What happened with the 1918 wheat penny?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What happened with the 1918 wheat penny?

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:53 pm

I have been searching a few bags of wheats lately and I have noticed something that I have seen before but it got me thinking about it again. Just about all the 1918 wheat pennies I find are smooth. Very seldom do I find one that has any quality to it all. All the other years I find good quality coins for once in a while but not the 1918 penny. Did they do something different that year when they made them? Have anyone of you noticed this when you search wheats?

Another question I have is why do I find so many BU grade pennies from the years 1955 - 1958 but you don't find any where near as many from the years 1950 - 1954 ? Why does just 3 or 4 years make such a difference in their condition? Whether they are 53 years old or 57 years old their condition should be about the same.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: What happened with the 1918 wheat penny?

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Question 1: yes, I've noticed that too, and I haven't looked at nearly as many wheats as you, I'm sure. So I'd be interested in the answer if there is one.

Question 2: it's a fact that when the change to Memorials was made people started saving '58 wheats, and no doubt whatever other wheats came their way - which, in 1959, 1960, would've have been predominantly cents from the mid-'50's. Tons were likely socked away, having seen minimal circulation.

Sound reasonable? :P
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby abe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:35 pm

As far as I know there is nothing special with the 1918's except it was the 1st year with VDB on the shoulder.
In 1916 the obverse was modified a little to give the cent a sharper look. Back in the day people really
used their money and most didn't have the luxary of saving or hoarding. Shoot I'm feel great when I find
any wheat from the teens or 20's with at least half the wheat lines.
Most 1918's were well struck, so there wasn't really any problem with the dies,
they were just well used (to death).
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:50 pm

I don't think there was a composition change due to WW1. But if the government changed the metal composition ever so slightly-it might cause 1918 cents to wear differently.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby daviscfad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:08 am

I have heard worn out dies cause some of these problems so maybe that's it
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to USA Numismatics