What is something gullible that you did?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What is something gullible that you did?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:39 am

I thought this would be an interesting question to pose- What is something gullible that you did? This may be something you did as an impressionable kid or even more recently. I'll start. When I was a young boy I had a Barber dime Whitman album. I remember the 1894-S was covered up and said something like "Rare- Only 24 Minted." My younger brother and I started talking and we were saying "What if some eccentric old millionaire actually put an 1894-S in there. We will never know if we don't remove the cover-piece." And of course we removed it and found nothing!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What is something gullible that you did?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Bump- I'm surprised that nobody has posted a response to this. We've all done ill-advised things in our lives.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby beauanderos » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Nothing to do with gullible... but certainly ill-advised :roll: So I'm at work just right now, my last thirty minute break. I like to take a power nap
for the final twenty minutes in the conference room where no one ever goes. So I have my feet propped up on a chair, nice and comfy and I think
"why don't I have just one more sip of icy cold lemonade?"

I had forgotten to screw the lid on tightly.

The icy cold lemonade went down the front of my shirt. :oops:

So much for my nap. :sick: :x
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby silverflake » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:53 am

So its October 1979 and I am 10 years old and I decided to go out and rake a huge pile of leaves. I lived in Massachusetts so theres plenty to be raked. I wanted to jump in the pile. Gosh that seemed so fun at the time. We had a small yard so to make a big pile I had raked darn near half the yard up. After a bit of bellyflopping I grew bored. My Dad comes out the back door and says to me "Now that you raked them all, I'll give you two bits a bag if you bag them." My first thought is 'cha-ching! Cash!' But my second thought was 'what the heck is a bit?' I just assumed it was his generations term for a buck. So I went to town stuffing hefty bags full of New England leaves. When i finished I remember I had stuffed 12 bags choc-a-block full when my Dad came out. Didnt want to rip him off with half filled bags for 2 bucks each. He was clearly impressed and pulled out his wallet and handed me 3 dollars. I was thinking, he probably doesnt carry 24 bucks on him. Thats a lot of dough. I sheepishly say to my Dad, "Um, is this it?" And he looks at me and says "well, 12 bags, 2 bits a bag, unless my math is wrong you earned $3." I still must have looked numb to him so he says, "Two bits....twenty five cents.....a quarter....." My shoulders drooped and my head dropped. He helped me put the bags away and on top of an honest days work I had received an education.

So, keep stacking even if its only two bits at a time.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverhead » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:59 pm

I keep clicking on these stupid Yahoo articles ever now and then :shh:
silverhead
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Goldilocks » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:57 pm

I remember when I was a young whipper snapper I didn't want to get a ticket for reckless driving which in VA is 20 miles over the limit. Being the clever young lad I was I'd always set the cruise on the interstate to 84 thinking if I got a ticket at least it wouldn't be reckless.... I did this for years (luckily without getting caught or having/causing an accident) before I found out that anything over 80 was automatic reckless!
Goldilocks

Postby ScottyTX » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 am

When I was a very young boy, my two older brothers convinced me to do all sorts of things. I remember my mother throwing a fit one time because I had all my coat pockets and pant pockets completely stuffed with price tags from the clothes in the department store. My brothers had convinced me that if I pulled off enough tags and took them to the register that I could get free tickets to the local amusement park (astroworld).
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics