silver certificates

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

silver certificates

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:31 am

Anyone know of a good website for info on silver certificates? I have a bunch of old, worn ones and am pretty sure they have no value to them (except my grandfather gave them to me).
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: silver certificates

Postby theshoenlebens » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:21 pm

No values but a cool site to see what is what. The index page has information for ALL kinds of currency.
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/count ... SA/USA.htm
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:18 pm

hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Of course, if there are any star notes, I'd put them into the SAVE pile. I've always been a fan of the 1935 series of silver certs. Some many different printings over a vast time period. Some have the In God We Trust motto and some don't (depending upon the series).

If I was fortunate to receive a treasure trove of I'd sort them by series. Then I'd keep the best one of each series (1935 B, 1935 C, etc). For those with ink markings, nasty stains, etc., I'd donate those to a local coin club to hand out to kids at a show. Fun stuff.

Regardless, hop aboard the Way Back Machine and think about the purchasing power of those silver certs in their heyday.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to USA Numismatics