Fancy Serial Number bills?

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

Fancy Serial Number bills?

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:57 am

Do any members look for fancy serial number bills or star notes? I'm interested in seeing if this would be a good way to expand the CRH when turning in dumps, search bills, then buy coin with the rejects. Experiences?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Re: Fancy Serial Number bills?

Postby uthminsta » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:00 pm

I would like a bill that has my complete birthdate as its serial. I think anyone would think that's cool. As for how profitable they'd be, I have no clue. The market would be terribly difficult to figure out, I'd imagine.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:39 pm

I buy $1 stars on occasion...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:09 pm

I look at every FRN I get. I keep all star notes. I look for and keep any fancy serial numbers I find including low and high numbers. I have kept notes with serials that are birthdates and years. I check a site called uspapermoney.info and keep any notes that are rare. I also keep any old notes that are in nice shape even if they are not rare. I don't know if they are worth much more than face, but I use it as my cash stash that is not in the bank. I can always spend them if I need to.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:07 pm

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:20 pm

I've never done business with this guy, so do your own research before buying. However, I've seen a dealer with a very memorable name who has LOTS of fancy serial numbers. His name is Jhon E. Cash (like the late singer). His website is jhonecash.com and he has lots of birth dates included with the fancy s/n's. The website has some very expensive stuff, but I seem to remember lots of items in the $10 to $25 range.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to USA Numismatics