Some German help please...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Some German help please...

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 pm

Mintage or anything.....can't find this one.

TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Some German help please...

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:54 am

Cool coin from the German hyperinflation era. A quick look and I couldn't find much on it. One site that appeared to have some discussion on it caused my real-time virus minder to go off, so I didn't look at it.

As you know it's a 1 million mark coin

Hard to read some of the characters, but I parsed out most of them and found this cross-link

http://www.ma-shops.com/berger/item.php ... 20&lang=en

notgelddess is emergency money
Staatl indicates state/government
Sachs specific state
huttenwerke is steelworks
Freiberg is a city which issued it
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:55 am

I can't find any info on that coin but I do know history and in the 1920's Germany was suffering from Hyperinflation brought on by reparations to the allied powers for Germany's involvement in WWI. It got so bad the government printed 50,000,000 and 1,000,000,000 mark notes and a million marks wouldn't buy a loaf of bread. If you are interested, here is a wikipedia article on Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_ ... r_Republic

This was an excellent example of the government printing more money to pay its debts and without anything to back it, caused their money to become worthless. Years ago, I read that the German mark was so worthless, that people papered their walls with it. Anyway good luck on your search.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks guys. I read the story behind the coin after finding a 10,000 mark coin. This one is just hard to find period. Found one sold on ebay for $30. But that doesn't tell me much about rarity and such.

Thanks
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 am

A qualitative assessment of rarity is in that link I posted, which had what appeared to be a BU example for sale at low double-digit numbers. So not terribly rare, which makes sense; as I understand it they pumped these things out by the millions or billions.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:27 am

I'm thinking they're not so rare. I got one in change the other day at Der Wienerschnitzel.

der.jpg
der.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:47 am

Rare.....maybe not in mintage.....but I've gone through a lot of German coins and have never seen the hyper-inflation coins.

Do you have any......? :thumbup:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Verbane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:19 pm

This is Notgeld.

Does someone here own or have access to the old Lamb Catalog? You can get one on Amazon. I haven't been able to justify this purchase yet.
CATALOG OF GERMAN WAR TOKENS by Robert Lamb

Joelscoins has a listing of an old catalog of German Notgeld coins on the web with prices. Try here:
http://www.joelscoins.com/notgeld/notgeldger1.htm
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics