Asian coin ID help

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting, converting, using, and saving world coins.

Asian coin ID help

Postby Z00 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:18 am

My latest batch of world coins has about 20 of these. I am hoping someone can ID it quickly before I go searching thru pictures. :D

Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (69.6 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Asian coin ID help

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 am

japan 10 yen
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:47 am

Many thanks.
Is there a site that will help ID coins with pics sorted by buildings, birds, animals, people, etc.?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 am

Z00 wrote:Many thanks.
Is there a site that will help ID coins with pics sorted by buildings, birds, animals, people, etc.?

How to identify and find the value of your foreign coins
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:09 am

I had looked at that site. I didn't see a picture that showed the temple.
Maybe I should start a collection of images of stuff the has no western writing and put it on a web page.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bluegill » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:53 am

For coins with animals, this site can sometimes be of help.
http://www.coinzoo.net/

Other than the World Coin Gallery site, some editions of the Krause catalog of World Coins has an identifier section, But it is about as just as limited...
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby wheatie_fan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:01 am

The top of your first pic has three symbols, two of which mean Nippon or Japan. There is also the symbol for 'yen' at the 5 o'clock position. Also lots of Japanese coins have a circular flower which is supposed to be a chrysanthemum. Here are lots of examples on numista. Note the flowers or the Nippon symbols.

Your 10 yen is a little older and probably has a reeded edge. They are supposed to be harder to find and maybe a little more valuable than the ones with plain edges.

No easy references but after enough time you get to see patterns and can come pretty close to the country a coin is from. I may not know at a glance if a coin is from Taiwan or China, but I can tell that it's more likely from there than Nepal or Thailand. . .
wheatie_fan

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:09 pm

wheatie_fan wrote:The top of your first pic has three symbols, two of which mean Nippon or Japan. There is also the symbol for 'yen' at the 5 o'clock position. Also lots of Japanese coins have a circular flower which is supposed to be a chrysanthemum. Here are lots of examples on numista. Note the flowers or the Nippon symbols.

Your 10 yen is a little older and probably has a reeded edge. They are supposed to be harder to find and maybe a little more valuable than the ones with plain edges.

No easy references but after enough time you get to see patterns and can come pretty close to the country a coin is from. I may not know at a glance if a coin is from Taiwan or China, but I can tell that it's more likely from there than Nepal or Thailand. . .

I have a decent pile of the 10 yen coins......like 200 or so.....and while stacking them I noticed a few with the reeded edge.....would be nice to know if they have a premium. Thanks for that info....!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Bluegill » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:52 pm

As wheatie_fan had mentioned earlier, the reeded edges were earlier coins. According to Krause, the reeded edge coins were minted from 1951 thru 1958. In 1959 they became smooth edged.

As far as rarity or possible premiums, in the whole series, only 3 years were there less than 100 million produced, 1957, '58 and '59.

50 million, 25 million and 62.4 million respectively. In '73 they started minting them in the billions.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby JeremyM » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:16 pm

1954, Hirohito (Showa) Year 29
JeremyM

Return to World Coin Collecting & Numismatics