SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$43, NOW $44+

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: SILVER - WAS $31-$49, WAS $33-$43, NOW $44+

Postby Country » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 pm

I guess the big question is did everyone buy the one-year dip increasing your SILVER holdings, or have you sold off some your holdings of SILVER since then? Personally, I have more SILVER now then I did then. How about YOU!

For the past few months, SILVER has been consolidating. I think things will get HOT again this fall, starting in August. NOW is a great time to stack, and we are in the OFF-SEASON, moving into summer.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Chief » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 am

I have not bought much this year with the decreased prices, except when Ag was at around $28. All my new Ag is from CRH. Haven't sold a damn dime. I agree right now is a great time to stack cheaper than last summer/fall. The prediction for $100/toz. Ag has seemed like a crazy thought the past 5 months, but damn, all the QE and Federal spending will come into play and make a big impact on PM prices.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:22 am

I'm wondering if today's spike in silver has anything to do with the spike in lease rates 2 weeks ago.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm

About $26.90 now. Group buy time? Wait for Europe to fully crater and then buy?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:32 pm

Wow, some drop today! I am surprised it got down to 26 and change and if I had a stack of FRN's that were not already allocated I would be buying now. Too bad I jumped the gun too many over the past year since the peak. I should have waited, but then again I probably would have blown the money some other way. I am not too worried about it. Actually I going to check e-bay for deals right now. I do have some paypal funds I can blow. :mrgreen:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Coppergot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:10 am

I understand when buying silver from a business paying a little over spot to cover overhead. But lately as the spot price drops I'm running into individuals asking a premium for junk silver! So am I just a tight ass or are these people crazy?? I understand when buying eagles and maples they carry a small premium, but 90% and rounds? ?
Coppergot

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:39 am

I would not pay premiums except on rare stuff because if the Euro totally blows it could drop some more.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Big up today.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:39 pm

henrysmedford wrote:Big up today.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. We had some great discussions here.

I was in my LCS about an hour ago trading some Au for Ag. They were puzzled why PMs, especially silver, were up so much.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Country wrote:I guess the big question is did everyone buy the one-year dip increasing your SILVER holdings, or have you sold off some your holdings of SILVER since then? Personally, I have more SILVER now then I did then. How about YOU!

For the past few months, SILVER has been consolidating. I think things will get HOT again this fall, starting in August. NOW is a great time to stack, and we are in the OFF-SEASON, moving into summer.

Told Ya... :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:52 pm

I used the time to buy, and to lower my average unit cost by $1.50. I don't sell - I'm like a silver black hole... It comes in - it never goes out again. :mrgreen:
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby twentybux » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:54 pm

Country wrote:
Country wrote:I guess the big question is did everyone buy the one-year dip increasing your SILVER holdings, or have you sold off some your holdings of SILVER since then? Personally, I have more SILVER now then I did then. How about YOU!

Told Ya... :mrgreen:

+1 Yes you did. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 pm

So how do you guys think it's going to go? I still didn't get my order done yet because my dad's being paranoid and doesn't want me to buy on the internet. Should I buy as soon as possible before it goes higher or wait and see if it goes back down?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Looking forward to $31
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 am

We've got too many 30+ silver threads going at once for me to be interested in, so I'm going to limit any of my posting to this one and PM Rally.

I'm happy to see it back over 30, but I personally can't get too excited until we have a multi-week close over 35. (I understand traders will be very excited at the movement itself, because that's what they make money on, but that's not my interest.) This COULD be the start of the next phase of the bull rally, and I would definitely want to be in the market now versus later, but it's truly impossible to be sure where we are.

Except that if you have physical, you are protected.

What I tend to believe?

There is a pattern to the price manipulation, remember. First QE. Intervention reduced, and PM prices surge. Then TPTB realize that the QE effect has maxed, and is dropping. Then back to PM manipulation to force small investors from fleeing to PMs.

I tend to believe that we have only one more round of major QE left before people realize that the emperor has no clothes. That the next major round of manipulation will occur 6-12 months after the next major round of QE, and silver will drop again. But that will be the end of both QE and price manipulation. QE will be seen to be ineffective. PMs will be seen to be manipulated and physical will reign, and prices will surge. As part of this we will likely see a major headline event (bank/currency failures, war, realization that physical is tight, etc) that will cause the next bull run phase to kick-off.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:02 am

Adder - Murphy of GATA is saying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwkztXa8qQ that JPM is toast and the manipulation is over. That would be a game-changer, but I'll believe it for sure when I see it.
68Camaro

Postby reddirtcoins » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 am

Up $1.00... wow!!
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby brian0918 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 am

One of these days, I'll start buying low and selling high. The only time I've ever done that was when I first started buying, and even then it didn't seem low at the time, only later in hindsight. I guess it's in human nature to not want to buy before the bottom, and to want to be sure it is consistently going up before buying (at which point the price may start to drop).
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:45 pm

Ok. This is me. just posting here because I noticed we're at almost 1000 posts and I haven't posted in like 900 posts. I have no views to express. I may or may not be drunk. Somebody point out when they get post number 1000 on this thread.

That is all.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:58 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Ok. This is me. just posting here because I noticed we're at almost 1000 posts and I haven't posted in like 900 posts. I have no views to express. I may or may not be drunk. Somebody point out when they get post number 1000 on this thread.

That is all.

OK, this post earns you a lunch at the Mongolian Buffet some time next week.

My post will be #994 in this thread.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:16 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
avidbrandy wrote:Ok. This is me. just posting here because I noticed we're at almost 1000 posts and I haven't posted in like 900 posts. I have no views to express. I may or may not be drunk. Somebody point out when they get post number 1000 on this thread.

That is all.

=P you're awesome. I'm on the one hour only schedule right now so it'll be like 11:10. does wednesday work for you?

avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 pm

avidbrandy wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

That is all.

=P you're awesome. I'm on the one hour only schedule right now so it'll be like 11:10. does wednesday work for you?

Yep, see you there. #996

And we've completely hijacked the thread so here's an on-topic article from zerohedge:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gold-and-silver-win-week-dow-sees-first-weekly-loss-seven
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:54 pm

I just went back and read the posts on the ride to $49. That was an exciting time. It reminds me that when it is going up, we dont know how far it will go before it falls off a cliff.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:37 am

slickeast wrote:I just went back and read the posts on the ride to $49. That was an exciting time. It reminds me that when it is going up, we dont know how far it will go before it falls off a cliff.

This is an over-simplification, but presents an idea. If you consider that gold and silver are in a long-term correction...

Except for times when the rules change (re-valuation, discussed later) the nature of stable corrections (which is the PM path for the past 10 years) is (on average) a straight line. Unstable corrections (irrational exhuberance, etc) that differ sharply either up or down eventually get pulled back to the trend line. If you look at a long-term data and use your imagination (in lieu of a curve fit) we've been below the line and have now corrected close to where one might argue we should be.

Gold is still under its trend line - should be $1800 and moving at $300/year if this idea stayed consistent.

Silver has been more "moody" and you can imagine several trend lines, but I would argue we should be at least 33-34 moving at a rate of $3-$4 per year, and more likely $36-37 moving at a rate of at least $6-$8/year. I wouldn't get too excited about a short-term correction back to the line until we hit $40+.

All the above presumes no "black swan". If PMs get revalued, we could easily see a "step-function" change to a new value for both. Some might call that going parabolic or "exponential", but in fact there can be two types of adjustments. One a semi-step function where PMs are simply revalued up (perhaps by a factor of 3 to 10). The second would be the resulting follow-on panic where it then goes parabolic for a short time. The second type would then crash back to the new, higher, trend line.

It's possible that silver could be re-valued independent of gold, and without other events, if it becomes knowns that prices were being manipulated and we are actually in a period of physical shortage. That could result in a near-instant re-valuation of silver to (say) $60 and a rate of increase of $20/year - a new trend line. Again, this would not be the "parabolic" move that some talk about, but a re-valuation.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:40 am

68Camaro wrote:
slickeast wrote:I just went back and read the posts on the ride to $49. That was an exciting time. It reminds me that when it is going up, we dont know how far it will go before it falls off a cliff.

This is an over-simplification, but presents an idea. If you consider that gold and silver are in a long-term correction...

Except for times when the rules change (re-valuation, discussed later) the nature of stable corrections (which is the PM path for the past 10 years) is (on average) a straight line. Unstable corrections (irrational exhuberance, etc) that differ sharply either up or down eventually get pulled back to the trend line. If you look at a long-term data and use your imagination (in lieu of a curve fit) we've been below the line and have now corrected close to where one might argue we should be.

Gold is still under its trend line - should be $1800 and moving at $300/year if this idea stayed consistent.

Silver has been more "moody" and you can imagine several trend lines, but I would argue we should be at least 33-34 moving at a rate of $3-$4 per year, and more likely $36-37 moving at a rate of at least $6-$8/year. I wouldn't get too excited about a short-term correction back to the line until we hit $40+.

All the above presumes no "black swan". If PMs get revalued, we could easily see a "step-function" change to a new value for both. Some might call that going parabolic or "exponential", but in fact there can be two types of adjustments. One a semi-step function where PMs are simply revalued up (perhaps by a factor of 3 to 10). The second would be the resulting follow-on panic where it then goes parabolic for a short time. The second type would then crash back to the new, higher, trend line.

It's possible that silver could be re-valued independent of gold, and without other events, if it becomes knowns that prices were being manipulated and we are actually in a period of physical shortage. That could result in a near-instant re-valuation of silver to (say) $60 and a rate of increase of $20/year - a new trend line. Again, this would not be the "parabolic" move that some talk about, but a re-valuation.

Nice analysis. I knew there was a reason we kept you around :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals