What's Your Oldest Favorite US Coin? - 1793 and Later

This forum is for the discussion of USA coin and paper money collecting that is unrelated to saving bulk Copper Bullion Penny, Nickel & CuNi Bullion Nickel, or Silver Coins for metal content. Feel free to post scheduled coins shows.

What's Your Oldest Favorite US Coin? - 1793 and Later

Postby Country » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:31 pm

The auction of some old US Large Cents got me to thinking. Our national coinage began in 1793; 218 years ago. What's your favorite oldest US coin minted 1793 and later that you have in your collection? Perhaps you know some history about your coin, perhaps not. Anyway, think about what was happpening in the US when your coin was minted. What famous people could have spent that coin at an early General Store? If you've got a photo, please post it so we can all see. Sometimes your favorite coin is a worn down penny from the beginning decades of our nation. It doesn't have to be a cameo or an MS-65 either. What do you think about your coin when you hold it in your hand?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: What's Your Oldest Favorite US Coin? - 1793 and Later

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:07 am

Favorite coin is a 1906 O Barber half that my Grandfather carried as a pocket piece. That was his birth year.

To call it even "about good" would be a push now as it's worn nearly slick and smooth. I'd tried to continue the tradition by carrying it with me, too, but after coming too close to losing it a couple times, I now keep it in a special place at home.

My wife and daughter already have instructions to tuck that in my pocket before I'm lowered six feet underground.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby abe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I don't have just a single favorite, but lincoln cents are my favorite to collect especially laminated lincolns.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rob72830 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 am

My favorite coin is my 1830 Bust half. Has full Liberty, has a nice patina and would probably grade XF except that someone years ago tried to punch a hole above Liberty's head. I paid $25 for it about 4 years ago. Sorry there is no photo. Can't figure out how to add one. My second favorite is an 1818 Quarter with a hole. I love the pre 1835 quarters because they were almost the size of half dollars. Bust coins are my favorites. I try to collect all that I can if the price is right and I don't mind a hole in the head.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:07 am

I can't really point to one coin and say it's my favorite. I've got a little bit of nostalgia and imagination to me, so I like the old stuff from around the time period of the Calif. Gold Rush, civil war, and the wild west... basically, the 1850's to 90's.

Within this range of time, one of my favorite pieces is an 1884-CC $20 Liberty, graded AU50 by PCGS. Being that it is from the Carson City Mint, then there is a strong possibility that it was used in the Old Wild West for some kind of commercial activity... whether it be pure or not. $20 got a lot in those days... the equivalent of about $2000 in today's terms. And this coin has been circulated, so I know it has seen some action. To imagine what the coin may have purchased, or who could have held it in their hand makes me attracted to this coin. I'll have to pull it out and show a picture of it, but other than the CC mintmark, it just looks like a regular old $20 liberty.

Another coin that comes to mind is actually not a US coin, but was used in California commerce during the time after the gold rush. It is a privately minted .25 Indian Head gold piece... made from California gold, and intended to help to fill the coin and currency shortage during the time. It was much easier and fairer to pay with a coin than it was with an unknown quantity of gold dust, pinched between the fingers of a greedy bartender. Private mints sprung up and produced these gold tokens for trade. I have an uncirculated example from 1875, PCGS MS62. This coin has a total population of less than 900 pieces. This one is worth a picture, and I'll post it up at another time.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:19 am

I have two favorites (they're my favorites because of their history more-so than their appearance).

First is my Racketeer Nickel. Second is my 1853 Trime.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to USA Numismatics