OK, So What If . . .

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: OK, So What If . . .

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:59 am

Property rights in space is actually a current topic in mining circles. Recently in May, the US Congress passes a bill: "Space Resources Exploration and Utilization Act of 2015". Essentially this law guarantees that space miners have an "exclusion zone" around their mining activities and they definitely are the owners the resources they collect and bring to market. However it does not implement a legal regime to recognize actual "ownership" of the property being mined. So there is still more to do on this legal frontier, as recognized property ownership is required to mortgage a property for billions in development funding.

Yesterday, Mining Weekly Online ( http://www.miningweekly.com ) asked me to do an interview for an upcoming article on the subject of space property rights. I'm sort of a world-renowned expert in the subject, after doing this: http://www.erosproject.com

And yes, despite the lack of "official" government recognition, I am the owner of Asteroid 433 Eros.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:55 am

Not to jump off topic again in this thread but did you hear of the man in the southern Midwest that shot down a Drone that he's seen circling his house. After the third day this happened to him he brought out his shotgun and shot it down. Subsequently, the owners of the drone called the cops and the homeowner was arrested for " criminal endangerment" and fined $1800 for the drone.

He is suing saying that not only does he not know what or where this drone came from but they might be watching his little girls or scoping out his place for a chance to rob him. He brought up a great point that in his rights as a homeowner you own 500 feet above your land. I hope to god this guy wins the lawsuit as this is ridiculous.

By the way, the drone was flying so low that he could visually see the camera with his naked eye.

Homeowner was interviewed on FBN yesterday.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:02 am

What the homeowner was worried about was what the camera could see.

And it wasn't naked eyes he was concerned about :D

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:54 pm

johnbrickner wrote:
They were very specific about the whole distraction thing the media plays to them and shared my concern about individuals being plugged into the technology and it not only decreasing their awareness but also added it's preventing cohesiveness at the community level. Interesting is they all fessed up that outside of their jobs, they don't answer their e-mails as "if you are not part of my inner circle texting me, it isn't important enough for me to deal with".

This honestly goes both ways. I originally come from a small ohio town that decades ago everyone knew everyone else story. Community based place. this was dying in the 50s and by the time my mom was growing up in the 60s it was a watered down version. I know more about my peers because of the internet then my mother did, BECAUSE of the net. Not exactly community cohesiveness but part of it.

Other forms of communities are forming as well, such as this one. Ive been part of several others focused around other topics. This is a powerful cultural tool itself. Instead of all of us RCers (and other related forums or other topics) at best gathering around a few books or local friends with similar interests we can build online communities that further the knowledge of all of us. the resolve, the adaptability of our logic and actions. For me this has been extremely valuable. Indispensable in fact.

further it technology doesnt in fact insist we loose that local community, it just lets us bypass parts of it. We CHOOSE to do the rest. local mormons close to me prove this. Unlike amish they are fully engaged to the internet and the like. All have cell phones but they have as much community cohesiveness as they ever did. So the real issue might not be technology at all, but what common denominators would make such desirable to people? Generally religion is the cohesive factor. Most Ive known have no real desire to have their nose in their neighbors lives beyond where it might affect them. Which devolves into political or religious goals. So, basically no easy fix if it indeed signals something is broken.

the biggest issue I see with this myself is that it is so much easier to guide opinion now. By the 80s politics was basically reduced to campaign slogans with minimal backing them. Its further reduced now to memes placed into picture form with a few words. If we break this down further though I dont see that tech made issues worse only different. Some things are better some worse, but the same can be said of the past when community was important, and media had slightly more depth. The most draconian governments and cultures on earth did it all without this tech. Many make the case we have surpassed that today, people are more readily controlled today, but this is simply false. People were always at the whims of what they knew, while they can watch social cues being triggered online, its also drastically easier to find second opinions then ever before. Showing its a failure of millions of individuals to bypass what is easy to find and take the time to seek out things closer to the truth. look at ww2. society took most everything they were told at face value, no chance for alternate opinions or stances, there was no other source of data. If the internet had existed back then the range of opinions would have obviously been wider.

A fully engaged and aware public? could use these same tools they think hinder these issues and do the exact opposite with them. blaming the tech itself for communities and individuals only doing this in certain regards is just silly. imo. I personally see more benefits then I see hindrances. I can access knowledge from humans from all around earth and across time much more readily then I could if I relied only on what knowledge made it to my local library. My great grandfather story imo highlights this. Obsessed with learning like myself. He read ALL the books on topics he liked at his local small town library. So rode his bike 40 miles as a teenager to go to a city with a larger library. more knowledge. He got home VERY late, and got in trouble with his parents, they saw no use to his actions and thought it a waste of time and dangerous. So he left home and lived in the woods off the land and doing odd jobs close to that larger city so he could access the library. eventually finding love, and a job, (until he was drafted into ww2). The net dwarfs the knowledge those truly seeking it can find in any local library. A very powerful tool for the ones I know who use it well.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:46 pm

silverstacker wrote: By the way, the drone was flying so low that he could visually see the camera with his naked eye.

That drone stuck around long enough for him to become concerned and go get a shotgun, and it was low enough for him to hit with a shotgun. I'm on his side of this one.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:41 pm

http://www.planetaryresources.com/techn ... bservation

Rich is hardly alone in thinking this wont be done soon or at all. However anyone who doubts its possible might want to look at these guys. I mean among those working on this are people who have lead Mars rover missions and the like. they shouldnt have a problem with funding, being backed by microsoft, google and other billion and millionaires. They also have ingenious plans for using less energy to move their mining equipment, fueling them while in space and much cheaper communications systems. If it Is possible in the next few decades it will happen, that much is clear. Ignoring what war or other issues might hinder it.

also very cool idahocopper. what made you pick that particular asteroid to attempt to claim?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:35 pm

Treetop wrote:Rich is hardly alone in thinking this wont be done soon or at all. However anyone who doubts its possible might want to look at these guys. I mean among those working on this are people who have lead Mars rover missions and the like. they shouldnt have a problem with funding, being backed by microsoft, google and other billion and millionaires.

Wrong class of people - they need to involve the trillionaires (if there were any). The Microsoft and Google execs don't have enough money to fund this, times 100.

There are a ton of pseudo-science websites telling people all kinds of crap; even one I'm familiar with saying that fusion is on the way. That one isn't true, and most of the rest of these others aren't either.

Oh, on the start-up playtoys of the internet millionaires, like SpaceX... Yeah - they are claiming to be able to do things cheaper, better, faster. Maybe they will; maybe they can cut some corners, eliminate some bureaucracy, etc. More power to them if they can. They have the advantage of having the books already written for them - the technologies for conventional space flight were funded by the taxpayers during the 50s-80s by the existing aerospace companies (and their heritage divisions) - so SpaceX can do things cheaper it's in part because all the "inventioning" was already done for them. Now let's see if they really know how to apply that - my guess is it'll be a mixed bag. Their inexpensive junior engineers with stars in their eyes may be smart but they're not experienced, they don't have enough senior oversight, and (I'm betting) they don't know what they don't know. That's a viscous double-edged sword, and the software gurus funding these don't understand hardware very well at all. So their team will do some things better because they don't know not to be different, and they'll take that step or two forward, to be followed by a larger step backward when they have a failure, as they recently did. Hardware is an unforgiving bitch. When you have millions of lines of code and a subroutine blows up, during HWIL testing, you diagnose, edit, recompile, move on. But when you have 10s of thousands (or millions) of parts, all interconnected, you'd better know what the hell you're doing, because you can have 9,999,999 of those parts right, but the one wrong part will blow you up, and you don't get to recompile and put out a patch, because you're dead.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:37 pm

I think you might be surprised at their attempt even if you think it will ultimately fail if you look at their site. Much more then cutting corners, entirely new approaches to many of the big questions.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:42 am

Treetop wrote:I think you might be surprised at their attempt even if you think it will ultimately fail if you look at their site. Much more then cutting corners, entirely new approaches to many of the big questions.

I am REALLY sorry I cant engage you in discussion. Why? I cant post. why cant I post? I would be breaking the rules.

no "PWI'ing" (posting while intoxicated)......its 0430 ....SUNDAY(!) and I am intoxicated....BIG TIME!! so i'm putting myself in the penalty box, till I sober up. I was poisoned by a large woman of Norwegian descent, actually one of the females of a large Viking clan, been in these parts a 175 years.....she called and said she had "cooked me some supper" and could she bring it over in a red Tupperware container?, this was nothing unusual, it was chicken and noodles in a gravy sauce. the last thing I remember was eating it on Friday evening......and now its ...what?.....0435 on sunday morn?!?.

but its good.....all vehicles are here, I dint go driving....I cant remember Sat.....not one minute....now I can remember things, but I can tell i'm intoxicated on heavens knows what, and don't know how long it'll keep going, so i'll exit left, till I get right. sorry for PWI'ing...again......Vikings can a very wicked brood...God love you all, n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:29 am

neilgin1 wrote:
Treetop wrote:I think you might be surprised at their attempt even if you think it will ultimately fail if you look at their site. Much more then cutting corners, entirely new approaches to many of the big questions.

I am REALLY sorry I cant engage you in discussion. Why? I cant post. why cant I post? I would be breaking the rules.

no "PWI'ing" (posting while intoxicated)......its 0430 ....SUNDAY(!) and I am intoxicated....BIG TIME!! so i'm putting myself in the penalty box, till I sober up. I was poisoned by a large woman of Norwegian descent, actually one of the females of a large Viking clan, been in these parts a 175 years.....she called and said she had "cooked me some supper" and could she bring it over in a red Tupperware container?, this was nothing unusual, it was chicken and noodles in a gravy sauce. the last thing I remember was eating it on Friday evening......and now its ...what?.....0435 on sunday morn?!?.

but its good.....all vehicles are here, I dint go driving....I cant remember Sat.....not one minute....now I can remember things, but I can tell i'm intoxicated on heavens knows what, and don't know how long it'll keep going, so i'll exit left, till I get right. sorry for PWI'ing...again......Vikings can a very wicked brood...God love you all, n

Hmmm, I sense a larger story here. Not sure if I should even ask!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby InfleXion » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:14 am

Treetop wrote:LOL, I love the john titor story. Except I mean he claimed to not only be from another time, but another timeline/dimension. This one was close enough to his own that things were very similar, he never even expected to make it home but rather hoped hed walk into a third similar future similar to his own that needed the same item he had come for, and that some other him or another walked into his original dimension with said item. Some early computer. We know we arent on the same timeline he was though, by 2008 in his timeline the US was fully into a civil war. He did say many very uncanny things that make him either a very clever and even bordering on prescient figure or his story was true and he came from a different but similar version of earth.

I also found it highly entertaining, and not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The computer he supposedly came back for was an IBM 5100 to act as a translator between old technology and new (2038 and beyond) technology. The Year 2038 is in fact the real Y2K, because that is when clocks on 32-bit operating systems will reach the 32-bit integer limit and reset back to zero, which will cause problems with a lot of software. It's called the Year 2038 Problem. Were I so inclined, an investment in an IBM 5100 doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I wouldn't even know where to find one.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:51 am

Mossy wrote:
silverstacker wrote: By the way, the drone was flying so low that he could visually see the camera with his naked eye.

That drone stuck around long enough for him to become concerned and go get a shotgun, and it was low enough for him to hit with a shotgun. I'm on his side of this one.

dam right! what this poor fellow had to put up with?!?!? first, he has to contend with four neightborhood pervo's with the money to buy an $1800 drone and fix it up with a camera so these freaks could patrol the neighborhood backyards, looking to pinch off pictures of everybodies wife or daughter, who might be in swimsuits (OR NOT!)....and the guy who's defending his wife or daughters modesty, HE'S the ONE .....gets hauled off to Jail!!!!...while these pervo's walk free.....I would get a darn search warrant for their computers, coz if they're spending that kind of money to pervo in the neighborhood?..well then, I bet they got REAL FILTH on their hard drives, and then they could be subjected to a whole lot of sex offense charges.....who knows?, maybe a neighbor takes the law into their own hands......and that's all she wrote........bye bye pervo's, you cant live around here no more, gotta go, miserable filth.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals