Incompetent APMEX transaction

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Incompetent APMEX transaction

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:41 am

68Camaro wrote:Just in the past, month, within neutral and negative feedback, at least 3 cases of 2015 gold Maples being switched with something else. Plus several other cases of apparent bait and switch on other items. Lots of comments of slow shipping and poor feedback, plus shipping scratched, dinged, cleaned coins, etc.

Their poor feedback is still not dramatic, as a percentage of their total, but it's growing when you compare to 6-12 months ago.

After I've resolved this issue (hopefully) I believe I'm done with APMEX - too bad. But there are several other reliable suppliers that I've dealt with without this level of issue.

68.....just in case
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Canada-1-T ... 1085040236?

n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:12 pm

slickeast wrote:Rich, you are being Wal-Marted

Still not as bad as being GoldMarted.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Another 4 days later and this is the APMEX response through ebay.

"Our Returns Department will be in contact as soon as the item is checked back into inventory. We apologize for the wait."

Pathetic, but I didn't expect anything better. They've officially lost all my future business. My response to them, though again it means nothing to them.

Thank you for the reply (4 days later). Your communication was NOT a solution, but rather only an offer to communicate again at some indefinite future time. So far, for 6 straight weeks, 100% of the risk of this transaction (and that with me being a buyer already well-known to you) has been on me; 0% on you. The acceptable solution to this issue is to immediately send, to the correct address, by an appropriately securely packaged method, the correct item as described, which I purchased many, many weeks ago. Any delay in return by the USPS - if it is even delayed - and I'm sure the second package your shipped is already back in your possession - needs to be your issue, not mine.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Any updates on this? I may have to go with Provident for my next online transaction if APMEX doesn't get with the program.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Silence from apmex so far. Today is supposedly the first day I can protest to ebay.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:33 pm

InfleXion wrote:Any updates on this? I may have to go with Provident for my next online transaction if APMEX doesn't get with the program.

I already have been. :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:22 pm

InfleXion wrote:Any updates on this? I may have to go with Provident for my next online transaction if APMEX doesn't get with the program.

Today was first day I was allowed to protest directly to ebay. I asked ebay to intervene (again, such as that is), with this request:

The seller's response was not an offer to correct the matter - and to do it with specifics - but merely an offer to communicate at a later undefined date. The seller has not delivered the product - it has been 5 weeks now - and I ve lost all faith in this seller. I now just want my money back.
68Camaro

Postby Rosco » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:34 pm

I have good response by both Provident and JM Bullion
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:29 pm

In my ebay naivete I selected what by their process was the wrong category of protest - "item not delivered" - when I should have selected "wrong item delivered". So ebay rejected my first protest (because something was delivered) and I have to start a new one under wrong item delivered. Since I successfully returned it and APMEX has acknowledged that, APMEX now has only 3 business days to either return the money or agree to deliver the item. If not I get patched through to the ebay "high value claims" office. In ebay's defense, while I have no satisfaction yet, their response was immediate (they sent me an 800 number and a code to connect with a person) and the two people I talked to were intelligent and reasonable. So... the saga continues. To be picked up again on Tuesday.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:09 am

APMEX replied and noted that the shipment was still in transit. Last I had looked there was no update except return to sender for insufficient address. Now it doesn't say that, but rather it shows that the package has been bouncing around from PO to PO to PO to PO within Florida, for 14 days now. It's been back to my home PO one more time, then it was sent back out to swirl still more. The USPS isn't always the sharpest knife in the drawer and I've seen 3-4 instances of very weird tracking behavior, but I've never seen this level of PO whirlpool where the package can't ever find a home. There is obviously an issue with the packaging/addressing. I replied back to APMEX noting they have an issue here.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:16 pm

The saga ends - I have the coin in hand. (Despite me wanting a refund, but the story is ending here, I'm not giving it back.) The second delivery attempt went clear back to OK, sat there in uncertain circumstances with no tracking progress, and then voila! Despite my protest that I wanted a refund they resent back (same box - never opened) with a badly done handwritten correction. They had put the wrong POB on the package and to make it then impossible, they had somehow completely mangled my last name (so there was no way in the world that the PO could have even guessed who the real recipient should have been even if they got it to the right PO). They didn't correct my last name, and the handwritten correction is marginal at best, but today it does appear in my POB.

I'll never do business with them again. Counting my blessings this one ended even, even if nearly two months later.
68Camaro

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:29 pm

Glad it finally worked out for you!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Again, I have bought from APMEX since the mid 2000's and it's always been 99% problem free. One time I bought a $500 FV bag of 90% JFK halves and nine of them were 40%. I emailed them and told them about it... they sent me nine '64 halves in 6 days. They told me to keep the nine 40% halves, no charge.

I'm a Platinum member... does that matter?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 pm

Glad you're happy with them. I'm not and they lost my business (years worth) forever.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Wow. glad they made you whole in the end. :clap:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:11 pm

Treetop wrote:Wow. glad they made you whole in the end. :clap:

BOHICA? :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Only if I forget my lesson! lol
68Camaro

Postby Xelint » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:32 am

APEX did move there shipping facilities to Las Vegas earlier in the year. Wonder if that corresponds to the shipping/ delivery problem increase.
Xelint

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:50 am

Xelint wrote:APEX did move there shipping facilities to Las Vegas earlier in the year. Wonder if that corresponds to the shipping/ delivery problem increase.

Good point! No idea but it is a major event that could have gone badly in the near term.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 am

There's absolutely no excuse for sloppy, handwritten address labels--especially when the contents is a valuable gold coin--totally inexcuseable :thumbdown:
"IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO WIN THE GAME I WOULD PICK MICHAEL JORDEN...IF I HAD TO PICK ONE PLAYER TO TAKE THE LAST SHOT TO SAVE MY LIFE I WOULD PICK LARRY BIRD"--Pat Riley, Laker Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals