Best Coin Tubes ?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best Coin Tubes ?

Postby Rustynail » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 am

I've got my circulated 90% in wrappers, and an assortment of tubes...some of the tubes fit the denomination perfect with no rattles, some leave a lot to be desired. Which tubes have you had best luck with as far as a ideal fit?
I am always looking for 90% Halves and fractional Gold..to buy or trade for..PM Me
Rustynail

Re: Best Coin Tubes ?

Postby oober » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:49 pm

I like the square coinsafe tubes.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:54 pm

I love coinsafe tubes over the round clear ones with the screw on top.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Same as above, coinsafe. Anyone know a member that sells?
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 am

+1

I have more than one of the hard plastic ones that is petrified and the coins are trapped. It has to be broken to remove them.

I have a roll of BU 62 dimes in one of these and I don't think they can be removed without damaging them...Boiling water?

It's actually a subject for a new thread. How do I safely remove coins from a petrified tube?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:31 am

Thogey wrote:+1

I have more than one of the hard plastic ones that is petrified and the coins are trapped. It has to be broken to remove them.

I have a roll of BU 62 dimes in one of these and I don't think they can be removed without damaging them...Boiling water?

It's actually a subject for a new thread. How do I safely remove coins from a petrified tube?

Boiling water won't get hot enough, but oil would work. You'll need somewhere between 275-325F to soften the lid.

Personally, I'd just grab a heat gun and some gloves. If you get melted plastic stuck to the coins, lacquer thinner will dissolve the acrylic.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:49 am

Engineer wrote:

Boiling water won't get hot enough, but oil would work. You'll need somewhere between 275-325F to soften the lid.

Personally, I'd just grab a heat gun and some gloves. If you get melted plastic stuck to the coins, lacquer thinner will dissolve the acrylic.

I really don't se this process happening. Maybe just drop the roll in acetone?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:36 am

Thogey wrote:
Engineer wrote:

I really don't se this process happening. Maybe just drop the roll in acetone?

If you can handle using a heat gun to remove old paint, you can get the cap off that tube. All you need to do is get it warm enough to soften the cap without completely melting/burning the plastic. The lacquer thinner is only needed if you really fluff things up.

If you're too worried about torching the plastic, use some leather gloves and dunk the cap in a 300 degree fry daddy.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pachucko » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:40 pm

Engineer wrote:

Why not just put it in the freezer overnight and whack it good?
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:12 pm

Be sure and wear eye protection- some of those small hard plastic parts can be fairly sharp when they go flying.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby oober » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:20 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Same as above, coinsafe. Anyone know a member that sells?

I buy from JP's corner.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:26 pm

I have a bunch of Whitman, Harris, & Anco, etc clear plastic tubes of dimes, quarters & halves. Should I be concerned about them sticking shut? I've had no problems from them so far for the last decade. I've recently switched to the square Numis tubes because the source for the round tubes dried up (and the square ones organize easier).
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Thogey,
Any idea how they became "petrified"? Humidity/moisture, heat/cold? I have a bunch of the clear plastic tubes and no problems so far but want to make sure I don't cause myself problems... Any insight as to what caused the "fossil-ization" of your tubes?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm

I don't know how it happened. The caps come off but the coins are stuck and the plastic is yellow.

I really don't want to use chemicals or strike them with a hammer.

Avoid the hard plastic ones for long term storage.
Thogey

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:22 pm

Hmmh, mine are clear. Maybe sunlight caused? (yellowed). None of mine were stuck, but I did accidentally drop a tube of halves once and the tube/lid shattered. The coins scattered but were unharmed. Just a thought...
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:01 am

Thogey wrote:I don't know how it happened. The caps come off but the coins are stuck and the plastic is yellow.

Since its the tubes, you'd need a steady 340F to soften the acrylic. A commercial convection oven would do the trick, but I wouldn't trust a standard household oven.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Thogey wrote:I don't know how it happened. The caps come off but the coins are stuck and the plastic is yellow.

Another idea: thermal shock

Score the tube up and down to create cleavage planes, then change the temperature really fast. Ice water to boiling water, or vice-versa.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Shazbot57 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Engineer wrote:

Another idea: thermal shock

Score the tube up and down to create cleavage planes, then change the temperature really fast. Ice water to boiling water, or vice-versa.

I've never tried with coins but I've seen folks turn a can of Dust Remover spray upside down and spray metal objects when all else fails and a saws-all isn't handy. The propellant acts like a freezing spray. Then they smack with a hammer. If you get the metal cold enough it will break or shatter when struck. I would imagine if sprayed on plastic and lightly tapped it would crack or break. U might want to proceed with caution and don't hold me responsible for outcome...
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverspaz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:05 pm

back to the original question.

Best coin tubes - :)

What is the best coin tube for wrapped rolls? Gov issue or self wrapped.

I like the coinsafe tubes, but they don't hold my mint rolled coins well. they stick out just enough where the lid does not snap back tight.

Anyone here store wrapped rolls in tubes?

:thumbup: :thumbdown: :?:
silverspaz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rustynail » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:40 am

FWIW- I decided to go with coin safes.
I am always looking for 90% Halves and fractional Gold..to buy or trade for..PM Me
Rustynail

Postby Shazbot57 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 am

:?: Has anyone else had problems with the older clear Whitman, Harris, or Anco, clear plastic tubes for dimes, quarters or halves? I have a lot of rolls (6+ dozen) for my 90% & 40%. I keep them in a cool, dry area and they rarely see any light. :?:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverflake » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:33 pm

Best coin tubes? Full coin tubes! Definitely the best. Beats empty ones any day.

Keep stacking! Pats rule!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:13 am

silverflake wrote:Best coin tubes? Full coin tubes! Definitely the best. Beats empty ones any day.

Keep stacking! Pats rule!

Bravo...except the PATS comment :thumbdown:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals