NGC Error?

Discussion related to coin grading criteria, services, and companies.

NGC Error?

Postby silverstacker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:03 pm

I have a question to ask. I have never come across this before. I'm listing a few things on the bay this evening and I've come across a 2004 ASE that has a tag card up top that says 1987 Eagle S $1 MS69.

Has anyone ever come across such an error? and if so whats the best thing to do?

Here is the picture.

Thanks!
Attachments
07072014 001.JPG
07072014 001.JPG (93.35 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: NGC Error?

Postby coppernickel » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:35 pm

This screams, problem to me.

I would shy away.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverstacker » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:48 pm

coppernickel wrote:This screams, problem to me.

I would shy away.

This is my own coin. I have a number of MS69 coins that I was looking to list and I came across this one that came to me roughly 6 years ago.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Hit them up for their guarantee?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:49 pm

NGC does not grade each individual ASE, in my opinion. It is impossible to physically identify so many MS-69 coins.

It's like any collectible item with a "COA", commemorative stamps, etc. to sell at a premium.

This example only proves NGC's inattentiveness in this matter.

I've dealt with their grading service concerning colonial Spanish cobs and reales. I was very unimpressed with their performance.

Mind you, they will charge you dearly for 15 seconds of incompetence.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tourney64 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:31 pm

Most likely China conterfeit.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:56 pm

I am by no means an expert but my first guess would be somebody pocketed the silver coin and popped a fake in there. But then again, I thought the cases are supposed to be tamper proof?
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:18 pm

This is not new. Some years back my local coin shop had a PCGS graded Mercury dime with a label for a Buffalo nickel. The dime itself was nothing special mint-wise, but it went for good money.

I guess this happens often enough that it's become its own sub category of slab collecting.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

It does happen quite a bit. A buddy of mine collects these packaging errors just for fun. Let me know if the coin is still for sale. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby silverstacker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:21 pm

It finally sold on ebay. Any guesses on what it webnt for before i shock you??? :o
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:28 pm

$45
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Chaboo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Thogey wrote:Mind you, they will charge you dearly for 15 seconds of incompetence.

I had it happen too - they swapped 2 of the coins in my order - Thogey hit the nail on the head. The cost to fix their error was completely on me.
Chaboo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:15 pm

The final price it went for was $145
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Wow! People are crazy! This niche market might encourage more errors.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:52 am

Wow! I have a Morgan dollar that was slab bed by NGC and the year on the tag is wrong. Maybe I should sell it! Hey, what happens when they get the grade wrong! :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby ihavecoins » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:03 pm

WHat is the coin, year and grade? Is it for sale?
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 pm

It is in storage and would take to long to locate. When things settle down a bit, I may take a look. It could easily be a few months, as there is lots going on now.

Recyclersteve

Return to Coin & Currency Grading