Casting .999 Ni into one-ounce bars

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Casting .999 Ni into one-ounce bars

Postby Corsair » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:42 pm

Question-

Is anyone on the forum capable of and/or willing to cast .999 Canadian nickel into one-ounce bars? They wouldn't need to be anything fancy. I was going to drop this in the Buy It Now section since I would want to do business with this person, but I thought I'd post it here to gather ideas.

-David
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Re: Casting .999 Ni into one-ounce bars

Postby didou » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:58 pm

May i ask why you would want to do this ?
Paying to loose the government backed guarantee and easily recognizable coin to get a generic bar ?
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby psi » Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 am

I'm not big on the idea of melting coins either but aside from that, why choose 1 oz as the weight? 5 or 10 lbs (or maybe a bit less) would be nice sized bars and would presumably reduce costs. A nice big .999 nickel coin is the 1968-86 nickel voyageur dollar, at 15.6 grams it's pretty close to 0.5 of a troy oz. Unfortunately face value is ~C$29 per lb instead of $5 so it may be some time before the melt value exceeds face value consistently.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 am

On eBay, it seems that one ounce bars go for far greater than what nickel spot is. Yes, I could undertand a one-pound bar. I'd be interested in anyone capable of doing that as well.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 am

Doesn't Market Harmony process scrap into bars? I may be thinking of someone else. The melting point of nickel is higher than copper (about 2700F versus 2000F), so that could be a limitation.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby didou » Sun May 01, 2011 10:57 am

brian0918 wrote:Doesn't Market Harmony process scrap into bars? I may be thinking of someone else. The melting point of nickel is higher than copper (about 2700F versus 2000F), so that could be a limitation..

I'm not sure what equipment is needed to make a 1oz nickel coin but i think that would be very specialized. Canadian mint was unable to mint 1 dollar nickel the same size they used to make silver and have the diameter reduced because the nickel is harder than silver (or copper and most metal coins are made off). That could be a bigger limitation than temperature.

corsair wrote:On eBay, it seems that one ounce bars go for far greater than what nickel spot is. Yes, I could undertand a one-pound bar. I'd be interested in anyone capable of doing that as well.

I need to take a look at that.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun May 01, 2011 11:27 am

brian0918 wrote: The melting point of nickel is higher than copper (about 2700F versus 2000F), so that could be a limitation.

Right on. I have talked to a few ebay base metal sellers and they all say the same thing. Still looking for a seller of 1lb. Ni bars. Someone plz post if you know.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins