Nickel Added to List of Critical Minerals in 2022

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel Added to List of Critical Minerals in 2022

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:05 am

How did we all miss this one?

In 2022 nickel was added to the list of Critical Minerals according to usgs.gov. Critical items are things we need to import because we don’t make enough of them domestically. I searched and found no mention of this on this website!

There are 50 items on the list including many obscure ones like cerium and cesium. I have no clue what either of them looks like.

My speculation is that if leading producers are hostile places that don’t like America, then stuff they export to us is in more danger of being cutoff. I do know that Norilsk Nickel (formerly traded under the symbol NILSY) no longer trades in the U.S. because of the war with Ukraine.

This is all the more reason to hoard .999 Canadian nickels and coins from other foreign countries (like France and South Africa) that are made of nickel.

Nickel is still reasonably priced IMHO and demand from electric vehicles alone could cause the price to go up sharply. No, not selling mine at anywhere near the current market price.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Nickel Added to List of Critical Minerals in 2022

Postby cwgii » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:36 am

Wozers. Sticker shock at eBay prices of CDN nickels.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:54 pm

cwgii wrote:Wozers. Sticker shock at eBay prices of CDN nickels.

Melt is currently $9.37/lb. per KitcoMetals.com. Since 100 .999 Canadian nickels is exactly one pound, that means they’re worth 9.37 cents each.

If they’re actually selling at a big premium to melt, that could mean that someone (hedge funds, Tesla, etc.) is artificially suppressing the price of nickel and sellers know it is really worth more and won’t sell near the melt price.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:18 pm

The sales I’m seeing on eBay are either just a very small lot of coins or tougher dates like 1948, etc.

Very little in the way of sizable lots. I do see where 50 rolls (2,000 coins) sold for $500 (25 cents each plus $27.54 shipping) last month. It doesn’t specify dates, but I’m assuming these are all .999 nickels. That was the ONLY lot of decent size that I could find.

Recyclersteve

Postby cwgii » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:56 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:The sales I’m seeing on eBay are either just a very small lot of coins or tougher dates like 1948, etc.

Very little in the way of sizable lots. I do see where 50 rolls (2,000 coins) sold for $500 (25 cents each plus $27.54 shipping) last month. It doesn’t specify dates, but I’m assuming these are all .999 nickels. That was the ONLY lot of decent size that I could find.

Lol.not all of us have enough bucks for that kind of investment.
cwgii

Postby Silver4face » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:06 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:The sales I’m seeing on eBay are either just a very small lot of coins or tougher dates like 1948, etc.

1948 should NEVER be melted unless nickel reaches 80-100 dollars a pound. We will all be dead before that happens.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Silver4face » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:09 pm

However, I do like this thread, but I have to question how serious the U.S. govt is regarding Ni.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:56 am

Silver4face wrote:However, I do like this thread, but I have to question how serious the U.S. govt is regarding Ni.

I do remember Elon Musk coming out publicly and saying "I need all the nickel I can get!" Perhaps that had something to do with it being added to the critical list.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:17 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Silver4face wrote:However, I do like this thread, but I have to question how serious the U.S. govt is regarding Ni.

I do remember Elon Musk coming out publicly and saying "I need all the nickel I can get!" Perhaps that had something to do with it being added to the critical list.

I also remember those words from Elon Musk. It was either last year or the year before. However, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. For example, Canada reduced the composition of the nickel to ZERO nickel , and they did so 23 years ago. If the U.S. was serious, they would do the same thing.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins