Possible 1942 silver, no mint mark

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Possible 1942 silver, no mint mark

Postby cwgii » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:15 pm

I can find no reference to this possibility, so I am fairly certain, there is another explanation. It has the dark coloring of the manganese.
Hope to get the OL to take a picture with her , newer, phone.
cwgii
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Possible 1942 silver, no mint mark

Postby cwgii » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:37 pm

I have no knowledge on how to post a photo.help
cwgii

Postby Silver4face » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:54 pm

Can you take the coin to your local coin shop and have them test for silver content? I was able to do so with a piece of jewelry that actually contains a small amount of silver.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:01 pm

My plan.
cwgii

Postby NiBullionCu » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:53 pm

Hate to burst your bubble, but there are no known silver war nickels without a mintmark over the dome.

Yours could be the first; but highly unlikely.

I have seen many ugly, dark jeffersons that at first blush, look like ugly war nickels, but, if no mintmark over the dome... not silver.
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:18 pm

I thought of a Henning nickel but those should be dated 1944
dakota1955

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:30 pm

cwgii wrote:I have no knowledge on how to post a photo.help

Hi Cwgii,

I use ImgBB as of late. If you go to the site, and click "Start Uploading" it will pop up with a file explorer for your computer.

After you select your file, you'll click the green "Upload" at the next screen. There will then be a link, as well as a drop down where you can select different links to the image. The default one ("Viewer links") will take people to the image if they click it, or put it in their browser. You can also click on the dropdown for other links. The link used for the above image in this thread is the "BBCode" link option.

From there, you just add that link into the thread you want the picture in.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:13 am

I'm mystified at the fairly consistent and persistent amount of confusion (from many - so not targeting the OP) about how to upload images. It seems pretty obvious to me and required no study, no third party site or software.

You just click on the "upload attachment" tab and follow the directions to select the file from your device and choose whether to put it inline or not.

Where is the confusion coming from?

Edit - you do have to use the full editor though, not the quick reply version...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby cwgii » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:38 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:Hate to burst your bubble, but there are no known silver war nickels without a mintmark over the dome.

Yours could be the first; but highly unlikely.

I have seen many ugly, dark jeffersons that at first blush, look like ugly war nickels, but, if no mintmark over the dome... not silver.

I certainly agree. It just looks sooooo silver manganese dark. I really don’t think it is. But at least it generated some replies
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:39 pm

68Camaro wrote:I'm mystified at the fairly consistent and persistent amount of confusion (from many - so not targeting the OP) about how to upload images. It seems pretty obvious to me and required no study, no third party site or software.

You just click on the "upload attachment" tab and follow the directions to select the file from your device and choose whether to put it inline or not.

Where is the confusion coming from?

Edit - you do have to use the full editor though, not the quick reply version...

Only confusing to those of us with no computer skill.
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:41 pm

No idea where this. Load attachment tab is. Like many things it’s easy. AFTER you have done it a few times.
cwgii

Postby Silver4face » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:24 pm

dakota1955 wrote:I thought of a Henning nickel but those should be dated 1944

I have a 1944 Henning nickel, pulled it from a bankroll 11 years ago.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:45 am

I would love to get one.
dakota1955

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:03 am

cwgii wrote:No idea where this. Load attachment tab is. Like many things it’s easy. AFTER you have done it a few times.

If you're using a phone it's less obvious cause of the small screen, but look for the Post Reply button, not the Quick Reply button. I'm on my phone now and Post Reply is at the top and bottom of the thread to the left. When you open post reply you get access to the full message editor, and below the input box are two tabs, the first for message options and the second is "upload attachment". Let me know if you still don't see it.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins