Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Postby McKay Coppins » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Hello all - I'm a reporter for Newsweek magazine and I'm looking for nickel-hoarders to interview. I'm writing a story about the rising value of the U.S. nickel, and hoping a few of you can share your expertise/analysis. If you're willing to talk, shoot me an e-mail at mckay.coppins@newsweek.com. Thanks!
McKay Coppins

Re: Newsweek reporter looking for interviews

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Ut oh, better run grab some more nickels before this hits the press...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Email sent!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 pm

The news media has never been accurate about anything I knew something about. Never. News reporters are experts at writing, not at what they cover. And the US reporters treat every subject like it was going to win them the Putz Prize.

To be fair, the editor often requires articles to be re-written, and editors don't know much about anything but editing papers, so the editors might be the cause of the absolute garbage we sometimes see.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Uh, Mossy lets not get negative about an article that hasn't been written yet. If "McKay" reads your comment he might decide to find a different source, and therefore a LESSER source.
Last edited by barrytrot on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm

barrytrot wrote:Uh, Mossy lets not get negative about an article that hasn't been written yet. If "McKay" reads your comment she might decide to find a different source, and therefore a LESSER source.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Coppins and he seemed like a very nice gentleman. If he wants to write an article we should encourage him and help him. He is coming to us for answers so lets all play nice and help the guy out.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm

I sent him a PM and told him about the Portland mint when he first posted. This might help us penny sorters out.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm

barrytrot wrote:Uh, Mossy lets not get negative about an article that hasn't been written yet. If "McKay" reads your comment she might decide to find a different source, and therefore a LESSER source.

I've seen zero, repeat zero, accuracy in these types of articles. Especially if some sort of "gee whiz, looky what the dopes and weirdos are up to know" possible. Could be the reporter, could be the editor, always a "humorous take".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Mossy wrote:

I've seen zero, repeat zero, accuracy in these types of articles. Especially if some sort of "gee whiz, looky what the dopes and weirdos are up to know" possible. Could be the reporter, could be the editor, always a "humorous take".

Then don't contribute or read the article. No one is forcing you to. The man is doing his job and I, among others, would like to help him out with that. Like Barry said, give Mr. Coppins a fair shake before you start bashing him, and if you don't like the job that either he or his editors do, then don't read the article.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I think it's fair to question where someone intends to go with an article before deciding to participate in an interview. I don't know much about Mr. Coppins aside from browsing some of his writing just now on the internet, but the fact that he's taken the time to register here to request interviews seems to suggest that he's someone who does his homework. Anyway his stuff is out there if people want to check it out.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pachucko » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:39 pm

henrysmedford wrote:I sent him a PM and told him about the Portland mint when he first posted. This might help us penny sorters out.

I don't see how further exposure can help sorters, only hurt.

Ut oh, better run grab some more nickels before this hits the press...

Exactly.

Being seen as weirdos, dopes, or whatever.... I think will only help us.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tommybee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

If you guys think you are going to get a fair shake from a left-wing rag like Newsweek you haven't been paying attention. At best, you will be portrayed as kooks. Most likely you will be portrayed as violent, racist teabaggers who are hoarding metal and hoping for the implosion of the US economy. In other words, a threat. Newsweek has no interest in objectively reporting the news. It is only interested in furthering the interests of the modern progressive movement. It is not in the progressives' interests that people buy metals to protect themselves against their wealth distributionist, inflationary policies.

On the other hand, given its number of subscribers, if something does get published in Newsweek about nickel hoarding only 5-6 people will read it.

Newsweek was recently sold for $1. There is a reason for that and boy, did that buyer overpay....
Last edited by Tommybee on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommybee

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 am

I side with Mossy and Tommybee.Be careful.What we do is so outside of their everyday,doubt it will get fair and thought out reporting.Sure it might bring more exposure for us,but do we want it.Don't lay down with dogs.
Do some research on newsweeks owner.
That is all I will say for now.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:19 am

http://www.newsweek.com/search.html?q=M ... =relevancy

http://mckaycoppins.com/

Maybe this new young reporter will give us a fair shake.I read some of his blog and he is probably a very nice person.It's newsweek I don't trust.

http://www.mormontimes.com/article/1617 ... rce=voices
Only posted this story for his picture.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:06 am

The funny thing is that if the person wanted to write an article about how nickel hoarders are weird the forum posts above would be very quotable material :)

So you are battling against yourself here!
barrytrot

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 am

nickel sorters are lazy. they dont' have to sort anything.

real men sort pennies. (lol)
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am

As far as keeping this quiet... Nickel Hoarding is already going mainstream, we aren't going to stop it. Consider the developments within the past couple months:

1. Steven Colbert has a guest discuss Nickels as an investment opportunity on a nationwide TV program. (Newsworthiness of the show is for another discussion.)
2. US Mint seeks public input on composition change.
3. Obama's 2011 budget proposes composition change.
4. The earthquake in Japan led to massive new interest in in preparedness, most prepper sites have followed JWRawles/Suvivalblogs lead in suggesting the hoarding of nickels.
5. Announcement of new Copper ETFs.
Add all that to the continued erosion of the FRN and renewed interest in precious metals and commodities by the investment community.

Articles concerning Nickel hoarding are going to start popping up whether we like it or not. I say if its going to happen, I'd like to have Mr. Coppins get his info from someone like highroller rather than Mr. Colbert.

AGCoinHunter wrote:Ut oh, better run grab some more nickels before this hits the press...

Are you a 1%er yet? I don't think we have much time left.
Lets say only 1% of the population becomes enlightened, and has the resources to hoard some nickels. That 1% only needs to hold $825.00 each to dry up the supply.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:09 am

So, Mr. Coppins, there has been a lot of talk about you and around you, particularly regarding your magazine. I hope you are still game and will use the info provided by some of the experts here. Me? I'm just a newbie happy to be running with the big dawgs. But if I might be so forward as to suggest a response to the people here, would you want to remind everyone that your faith is all about prepping? Assure us that you will make every attempt to give your article a non-biased portrayal of the facts.

By the way, it was a visit by the late David O. McKay to my dad in a dream that led him, and, consequently his whole family, to a dunking and to sustain those that followed him.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:17 am

shinnosuke wrote:So, Mr. Coppins, there has been a lot of talk about you and around you, particularly regarding your magazine. I hope you are still game and will use the info provided by some of the experts here. Me? I'm just a newbie happy to be running with the big dawgs. But if I might be so forward as to suggest a response to the people here, would you want to remind everyone that your faith is all about prepping? Assure us that you will make every attempt to give your article a non-biased portrayal of the facts.

By the way, it was a visit by the late David O. McKay to my dad in a dream that led him, and, consequently his whole family, to a dunking and to sustain those that followed him.

I meant to mention this also. After looking at Mr Coppins' backgound(Mormon), If the "crazy nickel hoarders" are going to get a fair shake in an article, I think Mr Coppins is a good candidate.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Merwanseth » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 am

I agree with barrytrot:

"...The funny thing is that if the person wanted to write an article about how nickel hoarders are weird the forum posts above would be very quotable material :)
So you are battling against yourself here!..."

I respect the concerns of those who posted regarding accuracy, objectivity, intent, etc.

But Mr. Coppins has taken the time to become a member of Realcent. He can read the same posts that you I are reading. Thus, I'm not sure how logical it is to voice those concerns in a forum that Mr. Coppins is likely to be reading.

If anyone wishes to contact him to be interviewed, that's their business. But I'm not sure if it's a good idea to attack his intent, without knowing more about him, by lumping him together with every other media person you don't like depending on which side of the political spectrum you perceive they are on...
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:30 am

Aside from the fact if McKay Coppins should do this or shouldnt do this, I always hear all the new people say they like how everyone is so friendly and inviting here. I think Mckay deserves the same greeting here that we all did when we signed up. Thanks for joining mckay and welcome to realcent! :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:09 pm

Mr. Coppins,I hope you will not follow the mistakes of the other reporters who have covered this topic.It has only been covered as a story that focuses on the cost to the mint of making one and five cent coins,and the loses.Never mentioning the seinorage made on one dollar,quarter,and dime coins.Only looking at the effects of inflation and not the causes.
I am sure when you got this assignment you might have thought,Oh boy,what a big break this will be,and lucky me.
But this is one of the biggest stories going on in America that is never covered correctly.How the government and the Federal reserve are stealing from the people by way of inflation.I encourage you to do research on specie,Greshams Law,and what the founding fathers wrote concerning sound money and warnings against paper money backed by only promises.
And Andrew Jackson and Biddle fighting over the central banks.And also the shortage of coins after the civil war which led people to hoard coins instead of worthless paper being over printed at that time,and shop keepers minting their own coins.
All these things I have learned or relearned on this forum.These same problems have kept popping up over time and will continue to,until a return to sound money is made.
Look more at the causes then just the effects.There is no shortage of copper,nickel and zinc to result in the rising prices.
The shortage is of sound money policy in this country.
The fact is no one would be hoarding these coins if there was no inflation.I hope you can point this out.
The hoarding is a response by informed people who see this happening.The game is being changed by the top,with the goal posts always being moved up.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm

PennyPauper wrote:Mr. Coppins,I hope you will not follow the mistakes of the other reporters who have covered this topic.It has only been covered as a story that focuses on the cost to the mint of making one and five cent coins,and the loses.Never mentioning the seinorage made on one dollar,quarter,and dime coins.Only looking at the effects of inflation and not the causes.
I am sure when you got this assignment you might have thought,Oh boy,what a big break this will be,and lucky me.
But this is one of the biggest stories going on in America that is never covered correctly.How the government and the Federal reserve are stealing from the people by way of inflation.I encourage you to do research on specie,Greshams Law,and what the founding fathers wrote concerning sound money and warnings against paper money backed by only promises.
And Andrew Jackson and Biddle fighting over the central banks.And also the shortage of coins after the civil war which led people to hoard coins instead of worthless paper being over printed at that time,and shop keepers minting their own coins.
All these things I have learned or relearned on this forum.These same problems have kept popping up over time and will continue to,until a return to sound money is made.
Look more at the causes then just the effects.There is no shortage of copper,nickel and zinc to result in the rising prices.
The shortage is of sound money policy in this country.
The fact is no one would be hoarding these coins if there was no inflation.I hope you can point this out.
The hoarding is a response by informed people who see this happening.The game is being changed by the top,with the goal posts always being moved up.

++ Agree PP. There is a effect behind every cause. Now if Mr. Coppins can write a compelling enough article to encompass both the cause and effects and get the American Idol generation to understand he should win an award. Good luck McKay, we are pulling for you.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 pm

PennyPauper wrote:Mr. Coppins,I hope you will not follow the mistakes of the other reporters who have covered this topic.It has only been covered as a story that focuses on the cost to the mint of making one and five cent coins,and the loses.Never mentioning the seinorage made on one dollar,quarter,and dime coins.Only looking at the effects of inflation and not the causes.
(snipped only for bandwidth, it's worth reading)
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
What you said.

The reporter /could/ do exactly as you say, but he would not be able to get into print. No way in the world would the editor, at /News/Week/ no less, would permit such an article to reach print. The reporter might even end up blacklisted, and kicked out of the industry.

I doubt if even Fox would print such a thing.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Mr. Coppins welcome to Realcent! I'm sure you will have lots of opportunity to talk to people. If you have any questions just ask. As a reference you might want scroll down on the following page: http://www.coinflation.com/coin_calculators.html and look at the base metal values

You might find it interesting to compare both the 95% copper penny i.e. before 1982 and the nickel.
Copper Catcher

Next

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins