Received a most excellent box today

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Received a most excellent box today

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 pm

One of my CU ladies called me and told me she could only get 1 box today and the rest of them next week, no problem. I just got done searching the box. Check this out...

- 40 Buffalo nickels. 70% of them have readable dates, a few are EF condition. 40 of them... in one box!
- 14 V nickels. All readable dates. G to F condition. I never found more than a few in all the boxes I've ever searched, now I hit the mother lode in just one box with all those Buffaloes in there too? - Wow.
-1 1938. Very nice, prob AU-50.
- 1 war nickel 1944P
- 1 2009D

Hard for me to believe I could find all these in just one box. I'm very happy, but totally dumbfounded. I have to check for the rarer dates now. I'll post them if I find any.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Received a most excellent box today

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Clearly Thogey's widow in action - again.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm

68Camaro wrote:Clearly Thogey's widow in action - again.

Thogey died?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:30 pm

OH geez no he did not...it was a saying from years back about a "widow" turning in her dead husbands coin collection to the bank. Youi have just forgotten about it.

that was a dang fine box of nics you got!
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby cwgii » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:25 pm

With my big score last week. It makes you wonder if it has to be the economy. And folks trying to clean out a few coins in an attempt to help “”the coin shortages ”

Anyway super score.
cwgii

Postby Morsecode » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:47 pm

68Camaro wrote:Clearly Thogey's widow in action - again.

She does get around, doesn't she? :mrgreen:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:55 pm

cwgii wrote:With my big score last week. It makes you wonder if it has to be the economy. And folks trying to clean out a few coins in an attempt to help “”the coin shortages ”

Anyway super score.

I think we saw a bumper crop of coin dumps in 2008 after the GFC occurred. I was finding some real humdinger boxes back then. Relatedly, I can not imagine what silver was circulating still in the 1990's when spot was ~$4. Only the precious metal bugs would have taken notice.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:42 am

Wow!! What a box!!
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:45 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:One of my CU ladies called me and told me she could only get 1 box today and the rest of them next week, no problem. I just got done searching the box. Check this out...

- 40 Buffalo nickels. 70% of them have readable dates, a few are EF condition. 40 of them... in one box!
- 14 V nickels. All readable dates. G to F condition. I never found more than a few in all the boxes I've ever searched, now I hit the mother lode in just one box with all those Buffaloes in there too? - Wow.
- 1 war nickel 1944P
- 1 2009D

Hard for me to believe I could find all these in just one box. I'm very happy, but totally dumbfounded. I have to check for the rarer dates now. I'll post them if I find any.

Holy [shucks]! What a great box! I have pulled only FOUR V nickels in 11 years - you hit 14 in one day!!!! I imagine you found good amounts of pre 1960 that obviously got overshadowed by the better stuff. Those are the kind of boxes that make you want to open stuff ALL THE TIME!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:11 pm

That's Pure Awesomeness!!! :clap:
I'm green with envy! :mrgreen: :P

I did a $100. box last night & though I lucked out with finding 2 war nics, the rest of the box was very light on finds. There were only 4 others in the 40's & 5 in the 50's.
The boxes around here seem to be giving up less & less goodies.

Keep going back to that bank as often as you can! :thumbup:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:40 pm

Silver4face wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:One of my CU ladies called me and told me she could only get 1 box today and the rest of them next week, no problem. I just got done searching the box. Check this out...

- 1 war nickel 1944P
- 1 2009D

Holy [shucks]! What a great box! I have pulled only FOUR V nickels in 11 years - you hit 14 in one day!!!! I imagine you found good amounts of pre 1960 that obviously got overshadowed by the better stuff. Those are the kind of boxes that make you want to open stuff ALL THE TIME!

Absolutely! Only about 12 pre-1960.

I took a pic of the V's and the better Buffalo's. Sorry about the flash, but it's dark here right now.
Attachments
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG (492.16 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby willy13 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:41 pm

Wow, absolutly amazing box!
willy13
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:15 pm

Nice find!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:15 am

I opened 2 more boxes yesterday. 6 buffaloes and 42 pre-1960s. No V's or war nickels though.

3 more boxes coming next week.

I hope you guys are getting as many boxes as you can. IMO, these aren't going to be available for much longer.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:43 pm

Excellent point, but you guys should also be getting Penny rolls/boxes as well because BOTH copper and zinc are worth more than face. Also, one advantage for pennies is that they require less capital than nickels. But again, its good to have both.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:47 am

Silver4face wrote:Excellent point, but you guys should also be getting Penny rolls/boxes as well because BOTH copper and zinc are worth more than face. Also, one advantage for pennies is that they require less capital than nickels. But again, its good to have both.

I've kept all my zincs since 2020. Yes, less capital required per box ($25 vs $100), but the cost to acquire all boxes are the same price; Pennies are $7, and nickels are $7. Makes more cents to stick with nickels, I get much more bang for my buck.

The dwindling amount of coppers is why some of us stopped doing pennies. Got some a few weeks ago and the average Cu amount was only about 5-10%, there were also a few skunk boxes. These days, are 100% zinc boxes still considered "skunk" boxes? :|
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:34 am

WOW!!! What a box!!! Congrats!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:17 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Silver4face wrote:Excellent point, but you guys should also be getting Penny rolls/boxes as well because BOTH copper and zinc are worth more than face. Also, one advantage for pennies is that they require less capital than nickels. But again, its good to have both.

I've kept all my zincs since 2020. Yes, less capital required per box ($25 vs $100), but the cost to acquire all boxes are the same price; Pennies are $7, and nickels are $7. Makes more cents to stick with nickels, I get much more bang for my buck.

The dwindling amount of coppers is why some of us stopped doing pennies. Got some a few weeks ago and the average Cu amount was only about 5-10%, there were also a few skunk boxes. These days, are 100% zinc boxes still considered "skunk" boxes? :|

If you are spending the time to sort the 50 rolls, then they ARE skunk boxes. However, if you stash them away as a future investment, then it would not really be considered a skunk box because you didn't spend any time getting skunked.
On a similar note, I bought 9 rolls of nickels a month ago but I didn't open them because I could tell they were pure 2021. I stashed them away. I will not get skunked by them because I will NEVER sort them!!!!! But maybe I can sell/melt them someday (soon?)
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:24 am

Silver4face wrote:If you are spending the time to sort the 50 rolls, then they ARE skunk boxes. However, if you stash them away as a future investment, then it would not really be considered a skunk box because you didn't spend any time getting skunked.
On a similar note, I bought 9 rolls of nickels a month ago but I didn't open them because I could tell they were pure 2021. I stashed them away. I will not get skunked by them because I will NEVER sort them!!!!! But maybe I can sell/melt them someday (soon?)

What I meant is zincs are now at/over the face value so ppl may not consider them skunk boxes anymore. BTW, I do the same thing... if the rolls have brand new zinc enders, I usually do not open it. I have many unopened boxes because I can see the rolls through the holes in the top (Loomis?) of the box that they're all new zinc rolls. I also have zinc boxes from 2009-2015 that I never opened.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:49 pm

An unopened box of 2009 cents might be pretty valuable!
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins