Where are the 2009 nickels?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Where are the 2009 nickels?

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:35 pm

I've searched at least 25 boxes since I stepped up my nickel hoarding last year. I find at least one war nickel per every $100-300 boxes I search. However, I've only found one 2009 nickel since then... only one. I find this very odd. Is the mint storing millions of these in a secret vault somewhere?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Where are the 2009 nickels?

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:54 pm

2009 mintage was crazy low (comparatively). Only 1/10th of the number of war nickels minted.

Still though, that's wild that you've only found 1 in that many boxes. :shock:
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:39 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I've searched at least 25 boxes since I stepped up my nickel hoarding last year. I find at least one war nickel per every $100-300 boxes I search. However, I've only found one 2009 nickel since then... only one. I find this very odd. Is the mint storing millions of these in a secret vault somewhere?

Sorry, guys, all y'all should have been born and raised in Texas, or at least got here as quick as you could. I know I'm always thankin' my lucky stars that I live here. The answer to your inability to find 2009 nickels is all explained in the thread at the link below. I guess you can call me The Mint's Auxiliary Secret Vault.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44253&p=335207#p335207
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:54 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I've searched at least 25 boxes since I stepped up my nickel hoarding last year. I find at least one war nickel per every $100-300 boxes I search. However, I've only found one 2009 nickel since then... only one. I find this very odd. Is the mint storing millions of these in a secret vault somewhere?

Sorry, guys, all y'all should have been born and raised in Texas, or at least got here as quick as you could. I know I'm always thankin' my lucky stars that I live here. The answer to your inability to find 2009 nickels is all explained in the thread at the link below. I guess you can call me The Mint's Auxiliary Secret Vault.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=44253&p=335207#p335207

750 2009s? :o No wonder I can't find any! :cry:
Attachments
Sum Bitch.jpg
Sum Bitch.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:02 pm

Hahaha

What’s your next question, son?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:21 pm

2009 was a very low mintage year, at least compared to most other years, and the majority of the nickels went to Puerto Rico.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:07 am

highroller4321 wrote:

2009 was a very low mintage year, at least compared to most other years, and the majority of the nickels went to Puerto Rico.

I knew the mintage was low that year, but there will still about 40 million each of the P and D made. I just find it odd that old war nickels would be more plentiful than 2009s.

Why was the production so low in 2009? ... did it have something to do with the financial/subprime crisis? Why did the nickels go to Puerto Rico?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:31 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Hahaha

Searched 5 more boxes today. Finally found 2 of them. Playing catch-up. Only 748 to go! :lol:
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:56 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Searched 5 more boxes today. Finally found 2 of them. Playing catch-up. Only 748 to go! :lol:

Mint marks?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:35 am

shinnosuke wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Mint marks?

D and P. I also found 7 war nickels in those 5 boxes, my best find for war nickels thus far. :thumbup:

Got 5 more boxes sitting here. Even though I cannot wait to dig into those boxes, I have to take a break, the neck and eye strain is brutal.

I have 5 more boxes on order for next week. Gotta get em while I can.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:34 am

Yeah, I’m feeling a bit of seller’s remorse for letting go of my 29+ boxes two years ago. Of course I kept the 2009’s and war nickels and everything pre-1964. Shoulda kept them all. On the other hand, I used some of the funds to buy my favorite metal, Hi Ho Silver!
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:27 pm

I know where some of the 2009's are... :roll: :wave:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:00 pm

Morsecode wrote:I know where some of the 2009's are... :roll: :wave:

Ha! Don't spend them all in the same place.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:05 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Yeah, I’m feeling a bit of seller’s remorse for letting go of my 29+ boxes two years ago. Of course I kept the 2009’s and war nickels and everything pre-1964. Shoulda kept them all. On the other hand, I used some of the funds to buy my favorite metal, Hi Ho Silver!

29+ boxes :clap: You said there were no nickels newer than 2011. How long did it take you to procure all those boxes? Did you do it over time or all at once? What made you wait so long to open them?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:03 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Yeah, I’m feeling a bit of seller’s remorse for letting go of my 29+ boxes two years ago. Of course I kept the 2009’s and war nickels and everything pre-1964. Shoulda kept them all. On the other hand, I used some of the funds to buy my favorite metal, Hi Ho Silver!

29+ boxes :clap: You said there were no nickels newer than 2011. How long did it take you to procure all those boxes? Did you do it over time or all at once? What made you wait so long to open them?

I acquired all the boxes in late 2011 and early 2012…if memory serves. After that I bought rolls, but only a handful at a time. So yeah, some that I sorted after the 29 boxes were newer. I was purchasing one box or two boxes a week. At some point I decided I had enough. Not sure why I didn’t just round out my stack at 30 boxes, but it might have been the tender look of admiration from Mrs. shinnosuke every time I walked in the house with another 20 pounds in my hand.

I waited a long time to sort because I never intended to dump them. Then along came Covid and I was at home looking for things to do while pretending to work. After sorting, I didn’t relish the thought of repacking all those nicks. I had always figured the economy would crash and I would call my kids over and give them rolls for groceries after we sorted out the war nicks, etc. (after the nicks, then silver dimes, and so on) I never imagined that I was holding valuable 2009 nicks all that time.

In retrospect, I’m glad I sorted but wished I had kept them all.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:17 pm

Several other things that contributed to the low mintage for 2009:

1) Many coins destined for Puerto Rico are likely on the ocean floor after the hurricanes that hit PR with a vengeance around that time.

2) Lehman Bros. threatened on 9/15/08 to declare bankruptcy if they didn't get a govt. bankruptcy, they would have likely declared bankruptcy.

3) Merrill Lynch was also in financial difficulty and, also on 9/15/08 was essentially forced by the federal government to accept a bailout from Bank of America.

This was widely seen by many as the first time housing prices went down. They weren't old enough to remember the collapse of 1929 which essentially lasted til WW II.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins