Elon Musk: Bring Me More Nickel

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Elon Musk: Bring Me More Nickel

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:08 am

https://www.kitco.com/news/2020-07-23/E ... ickel.html

And the text of the article for when the link goes inactive (emphasis mine)...

Thursday July 23, 2020 17:40 (per Kitco News)

Electric vehicle visionary, Elon Musk, said he is asking mining companies to produce more nickel.

Musk made the comments during his second quarter earning call earlier this week.

Musk said miners will be offered a giant contract from Tesla if they mine nickel efficiently and in an "environmental way,"
according to note published by Tesmanian.

The CEO of Tesla will need more raw materials. Musk also announced during the call that his company’s next gigafactory will be built in Austin, Texas. Gigafactories manufacture batteries and cars. Tesla currently has Gigafactories in the U.S., Europe and China.

Earlier this year Tesla signed a contract with Glencore for cobalt. The company has been reportedly trying to limit dependence on the material to reduce cost and avoid reliance on a material that has links to worker exploitation and environmental degradation.

Cobalt's chemistry generally provide lithium-ion batteries with greater stability.

Green Car Reports that Tesla is moving to an alternate battery chemistry: energy-dense nickel-cobalt-aluminum for its Semi production.

“The nickel-based cells have higher energy density, so longer range; those are needed for something like a Semi, where every unit of mass that you add in you have to subtract in cargo,” said Musk during the earnings call.

End of article...

For those who can get any .999 Canadian nickel at a reasonable price, what are you waiting for? Nope- not selling now.

P.S. I am not an expert on all things nickel or a scientist, but my understanding is that the kind of nickel Musk needs for his battery operations is high purity nickel. High purity nickel typically comes from colder climates like Canada and Russia. The lower purity stuff (also called nickel pig iron) comes from warmer weather locations such as Indonesia and the Philippines. It is often used in the production of stainless steel. Stainless steel represents roughly 2/3 of the demand for nickel worldwide.

P.P.S. Kitco only shows one price for nickel on kitcometals.com. I would imagine there will be a day (fairly soon perhaps) where the two classes of nickel will have separate prices. How much difference in price between the two? Hard to tell. I do think it is reasonable to expect that Canadian .999 nickels will almost blindly be accepted as the better of the two types as most buyers will likely assume that production was from the Sudbury basin (Ontario) area and is therefore the high purity type.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Elon Musk: Bring Me More Nickel

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:05 am

Based on this demand, and the fact that so many car companies are going electric in the next 10 years, would Nickels be more prone to melting before copper cents?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:55 pm

thecrazyone wrote:Based on this demand, and the fact that so many car companies are going electric in the next 10 years, would Nickels be more prone to melting before copper cents?

No. Nickel melts at 2651 degrees, while copper melts much sooner at 1984 degrees. :D :D

Joking aside, you may be right. Wouldn't it be ironic if that happened? Especially to the folks of Realcent...
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:43 pm

I could totally see it happening, if the industry is looking to fast tracking mining and resources.
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:17 am

Hoard all the copper pennies and nickels while you still can... not much time left... hurry.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Looks like he found some, in New Caledonia:

https://electrek.co/2021/10/13/tesla-se ... roduction/
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:14 pm

Maybe they dont figure the material needed to build these cars and the electricity needed to recharge, but it doesnt seem to me that they are "zero" emission vehicles.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thecrazyone » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am

I've been saving every nickel I now get in change. None leave my hand anymore!
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:47 am

I’m occasionally pulling out .999 Ni from Canadian rolls but the percentages are low. 10 years ago you could get a decent haul from separating the Ni out but no longer.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:27 pm

Last month, I found exactly 1 .999 CA nickel out of 12,000 US searched.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Deal signed with Talon metal company in MN:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-01-10/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -agreement

How long until they want nickel out of our currency??
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am

Morsecode wrote:Last month, I found exactly 1 .999 CA nickel out of 12,000 US searched.

Since I stepped up my US nickel hoarding late last year, I've gone through 15 boxes and found: 4 war nickels, 6 pre-1982 CA nickels and about 20 post-1982 CA nickels.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:56 pm

Over $10/lb for the first time in nearly a decade.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 pm

Corsair wrote:Over $10/lb for the first time in nearly a decade.

:clap: 8-) :thumbup:

Just ordered several more boxes from my CU. My girl there takes good care of me. Those boxes of chocolates really pay off. ;)
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:19 pm

Just curious- have you found anything good in those boxes that you ordered on January 12th? Or, are you simply hoarding them as unsearched?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:33 am

Silver4face wrote:Just curious- have you found anything good in those boxes that you ordered on January 12th? Or, are you simply hoarding them as unsearched?

All nickels are good ;) Keeping them in the boxes wouldn't be any fun, so I break them all open. I set aside all the pre-1960s and any that are MS. For every $300-400 searched I find at least 1 war nickel, a few buffaloes (only about half have readable dates), some CA nickels (most are post-1981). I've slowed down a bit and only doing 2-4 boxes a month now. Currently have five 5gal buckets full to the brim. Fun stuff!
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pm

I am now keeping nickels 1963 and back. I would keep more, but penny hoarding takes priority.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 am

Found this article interesting, apologies if it's a dupe post:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/08/nickel- ... plans.html
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:00 pm

Silver4face wrote:I am now keeping nickels 1963 and back. I would keep more, but penny hoarding takes priority.

UPDATE: I am no longer keeping 1960-1963 nickels (except for AU/BU). I will soon be cashing in about a 70-80 dollar face of nickels from 1960-1963. The melt value of American nickels is too low to play this game. However, I am still keeping pre 1960. I can always change my strategies if crazy/profitable things happen.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins