Axis Powers made pure nickel coins preparing for WWII

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Axis Powers made pure nickel coins preparing for WWII

Postby coppernickel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:31 pm

This lengthy article details how the Axis Powers made pure nickel coins as war preparation starting in 1933.

Coins for the conflict: nickel and the Axis, 1933-1945
John Perkins
Sept. 22, 1992
The Historian (Vol. 55, Issue 1.)
Publisher: Phi Alpha Theta, History Honor Society, Inc.

Abstract: The development of applications for nickel to strengthen warship armor, artillery barrels and shell casings caused the stockpiling of nickel by many governments in the years prior to World War II, particularly Japan and Germany. In order to avoid the repercussions of appearing to import nickel for military purposes, both Japan and Germany issued pure nickel coinage in order to assure a ready supply. These coins were circulated until the war began and then recalled in exchange for aluminum or brass coins.

Reference: Perkins, J. (1992). Coins for conflict: Nickel and the axis, 1933–1945. The Historian, 55(1), 85-100. doi:10.1111/j.1540-6563.1992.tb00887.x
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Axis Powers made pure nickel coins preparing for WWII

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:15 pm

It would be interesting to see how this would play out for a potential WWIII, since we use so many drones and robots.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppernickel » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:52 pm

I wanted to add these to the repository of base metals knowledge. It struck me how an item so mundane as nickel was such a vital war material, and how easily the Axis Powers hid it in the everyday change of the population. It also shows how effective the governments were are getting it back when they wanted it.

Recyclersteve wrote:It seems to be a pretty strong endorsement for .999 nickel coins.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:32 pm

Heck ya,,,hide it in plain sight...I for one am not interested in WWIII...however IIRC there was a thread on the old RC about using brics of nics to fortify the windows to bullet proof them.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins