Does Anyone Remember Ponce?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Does Anyone Remember Ponce?

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Does anyone here remember former member Ponce? I wasn’t a member yet when he was active and my understanding is that it was under the old Realcent.forumco site. I did read several remarks about his colorful comments recently. One person said something about Ponce allegedly going to a bank in a monster truck and getting an incredible 50 boxes of nickels!

My question for moderators and anyone else: Can anyone get a link to the database of comments made by Ponce on the old site and make it available for all to see? Even if you can’t, if you could PM me instructions on how to do so, that would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Does Anyone Remember Ponce?

Postby hobo finds » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:04 pm

hobo finds

Postby aloneibreak » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:20 pm

he also had something like 5000 rolls of TP

quite a character for sure
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 am

Ponce is/was crazy.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:10 pm

hobo finds wrote:https://realcent.forumco.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12509&SearchTerms=,Ponce

Interesting read. I'd love to know what he's up to now. Said he was 70 in February 2010. I hope he's still around.
MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Hobo:

Thanks a lot for digging this out for the rest of us!! It is very interesting reading the things he says. It would've been interesting to sit down and tip a cold one with him- that's for sure.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Thogey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:46 am

NotABigDeal wrote:Ponce is/was crazy.

Deal

You can't judge a man by what he posts on the web. But this is true. Ponce is /was an anarchist. I for one was not a fan of the 'ponce' persona.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby fasteddy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:04 pm

I was gonna say message Thogey but I see^^^^Thogey has already weighed in here. lol. Ponce was different. So was Ponce really crazy cuz he wanted to live off grid....or cuz he liked his nickels...even getting 50 nic bricks at once....what about the dude in Dallas that ordered $1,000,000 in nicks? Wonder if he is crazy?

I did an uber earlier this year and the driver was from Cuba....we are lucky to be Americans and don/t have to live under a regime.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm

"Ponce" was different but aren't we all. I stocked up on toilet paper many times with no regrets. Had 1600 rolls for Y2K. Good as currency. Used them all and stocked up again a few years ago but not so much. $5.00 for 24 pack from Big K mart. K mart is gone, not the toilet paper although I don't have a household full of users anymore.
I remember Ardent listener was a big nickel brick collector. I can't imagine his heirs enjoyed disposing of them except for the dollar value. The toilet paper was a better return in my book.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:39 am

In todays environment if you can get something on sale or clearance that you can use, it can literally be better than money in the bank. I have never had 1600 rolls of TP bit I regularly have a 6 month to 1 year supply on hand. I buy it when it is on sale. The money I save versus running out and having to pay regular price is more than the interest I would have earned in the bank on the money that I have tied up.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Changechecker wrote:"Ponce" was different but aren't we all. I stocked up on toilet paper many times with no regrets. Had 1600 rolls for Y2K. Good as currency.

With the proliferation of fast food and microwavable food, 1600 rolls of toilet paper just doesn't go as far as it used to. :)

I imagine that many years ago my ancestors said "Let's just save 2 or 3 corn cobs for each person. Heck, we wash them off in the river and reuse them anyway. So we'll use each one until it breaks." :)

Recyclersteve

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:21 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:In todays environment if you can get something on sale or clearance that you can use, it can literally be better than money in the bank. I have never had 1600 rolls of TP bit I regularly have a 6 month to 1 year supply on hand. I buy it when it is on sale. The money I save versus running out and having to pay regular price is more than the interest I would have earned in the bank on the money that I have tied up.

+1

Recyclersteve

Postby fasteddy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Ponce had something there...5 thousand rolls of toilet paper...wonder if he is cashing in on them now. :lol:
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins