Metal value tipping point?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Metal value tipping point?

Postby PennyPincher » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm curious as to what others here think.

How high would the metal value of an American nickel have to be in order for nickels to be traded for more than 5 cents a piece, perhaps on eBay?

Currently, copper is at $2.91/lb and nickel is at $5.95/lb. The metal value of a nickel is about 80-81% of its face value. I think the historical peak was about 180% of its face value. (I'm also curious about the copper-plated zinc penny.)

Given what I perceive to be the economic and technological trends, I think there's a good case to be made for rising copper prices over the next decade. I also anticipate typical levels of inflation. So is it a good time to be stockpiling boxes of nickels?

This is a related infographic called "The Bull Case for Every Energy Metal Going into 2019":

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/bull-case-every-energy-metal-2019/
Last edited by PennyPincher on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PennyPincher

Re: Metal value tipping point?

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 am

I would try to stockpile Canadian .999 nickels from 1981 and before, but not U.S. nickel. I had a bunch of U.S. nickels (at least $800 face) sitting around for years and got sick of it and took it all to the bank. It is only 25% nickel, so I'll pass on it as an investment.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:06 am

I wouldn't try to keep any US nickels for investment purposes. They are quite common and only 25 percent real nickel anyway. Why try to sell for more than 5 cents on Ebay? Makes no "cents" to me! :P
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 am

There was an argument to be made for US nickels as a modest mechanism of wealth storage at one point when both cu and ni were higher. I think the melt would have to be at least 1.2x face to warrant storing any, and even then that would be of only marginal help (but I wouldn't rule it out in a looming crisis). I had 18 boxes at one point. Sorted them down to pull out war nicks and buffs and a few potentially collectibles and turned the rest in to buy silver. I did keep my pure nickel as well - not a lot of that.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby PennyPincher » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:40 pm

"US nickels as a modest mechanism of wealth storage"

They seem like a good store of wealth given you still have US currency. It's almost as if you're getting a free call option on cupro-nickel alloy. The biggest problem seems to be the potential for inflation to eat away the value, but that's true of a $100 bill as well. Currently, using boxes of nickels as a "modest mechanism of wealth storage" makes a fair amount of sense to me.

The extra bit of motivation is that by stockpiling something like 10 boxes of nickels, one would likely find some silver war nickels (or older coins) in such a batch.
PennyPincher

Postby galenrog » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 am

While I do not store nicks generally, I do put away all war nicks, errors, proofs, and select dates. Buffs and “V”s also. This is primarily for collectors. I currently have a list of over 200 that I email blast a few times a year with inventory.

In my case, I think I have a better and more consistent margin than storage.

Time for more coffee.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:11 pm

It wasn't mentioned here, but some people save the 2009 nickels as well, which are pretty hard to find.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm

I saved every nickel I obtained for years - but then when I moved I dumped them.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:28 am

Even though the posting is old, I wanted to add something to it...

Something else wasn't mentioned in this posting and that is the current value of the coins. Let's take a bank box of $100 in nickels vs. a bank box of $250 in dimes. Assume all the nickels are .999 Canadian nickels and all the dimes are 90% silver (junk silver) U.S. dimes. Further, let's assume all the coins have been gone through and there are no really good collector dates in either box.

The nickel box is currently worth approximately $127.60. 100 of the .999 nickels weighs 1 pound, so a box of 2,000 weighs 20# net.
20 X $6.38/lb. (per Kitcometals.com) is $127.60.

The dime box has 2,500 coins (50 rolls of 50 coins each). $250.00 face in junk silver is currently worth $2,965.00 per coininfo.com. This is with silver being valued at $16.35 per kitco.com.

Even though the dime box is quite a bit smaller than the nickel box, it is worth more than 23 times as much. Stated differently, if you had 23 boxes of nickels hidden somewhere and I had 1 box of dimes, we'd both have about the same amount stashed away. Yet, my stash would take up much less space and would probably be a lot easier to sell.

You could make the same argument about gold taking up much less space than silver, and, for someone truly wealthy, that may be something to consider. But gold is also heavily counterfeited, harder to get change for in barter situations, etc.

All that said, I like both nickel and silver and have invested in both. My gold holdings are very minimal. Oh yeah, there is copper too and I keep a fair amount of it on hand as a decoy in case I was ever robbed. The good stuff is offsite- the copper can stay with me.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:33 am

It has been two and a half years since the last response to this post. Therefore, I am changing that due to recent metal prices. When this post was started, the melt value of an American nickel was 80 percent of face. It is now approximately 130 percent of face. Therefore, I am wondering what people will do if it reaches 150 percent? Especially if it maintains that level!
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:07 pm

The end will come quickly, with the stroke of an Executive Order. The announcement's impact won't last more than a couple news cycles.

Although, inflation is so bad right now (politically as well as economically) Brandon's handlers may shy away from telling Americans to 'just round up to the next ten cents' for a spell. At least until after the mid-terms, when they can blame the GOP majority House and Senate for the ongoing crisis.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 am

Get all the nickels while you still can. Every time you take a box of nickels from the bank, you're actually walking out of there with a $30 profit :thumbup: ;)

IMO, pennies boxes are really not worth getting anymore because the zincs have significantly diluted what coppers are left out there. I've gotten many skunk boxes over the past 6 months, but I still keep them because zinc pennies are now very close (95%) to their face value.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:18 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Get all the nickels while you still can. Every time you take a box of nickels from the bank, you're actually walking out of there with a $30 profit :thumbup: ;)

IMO, pennies boxes are really not worth getting anymore because the zincs have significantly diluted what coppers are left out there. I've gotten many skunk boxes over the past 6 months, but I still keep them because zinc pennies are now very close (95%) to their face value.

I like reading your posts, and I agree with almost everything you say, BUT I have to disagree with you on the PENNIES BOXES. I am still finding a decent amount of copper, and I have a buyer for it. Also, I pulled over 2000 wheats last year and over 300 this month. I am also finding dimes (9 cent profit) and MS pennies that I can sell and or hoard.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm

I like looking through Lincolns as much as the next guy, but it is hard to argue against the automatic (albeit unrealized) 30% gain with the built-in even money stop loss.

Was by the bank this noon and cancelled my penny box for next week and switched to Jeffs. :mrgreen:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:22 pm

Silver4face wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Get all the nickels while you still can. Every time you take a box of nickels from the bank, you're actually walking out of there with a $30 profit :thumbup: ;)

I like reading your posts, and I agree with almost everything you say, BUT I have to disagree with you on the PENNIES BOXES. I am still finding a decent amount of copper, and I have a buyer for it. Also, I pulled over 2000 wheats last year and over 300 this month. I am also finding dimes (9 cent profit) and MS pennies that I can sell and or hoard.

Good for you. I've been getting more and more skunk boxes. When I do get some coppers, it's only about 5-10% per box. My 5gal zinc buckets are overflowing :x

BTW, how many boxes are you searching per month?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:13 am

I would estimate 6 to 8 boxes a month. This is the time of year where I put the most effort into it. Also, I am a hand sorter.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thecrazyone » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:06 am

Wow, I did not know that US nickels were only 25% nickel. Glad I don't have a truckload of them!

As for their value, though, you guys don't still find value in them, considering that metal is used for EV car batteries?

Also, where do you order your Canadian nickels? I'm guessing a US bank won't/can't get them?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:51 am

Silver4face wrote:It has been two and a half years since the last response to this post. Therefore, I am changing that due to recent metal prices. When this post was started, the melt value of an American nickel was 80 percent of face. It is now approximately 130 percent of face. Therefore, I am wondering what people will do if it reaches 150 percent? Especially if it maintains that level!

We won’t do anything. As long as you can buy nickels at the bank at face value there isn’t much else to do. In 2012 US nickels we’re worth $0.09, and still we weren’t doing much with it. What can we do?
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:43 pm

frugi wrote:
Silver4face wrote:It has been two and a half years since the last response to this post. Therefore, I am changing that due to recent metal prices. When this post was started, the melt value of an American nickel was 80 percent of face. It is now approximately 130 percent of face. Therefore, I am wondering what people will do if it reaches 150 percent? Especially if it maintains that level!

We won’t do anything. As long as you can buy nickels at the bank at face value there isn’t much else to do. In 2012 US nickels we’re worth $0.09, and still we weren’t doing much with it. What can we do?

Even though we disagree on the year, you do raise a good point as US nickels did have a 9 cent melt value and people did nothing about it. For example, the govt did not vacuum them up for melting, exporting etc. The mint kept producing them and people did not hoard them. However, as you know, times are different now and a few members are starting to stash them away. But perhaps I should have said a higher number than 150 percent. The point I'm trying to make is that EVERYBODY associated with melt value does have a tipping point.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:56 am

We've been through this before. Nickels are not a bad thing to be in given the current state of prices. Many of us stored boxes of nickels for a time, years ago. When prices dropped, including silver, it made better sense to many of us to sell the nickel back to the bank (ideally, after searching for key dates) and using the proceeds to buy silver (on which I've doubled my money). Don't be rigid on your holdings (except don't be afraid to hold silver and gold).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 am

Lots of flippers on Realcent. People want to flip these coins to make some money over short term, good for them.

I'm hoarding copper and nickel for the l-o-n-g term. I treat it like PMs. Eventually Gresham's law wins.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:54 pm

thecrazyone wrote:Also, where do you order your Canadian nickels? I'm guessing a US bank won't/can't get them?

Sorry for the delayed response, but I get most of my .999 Canadian nickels from the foreign coin boxes at coin dealers. I don’t look at anything in a 2”x2” holder- the price will be too high.

I can’t imagine a U.S. bank being able to get Canadian nickels. Some can get currency, but coins would likely be out of the question.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:21 pm

I can't resist! I have to reopen this thread because the melt value is now up to 6.8 cents per. In other terms, a $100 BOX has a melt value of 136 dollars. Copper (3.83) and nickel (13.19) are the highest they've been since early to mid spring which was more than six months ago.
It won't be easy to reach or beat the 8 cent level from March, at least not in the near future, but I am thinking that they can maintain a 6.5 to 7 level for some time. Also, what if there really is a copper shortage a few years from now? Keep in mind that the u.s. nickel is 75 percent copper.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:15 am

Silver4face wrote:I can't resist! I have to reopen this thread because the melt value is now up to 6.8 cents per. In other terms, a $100 BOX has a melt value of 136 dollars. Copper (3.83) and nickel (13.19) are the highest they've been since early to mid spring which was more than six months ago.
It won't be easy to reach or beat the 8 cent level from March, at least not in the near future, but I am thinking that they can maintain a 6.5 to 7 level for some time. Also, what if there really is a copper shortage a few years from now? Keep in mind that the u.s. nickel is 75 percent copper.

Nickels may be the better coin to get over the Lincoln cent.

You don't have to sort a $100 box of nickels really to separate non-Cu coins. Lincoln cents have the better bang for the buck though ( 2.5 x face value vs. 1.36 x face value for nickels). Box of nickels weighs 22 pounds. Box of pennies weigh 15 pounds give or take. Collect both is the answer I guess.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:51 pm

i dont sort the boxes of cents anymore anyway. i highly value zinc. very few metals that are so readily available can be smelted at home without much effort. i have piles of zinc, pewter, and lead.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins