Nickel Over $6/Lb. for First Time in ~2 1/2 Yrs.

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Nickel Over $6/Lb. for First Time in ~2 1/2 Yrs.

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Nickel is over $6 a pound for the first time since mid-2015. The neat thing about it is that the all-time high (over 10 years ago) was $22-23/lb. So it could double and still be nowhere near the all-time high.

I calculated recently that a Tesla Model S used over 350 lbs. of nickel with the battery packs. I imagine there are lots of nickel hoarders who don't even have that much nickel in their hoards.

Elon Musk of Tesla has said that rather than say the cars use lithium ion batteries, they should instead use the term nickel graphite.
The battery production is such that it requires high purity nickel and about half the world's nickel won't suffice. Nickel from places like the Philippines and Indonesia doesn't meet the purity requirements. I would imagine that .999 Canadian nickels should be just fine to melt down for those of us in the U.S. I don't know, however, what minimum quantities that refiners have when melting nickel.

This nickel price action along with the strong increase in demand for car batteries could be a bullish development for nickel that lasts for years. Cue the music- "O Canada..."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Nickel Over $6/Lb. for First Time in ~2 1/2 Yrs.

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: Cue the music- "O Canada..."

We have a new unit of measure TNTU (Tesla Nickel Trade Unit).

O Canada....Terre de nos aïeux... (French version)
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:45 am

Actually Nickel achieved a bit over $27.00/lb in the summer of 2007.

Nickel reached an all time high of $54,050.00/ton in May of 2007 and a record low of $3730.50 in December of 1998.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Been saving/buying Canadian pre-1981 nickels for the last 25 years. I must have 400-500 pounds by now.

Someday, I'm gonna be rich... I tell ya!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:47 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Been saving/buying Canadian pre-1981 nickels for the last 25 years. I must have 400-500 pounds by now.

Good for you. I didn't finally get smart until around 2013 or so. I was once hoarding U.S. nickels, which have been culled for good dates (war nicks and pre 1960). The rest sat around for a few years, but have been returned to the banks. When I found out about the Canadian .999 nickels, that was really eye-opening to me. I love those things.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Been saving/buying Canadian pre-1981 nickels for the last 25 years. I must have 400-500 pounds by now.

Good for you. I didn't finally get smart until around 2013 or so. I was once hoarding U.S. nickels, which have been culled for good dates (war nicks and pre 1960). The rest sat around for a few years, but have been returned to the banks. When I found out about the Canadian .999 nickels, that was really eye-opening to me. I love those things.

My LCS owner gives me most of the Canadian nickels from his junk boxes whenever I buy a 1oz of gold from him (and I do it quite frequently).

My Uncle took me on a trip to Montreal in 1973. He knew my love for coins, so he took me to the Canadian National bank building in downtown Montreal and he got a roll of Nickels for me. I still have the roll and I never opened it! :thumbup:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby biglouddrunk » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:18 am

Where I work we use 10,000 lbs of nickel per week. Maybe someday our anode baskets will be full of Canadian nickels. Lol
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am

biglouddrunk wrote:10,000 lbs of nickel per week...

WOW!
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 pm

biglouddrunk wrote:Where I work we use 10,000 lbs of nickel per week. Maybe someday our anode baskets will be full of Canadian nickels. Lol

What type of business uses that much nickel? Is it auto-related or a steel business by any chance? Also, do you know what country your nickel comes from? If you are in the U.S., I'm guessing your nickel would likely come from the Sudbury Basin part of Canada.

Recyclersteve

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins