Saving US Nickels?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Re: Saving US Nickels?

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:00 pm

I don't hoard US nickels, bur I do keep all my Canadian .999 nickels,
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm

I have a small stash of them. Probably a half gallon jug at this point. I wonder if they will ever be worth more than face value?

I've read on some websites that speculate that a nickel could be worth 2, 3 or 5 times face value in the future. Gresham's Law and
what not if the nickel ever changes composition from 75/25 Copper Nickel alloy. Do you think nickels would disappear into people's
hoards like silver coinage pre-65 did? I'm not sure about
that, but I will keep collecting them anyways. It's fun to find a War nickel from time to time.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 pm

JadeDragon wrote:I don't hoard US nickels, bur I do keep all my Canadian .999 nickels,

I have some of those as well.... :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 am

SilverDragon72 wrote: It's fun to find a War nickel from time to time.

I was just thinking about something and that is this. I'd be excited to find something like a War nickel or Indian penny. Then I'd show it to my wife (or it could be someone at work). Inevitably, their response is "What is it worth?" My answer: "Maybe a buck or so, but they are really hard to find." I can just see the other person mentally calculating how much time I spent getting the coins, going through them and returning them. Thogey might have something to say about this, but perhaps that is why so many widows drop off their late husbands coins at the bank.

From a pure dollars and cents aspect, there are parts of this hobby that are hard to justify.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John Reich » Sun May 21, 2017 7:59 am

I'm posting to get some activity going in the Nickel forum. There's about the same level of interest in nickel today as there was in silver in 1997! I'm still not rebuilding my stash of US nickels, but still save any Canadian .999's I come across. It's amazing to me that the lowly Zincoln has a higher melt value that a US nickel. The contrarian in me tells me that with prices/interest so low, it may just be time to start rebuilding the stash...
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 am

spoken with the true contrarian's attitude, John. I couldn't agree more. And validated, on this day 5/21/17 five zincs are of higher melt value than a single nickel. Whooda thought? :shock:
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun May 21, 2017 11:32 am

johnbrickner wrote:spoken with the true contrarian's attitude, John. I couldn't agree more. And validated, on this day 5/21/17 five zincs are of higher melt value than a single nickel. Whooda thought? :shock:

The two melt values are pretty close to each other but the melt value of five copper cents is far better. I'll stick with the copper for now while I can still get it at face value.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu May 25, 2017 9:04 pm

zinc cents have at onetime have been worth melt than face value.
hobo finds

Postby coppernickel » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:15 pm

Just closed a box of nickels. Spent a while converting everything to ounces and pounds on from data on coinflation.com then converted to kilos.

$100 in nickels is 10 kg total, 7.500 kg copper and 2.500 kg nickel.

After all the math it was another moment of, why did it take so long to see, that! :oops:
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:55 pm

Yep 5000 nickels x 5 g = 25,000 g = 2.5 kg. The sizes of all the non clad U.S. coins were picked on purpose. Those old timers weren't so stupid after all.

Even the brass cent weight had meaning: a tenth troy ounce.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins