Why do Canadian nickels get little attention in the U.S.?

Discussions pertaining to the investing in, collecting and saving of U.S. CuNi Nickels and Canadian Ni and CuNi Nickels, and other coins containing nickel. Put in your "5 cents" here.

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm just curious- why do you think that Canadian nickels get so little attention in the U.S.? Do people just not realize that the pre '82 nickels with some exceptions are worth more than face value? I've found five dealers who sell the Canadian nickels for between four and five U.S. Cents each. These were found in three different states, only one of which is a border state. These should easily be available for those of you who live in places like Michigan and New England. I like that the Canadian nickels are often 99 percent nickel as opposed to 25 percent for U.S. Nickels. The benefit here is that you can store more wealth in a much smaller space. I guess you could say that nickel being potentially toxic is a disadvantage.

This reminds me a bit like how easy it was to find silver half dollars for face value at banks 5-7 years ago.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Why do Canadian nickels get little attention in the U.S.

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:17 pm

There was a guy named madeuce who went up to Canada years ago from the US and our forum and set up a large scale nickel operation and singlehandedly impacted the nickel percentages to extremely low numbers. He had a warehouse and several Brinks truck deliveries each week. He hired one guy, had a fork lift and had several large scale commercial sorters. He crated the nickel nickels up and shipped them to a company that needed nickel. He stopped operations when the price of nickel dropped and the percentages became too low for profitability. I still have some of the pictures from when he posted years ago.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:48 am

Because I live so far south I can't find any.... I would love to have more. just not going to pay collector retail for 5 cent face value.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Tourney64 wrote:There was a guy named madeuce who went up to Canada years ago from the US and our forum and set up a large scale nickel operation and singlehandedly impacted the nickel percentages to extremely low numbers. He had a warehouse and several Brinks truck deliveries each week. He hired one guy, had a fork lift and had several large scale commercial sorters. He crated the nickel nickels up and shipped them to a company that needed nickel. He stopped operations when the price of nickel dropped and the percentages became too low for profitability. I still have some of the pictures from when he posted years ago.

Are there any links to his old post's? I would love to see them.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:37 pm

Most folks are still napping,don't see the inflation happining or want to see it.
Plus no knowledge of base metals and coinage.
Maybe just repulsed in general from change with dirty coins. :lol:
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:37 pm

Three words: shipping shipping shipping

So it means that there is not enough .999 nickels, available to the market (read US) so the demand cannot pick-up.

To me, the real question is why there is no interest in Canada for .999 nickels and the answer IMHO is lack of knowledge.

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:54 pm

As of 2006 it was illegal to ship $100 worth of pennies or nickels from the US to Canada.

But lesser known is there is also technically is a legal limit on how much you can ship to the USA as a singular entity $10,000 CAD face or pretty much one exactly one short ton.

Commercially not feasable to ever be on the scale of the Crown, which is removing about 1,200 tons of nickel and 1,200 tons of cupronickel every year and is probably reselling it at markup to make Latvian and Lithuanian 1 and 2 Euros.

There were only 1.8 billion pure 5 cent nickels made in Canada. Trivia: How many copper pennies did the US make in 1944?
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:07 pm

If it were only the crown removing at that rate it would take 750 years to pull them all. Presuming they could continue at that rate.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby nero12345 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Most of our nickel that we used to make our nickels came from Cuba and is another reason it could be "technically" illegal to ship to the US. I love the nickels especially now we lost our pennies.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Recyclersteve wrote: I've found five dealers who sell the Canadian nickels for between four and five U.S. Cents each. These were found in Washington state, California, and even Arizona. These should easily be available for those of you who live in places like Michigan and New England.

I can assure you there are no dealers or coin shops anywhere in New England that I'm aware of that would even think to carry Canada nickels...not at .05 ea, not at .10 ea.

A $100 box of Jeffersons here in CT will generally yield 3 or 4 .999 nickels. They're just not that plentiful.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:24 am

nero12345 wrote:Most of our nickel that we used to make our nickels came from Cuba and is another reason it could be "technically" illegal to ship to the US. I love the nickels especially now we lost our pennies.

I hadn't actually looked up the nickel sources until your post; was surprised to see that Cuba was a supplier, and that Canada was a relatively smallish contributor to both suppliers and reserves. While the Sudbury meteoritic nickel is of high purity it isn't the major source of supply in the world. The tropical sources of supply, though low purity, are dominant.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby ZenOps » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:57 am

1.8 billion five cent pure nickels = 9,000 tons. ARP has been removing more than 1,200 tons per year nickel (five cent, dimes, quarters) since 2003.

If they concentrated solely on five cent nickels, the pure nickel five cent could technically be gone by now.

Amount of silver in circulation coins in the US in 1964? 60,000 tons.

BTW: From my weak observation, they are concentrating on removing and replacing the quarters. It is near impossible to find a pre-1999 quarter, the percentages are even lower than finding a pre-82 nickel.

Also lesser known, all members of the euro were required to turn in their coinage and bills. Cupronickels and a rare few pure nickel coins would have survived that. Although many were made, you would be hard pressed to ever find a french 2 franc or nederlands coin on north american soil.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby Verbane » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:32 am

Mercuryman wrote:
Tourney64 wrote:There was a guy named madeuce who went up to Canada years ago from the US and our forum and set up a large scale nickel operation and singlehandedly impacted the nickel percentages to extremely low numbers. He had a warehouse and several Brinks truck deliveries each week. He hired one guy, had a fork lift and had several large scale commercial sorters. He crated the nickel nickels up and shipped them to a company that needed nickel. He stopped operations when the price of nickel dropped and the percentages became too low for profitability. I still have some of the pictures from when he posted years ago.

Are there any links to his old post's? I would love to see them.

See this link for Madeuce's operation:

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10840&p=113226&hilit=madeuce#p113226
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:49 am

ZenOps wrote:1.8 billion five cent pure nickels = 9,000 tons. ARP has been removing more than 1,200 tons per year nickel (five cent, dimes, quarters) since 2003.

If they concentrated solely on five cent nickels, the pure nickel five cent could technically be gone by now.

BTW: From my weak observation, they are concentrating on removing and replacing the quarters. It is near impossible to find a pre-1999 quarter, the percentages are even lower than finding a pre-82 nickel.

Also lesser known, all members of the euro were required to turn in their coinage and bills. Cupronickels and a rare few pure nickel coins would have survived that. Although many were made, you would be hard pressed to ever find a french 2 franc or nederlands coin on north american soil.

I stand corrected; my mental math was off by a factor of 100.

1,800,000,000 nickels =
18,000,000 pounds =
9,000 tons = 7.5 years at 1200 tons/year

mtalbot is reporting still finding 5-7-ish% .999 nickels - actually not bad and I would be sorting myself if I was in Canada until it got down below ~3%.

Because of no ARP in the US, given the time delay in circulation I'm still finding about half of Cdn quarters and dimes here to be .999, which probably comes from people cleaning out change jars that go back years, though there just aren't that many period in FL relatively speaking. Morsecode gets a lot more in the NE.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:27 am

I do find quite a few French francs (more than a handful) and a few dutch coins.
68Camaro

Postby mtalbot_ca » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:59 pm

68Camaro wrote:
ZenOps wrote:1.8 billion five cent pure nickels = 9,000 tons. ARP has been removing more than 1,200 tons per year nickel (five cent, dimes, quarters) since 2003.

I stand corrected; my mental math was off by a factor of 100.

1,800,000,000 nickels =
18,000,000 pounds =
9,000 tons = 7.5 years at 1200 tons/year

mtalbot is reporting still finding 5-7-ish% .999 nickels - actually not bad and I would be sorting myself if I was in Canada until it got down below ~3%...

From another subject in this sub-forum: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30614 we have estimated that the ARP has removed over 19% of nickels from circulation.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 pm

The Canadian Nickels get their due attention....from ME! :thumbup: I pick them up as often as I'm able to, especially since I can get them at FV. :shh:

Whatever my LCS has that particular day.....I never know what I'll find every time I go in there!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:I'm just curious- why do you think that Canadian nickels get so little attention in the U.S.? Do people just not realize that the pre '82 nickels with some exceptions are worth about 9 cents each? I've found five dealers who sell the Canadian nickels for between four and five U.S. Cents each. These were found in Washington state, California, and even Arizona. These should easily be available for those of you who live in places like Michigan and New England. I like that the Canadian nickels are often 99 percent nickel as opposed to 25 percent for U.S. Nickels. The benefit here is that you can store more wealth in a much smaller space.

I will give runner-up status to French 1/2, 1, and 2 franc coins which can easily be found in many junk foreign boxes.

This reminds me a bit like how easy it was to find silver half dollars 5-7 years ago.

Your thoughts?

I used to collect the Francs when I found them, but often times a dealer will sell foreign stuff for 5/1.00, so I'm not sure it's worth it to get any of those.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:01 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:The Canadian Nickels get their due attention....from ME! :thumbup: I pick them up as often as I'm able to, especially since I can get them at FV. :shh:

Whatever my LCS has that particular day.....I never know what I'll find every time I go in there!

+1
I do the same and have almost 2 tubes of King George 5, a 1926 near 6 and several 1948s all at face value, plus a lot of uncirculated young queens. Recently, I have been getting a lot of older steel nickels, but some are high grades.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:08 am

I found about 8-10 French 2 francs, 175 or so 1 francs, and about 20-30 Dutch guilders just yesterday. Also 3 or so Netherlands Antilles coins. I did have to spend a couple hours of back braking time going through a mostly full 5 gallon painters bucket, but the coins were there.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:02 am

Got over $20 FV at a .8 of face today.

ImageUntitled by henrysmedford, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by henrysmedford, on Flickr
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:

I found about 8-10 French 2 francs, 175 or so 1 francs, and about 20-30 Dutch guilders just yesterday. Also 3 or so Netherlands Antilles coins. I did have to spend a couple hours of back braking time going through a mostly full 5 gallon painters bucket, but the coins were there.

Here we are 5 years later and I am still finding these. They are generally mixed in with other foreign coins, so it is a bit of a pain to go through all of them to find a few good coins.

Recyclersteve

Return to Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins