How important is toning?

Discussion related to coin grading criteria, services, and companies.

How important is toning?

Postby nero12345 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Hey guys and gals,
So when you're grading you coins, and there's obvious toning or discolouration, how much does this affect the grade of the coin, if at all. Suppose a coin is looking EF, so much as the hairlines are crisp and very little wear at all on the high points but there the mint lustre had faded or there's just some age toning, does this coin still grade EF or does it drop it down a grade?
My thoughts are that it doesn't affect the grade. Your thoughts or opinions...
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: How important is toning?

Postby daviscfad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:04 pm

If it's NT or Natural toning, no it doesn't effect it.. AT or Artificial Toning does and usually won't slab, or it will net a details grade.. Sometimes if the toning is heavy it may not grade as high because the tone hides things
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:36 am

I think it depends on the series as well. I've seen Morgan dollars with rainbow toning go for perhaps 2-4 times the untoned prices at major coin shows (both on the floor and in auctions). Yet the exact same toning on a Peace dollar or other series doesn't seem to mean nearly as much.

My comment on the prices was from shows several years ago. Can anyone update this with details from more recent shows?

I agree with the other comment regarding natural vs. artificial toning.

Another aspect of toning is that many years ago toning didn't cause a coin to really carry a premium. So the elevated prices for toned coins have a bit of a faddish feel. I can't prove that- it is just a hunch.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:49 am

Does natural toning affect the grade? No, at least it shouldn't on a strict technical basis. Whether or not it affects the value is in the eye of the beholder!

"... the elevated prices for toned coins have a bit of a faddish feel. I can't prove that- it is just a hunch."

Could be a fad, could also be an evolution in the coin market. I lean towards thinking its here to stay to some extent because people at the high end of the coin market want things that are unique and impressive, versus just good grade coins to fill holes.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:57 pm

I just can't get excited about natural (or artificially-induced toning). So what?

Some collectors have been experimenting with artificial toning on a successful basis.

Personally, I just don't buy coins for my collection that are sold on the basis of "outstanding toning."
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Some might consider artificial toning to be a bit like counterfeiting (or at least in the same family).
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Coin & Currency Grading