Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 pm

very interesting. the rich guy sees value and is paying coinstar to sort and horde for him. no brainer if you can afford to be patient like him.

yes, this could dry up supply but demand should stay constant or increase. good for those of us who already have been doing this for a while.

as for the Mint, they are looking at changing the metals but so far all they got was the Coin Modernization, Oversight,
and Continuity Act of 2010.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 pm

No one reading this can say they weren't warned. Sort now while the sorting is good! Bummer to those folks living in the areas where the super sorters are already turned on though!
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby goodcents » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:52 am

Now what about a Warren Buffet, Gates, or the Facebook guy who has 1 billion to diversify with? Hmmmm....
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 1945v » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:00 am

There is huge carrying costs for someone with a $5,000,000 investment in copper pennies versus a private (small time) hoarder:

1) Transporting $5,000,000 (1600 tons) of copper pennies to your storage facility requires 80 truck loads. I am sure this is not cheap.
2) There is recurring storage costs whether the rich investor pays rent for a facility (i.e. Brinks) to store the coins or pays property tax (and up keep) for his own private warehouse.
3) Given all the copper thefts, $5,000,000 is a tempting target. Therefore, full time guards would need to be posted at the storage facility. More recurring costs.

Storing a large amount of copper pennies only makes sense if someone expects a huge rise in copper prices in the short term. Otherwise, it is a money loser with all the carrying costs involved.
1945v
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:34 am

1945v wrote:There is huge carrying costs for someone with a $5,000,000 investment in copper pennies versus a private (small time) hoarder:

1) Transporting $5,000,000 (1600 tons) of copper pennies to your storage facility requires 80 truck loads. I am sure this is not cheap.
2) There is recurring storage costs whether the rich investor pays rent for a facility (i.e. Brinks) to store the coins or pays property tax (and up keep) for his own private warehouse.
3) Given all the copper thefts, $5,000,000 is a tempting target. Therefore, full time guards would need to be posted at the storage facility. More recurring costs.

Storing a large amount of copper pennies only makes sense if someone expects a huge rise in copper prices in the short term. Otherwise, it is a money loser with all the carrying costs involved.

Very Good points....... and good thought put into it. Did you by chance buy 5M in Copper? :D
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 1945v » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:55 am

TXBullion wrote:
1945v wrote:There is huge carrying costs for someone with a $5,000,000 investment in copper pennies versus a private (small time) hoarder:

Very Good points....... and good thought put into it. Did you by chance buy 5M in Copper? :D

TXB,

If I had $5,000,000, I would rather buy 5 tons of silver or 200 lbs of Gold :lol:
1945v
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:17 pm

1945v wrote:
TXBullion wrote:

TXB,

If I had $5,000,000, I would rather buy 5 tons of silver or 200 lbs of Gold :lol:

I think Id do a split at 65 UScopper/15 Canadian Nickel/15 Silver/ 5 Gold So id probably be closer to 3.25M on the US copper 8-)
TXBullion

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:31 pm

1: Depending on how far the truckloads have to move thats a $320,000 cost

2: If he already owns the building than all he needs is to pay property tax.

3: It takes a LOT off effort to move that much copper. I simple and basic alarm system would suffice.

With 11 Million plus worth of copper and having less than 6 million invested....I think he is sitting very very nice!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:12 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

1: Depending on how far the truckloads have to move thats a $320,000 cost

2: If he already owns the building than all he needs is to pay property tax.

3: It takes a LOT off effort to move that much copper. I simple and basic alarm system would suffice.

With 11 Million plus worth of copper and having less than 6 million invested....I think he is sitting very very nice!

You have to figure what the building capital opportunity cost if you are not factoring in rent. Im sure you know the square footage, but we are talking a building opportunity cost, utilizes, He's not using a pallet jack to move that stuff around and he probably has someone doing it (labor cost). Sure he might have internet access , phones, computers, servers. Not that those are significant costs in relation to the whole deal but recurring carrying costs none the less...
TXBullion

Postby purple and gold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 am

i hope they never lift the ban and all these super hoarders get stuck with a huge pile of cents,,and have all their money tied up for nothing :lol: :lol:
Last edited by purple and gold on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
purple and gold

Postby purple and gold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 am

Greed always, always, turns around and bites you in the a$$ :D
purple and gold

Postby NHsorter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:22 am

I don't see how buying 5m in cents makes you greedy. It's not like he is cornering a market or depriving others somehow. There are trillions of pennies to be had. Savvy investing does not equal greed. Remember, worst case, he will have 5 million dollars out of this. I can think of millions of "greedier" investments that he could make with this money. A copper penny stash is more for wealth preservation, not exponential returns.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Gipper1985 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't see this as greedy either, maybe he his just testing the market. I am not 100% following this story, but is it possible that $5,000,000 is not a big deal to this particular investor. For some people $5,000,000 is an accounting error. Maybe he is a US Senator or something? :mrgreen:
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:02 pm

Got my second skunk box this year, and the other one - months ago - was a box of new cents. This one was an oddball - someone had dumped a BoA Brinks box at my Regions bank. Regions uses String boxes, and so when they brought out this oddball, already opened, as part of my order, my heart sank a little. Looked in it and there were 6 CWRs with the balance still Brinks plastic wrapped. I took it anyway, but when I got home the CWRs were all zinc, and I weighed the Brinks rolls without opening and they were all zinc as well. So clearly there is another sorter in my immediate area that I wasn't aware of, and I got his/her dump box, and they had gotten themselves a Brinks sorted box.

So, looks like the contagion has made its way to Florida. The String rolls, my norm, are still okay, so far.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby baggerman » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:06 pm

So far I have not seen any difference here in Oregon, still running 20%+ on just about every box.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Gipper1985 wrote: Maybe he is a US Senator or something? :mrgreen:
:lol:
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:45 am

Things have been great, any problems down south yet?
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 pm

everything wrote:Things have been great, any problems down south yet?

Still running at about 20percent here in central Georgia
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Staying around 25-27 % here in southern Ohio
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:34 pm

As noted above, Brink's boxes have become a crap-shoot that I've already tired of taking a chance on. I've had several skunks in recent months since the super sorter started, and I no longer bother wasting my time with Brinks. But Dunbar and Loomis boxes remain 20-23% Cu, as has been the recent norm.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby MUTiger » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:55 pm

60% through a Brinks box I just got and averaging about 27% copper with about 3 wheats for every 5 rolls. However, the previous Brinks was all new 2011s.

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby coinwolf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:08 am

i had a brinks full of zinc in Dec. but the last few boxes from same bank have been fine.
coinwolf
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby m21221 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:05 am

Seeing 24% to 25% in NC. I did experience a complete skunk several months ago.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:16 pm

I got another skunk this weekend. String box, and it was a standard-looking mix with plenty of old coins, but when I weighed it, it came in at just over 14 lbs. Ran it anyway and got 1.6% coppers!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby adagirl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:45 pm

tinhorn wrote:I got another skunk this weekend. String box, and it was a standard-looking mix with plenty of old coins, but when I weighed it, it came in at just over 14 lbs. Ran it anyway and got 1.6% coppers!

Ouch!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing