Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?

Postby justoneguy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 am

hags wrote:hard math stuffs

I won the math debate !!
now say that outloud fast :oops:
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:58 am

JerrySpringer wrote:http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/eight.asp

Interesting site. Click to the next page, a billion which is $10 million. It would be half that or 2.5 school buses.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:35 am

JerrySpringer wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:
hags wrote:hard math stuffs

Given the volume, about how big of a "site" would one need for that many pennies?

Multiply times 5 :

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/eight.asp

That kinda eliminates some locations very easily.....
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:22 am

ok..now that I have visualized it, I think Im gonna stop stacking at a billion.... :mrgreen:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 am

Common Cents wrote:I've consistently proclaimed that the 'window' to amass CU penny holdings would shut much quicker than many here can imagine. I've also stated the melt ban will prove to be much more irrelevant than people think. This 'rumor' only confirms my fears that our days our numbered.

This is not a rumor. They have a signed contract in place!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:59 am

It really doesn't take up that much space. A small warehouse can easily hold $5 million.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby xpred558 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:50 pm

I need to find some cash for more pennies fast!!!! Even though this might be a small amount in the grand scheme of things all it will take is a few more rich people and us normal people will be out of luck.
xpred558

Postby knibloe » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Has the penny story aired yet? Do you think that they are holding off because some large money people want to get their share first??
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:19 am

Another thing is, do wheaties usually get sorted out with non-wheat copper cents? I'd gather probably, but I've heard some of you here have wheats get sent to the zinc chute on your Rydales? Anyway, by my math, I get roughly 0.5% yield of wheats per a box of pennies. Just about 12 wheats per $25 sorted. My math says whoever is getting that $5 million in pennies will have about $24,000 in wheat pennies roughly. Can anyone see that maybe some key dates coins that still lurk out there in the wild, along with Indian Heads and maybe who knows what will get locked away in this hoard and probably eventually melted :( ?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:06 am

I can't adjust my comparitors tightly enough to accept or reject all wheats, so I'm guessing the Mystery Hoarder will lose about half of them, and ALL of his Indian Heads.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:41 pm

tinhorn wrote:I can't adjust my comparitors tightly enough to accept or reject all wheats, so I'm guessing the Mystery Hoarder will lose about half of them, and ALL of his Indian Heads.

So the wheats and Indians will be mixed in the zinc dumps! I may find that indian yet! LOL
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JobIII » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 am

Perhaps we could all go in on a group buy :)
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:41 am

JobIII wrote:Perhaps we could all go in on a group buy :)

Even if half of the RC members went in on a group buy, we would each have to invest 10K to get to the 5M order that was placed with Brinks. Then, we would have to distribute everything! Once this was done, then what would we do with our spare time? Tellers across the country would be filing missing persons reports. :o
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 am

Well it would be a 10K investment and another $130 for the servicing fees. Altogether a great price on a large amount of copper.

Logically this is the way to go. Let them do the work.

I'm in. now the remaining 499 buyers.
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

I was not trying to crap on the group buy idea. I was just joking around. It would be a great way to get some cheap cheap copper. Although it would be a huge undertaking. Sign me up. 498 to go!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Getting a group together to put money together is one thing. Finding someone to sell you the pennies for face value is the hard part....There was a group buy that was just put on here that bought several tons from me at The Portland Mint for very reasonable prices but defintly not face value....
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm

How do you figure that this "millionaire" got his contract with Brinks for the 5M at face? Do you just need to have that kind of money, or do you also need to know the right people?
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 pm

highroller4321 wrote:It really doesn't take up that much space. A small warehouse can easily hold $5 million.
20,000 5 GALLON BUCKETS or 1,666 55 gallon drums...how thick does the concrete base need to be?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:07 pm

fasteddy wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:It really doesn't take up that much space. A small warehouse can easily hold $5 million.
20,000 5 GALLON BUCKETS or 1,666 55 gallon drums...how thick does the concrete base need to be?

Heck, I have that much space in my basement. I could just rip the stairs out and start dumping buckets through the doorway until it's full. :lol:
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:59 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Getting a group together to put money together is one thing. Finding someone to sell you the pennies for face value is the hard part....There was a group buy that was just put on here that bought several tons from me at The Portland Mint for very reasonable prices but defintly not face value....

I thought the pennies would be coming through coinstar. This is a pretty amazing change. They sort and you collect for a very low fee. It completely avoids the hassle of sorting and returning yourself. New troubles would be collecting and storing...

Also I haven't bought boxes of pennies since October. Is anyone actually seeing low % or skunk boxes on the northeast? I am tempted to buy a couple to see what i get.
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 pm

NHsorter wrote:How do you figure that this "millionaire" got his contract with Brinks for the 5M at face? Do you just need to have that kind of money, or do you also need to know the right people?

The contract is through coinstar not brinks. Huge difference...

You also have to know certain people. Coinstar doesn't deal with just anyone.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 pm

fasteddy wrote:

Depends on how much weight you are putting per square inch. Obviously the higher you stack the more weight you put so it needs to be deeper.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby tinhorn » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:34 pm

JobIII wrote:Is anyone actually seeing low % or skunk boxes on the northeast? I am tempted to buy a couple to see what i get.

I picked up several boxes last week--two were Brinks--and my percentage was normal. The new wrinkle, though, is the changeover from the String boxes with peepholes to a cheaper box with no holes. The bank where I get most of my coins, though, has been receiving boxes of new zincs for months. They know I look for old pennies, so in the past they'd bring me only boxes containing old coins.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Why do they need to transport the copper - just hold it in the brinks facility. Does not get safer than that.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:12 pm

JadeDragon wrote:Why do they need to transport the copper - just hold it in the brinks facility. Does not get safer than that.

Rent.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing