Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Wow! Kyle Bass and his $1MM nickels just got rolled and smoked.

My percentages have always been 10-12%, which was one reason I never purchased a Ryedale auto.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PolishPunisher » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Where is the Congressional/Mint outrage? Isn't sorting pennies unpatriotic, worthless, and only for the stupid?
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:58 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Well I suppose I should shed some light on the topic....

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know about so information I have come across.

A very wealthy guy.from North Carolina. who I guess is in the investment business has made a deal with coinstar to buy $5,000,000 FACE VALUE in copper pennies. Yes, that is 1,666.66 TONS! He has made a contract with them for them to supply him with $5 MILLION face value over the next 2 years. (Yes, I said FIVE MILLION DOLLARS FACE VALUE)

Besides none of us getting the order the biggest kick in the pants is that he is only paying coinstar $65,000 over face value. 1.013x face.

I believe Brinks will be doing the sorting for coinstar. I am not sure if the investor has to pay brinks or not. Brinks has a machine called a supersorter that can sort out copper....they just have to turn the switch on.

I am not sure where they were going to start but I guess they have started in NC. Copper Catcher I'm sure will chime in and verify this...

The time is going to be coming sooner than we think that percentages will be under 10%!

I first discovered this when a order came in on the loading dock, multi thousand in bagged pennies, that turned out to be all zinc! I thought it was a cruel joke at first then confirmed why with Highroller...Still hunting a new source, beyond customer rolled coins.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby xpred558 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:52 pm

I wonder how much that order will effect the flow of coppers?
xpred558

Postby njoElec » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:53 pm

I had a gut feeling knowing this day would come...

There's still nickel hoarding, though not as profitable(IMHO)..
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby TXBullion » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:56 pm

ok ok, if anyone wants to buy copper, I will sell you some 3x face plus shipping ;)
TXBullion

Postby hobo finds » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:17 pm

68Camaro wrote:1.3% fee seems way low. They can't even transport for that. I believe they charge far more than that just for 5M in zincs, not to mention the sorting. You sure about the fee?

As to the volume, even 5Mil face - one time - is a drop in the bucket, but if this starts a trend, then the supply WILL dry up.

The 1.3% fee is low. But Coinstar already made there 9%+ fee on the change that was turned in
hobo finds

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Quickly, flood the Coinstars with Zincs!! If you can spare a few hundred and need stuff from Amazon or Lowes, do it!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:53 am

TXBullion wrote:ok ok, if anyone wants to buy copper, I will sell you some 3x face plus shipping ;)

3x including shipping. :mrgreen:

Several of us experienced this a couple of years ago all across the country. I got an entire 24 box shipment of circulated zinc. The machinery is out there.. it just takes the right conditions for them to throw the switch.

Sort all you can.. while you can. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Gipper1985 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:34 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
TXBullion wrote:ok ok, if anyone wants to buy copper, I will sell you some 3x face plus shipping ;)

3x including shipping. :mrgreen:

Several of us experienced this a couple of years ago all across the country. I got an entire 24 box shipment of circulated zinc. The machinery is out there.. it just takes the right conditions for them to throw the switch.

Sort all you can.. while you can. :mrgreen:

I wondered why you always discourage people from rooting for the melt ban to be lifted, but this small example confirms your contention that lifting the ban will mean game over for sorters.
Gipper1985
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Verbane » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:08 am

I wondered why you always discourage people from rooting for the melt ban to be lifted, but this small example confirms your contention that lifting the ban will mean game over for sorters.

+1
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:29 am

68Camaro wrote:1.3% fee seems way low. They can't even transport for that. I believe they charge far more than that just for 5M in zincs, not to mention the sorting. You sure about the fee?

As to the volume, even 5Mil face - one time - is a drop in the bucket, but if this starts a trend, then the supply WILL dry up.

Yes, I am 100% sure of the fee. Coinstar would normally have to PAY to get rid of the pennies so not only are they avoiding the fee they are making a small amount on them.

The investor is paying all shipping costs.....

5 Million isn't really a drop in the bucket! Its a small percentage but defintly not a drop in the bucket.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby PolishPunisher » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:34 am

How much total do you think he is paying with all fees and shipping? 1.3? 1.4? 1.8? 2.5?
PolishPunisher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:38 am

highroller4321 wrote:

Yes, I am 100% sure of the fee. Coinstar would normally have to PAY to get rid of the pennies so not only are they avoiding the fee they are making a small amount on them.

5 Million isn't really a drop in the bucket! Its a small percentage but defintly not a drop in the bucket.

Yeah - after I posted that, thought about it, I realized that it's a significant impact locally, in that entire area. It might even eventually affect me and others in the southeast. Hasn't yet, but give it time. And that for coinstar, given that they are doing this over two years, it's a bonus that 20-25% of all their pennies that they don't have to pay the fees to dispose of, so I'm sure it's a positive for them. However, I think they left money on the table - fairly sure they could have gotten more for them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:38 am

PolishPunisher wrote:How much total do you think he is paying with all fees and shipping? 1.3? 1.4? 1.8? 2.5?

I doubt even 1.1

I don't know where the copper will be stored but I assume NC. If they are just sorting around NC a person can ship a full truck (20-22 tons) for rather cheap.

If he is having to pay brinks to sort than it might bump up to 1.1-1.2.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:39 am

68Camaro wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

Yeah - after I posted that, thought about it, I realized that it's a significant impact locally, in that entire area. It might even eventually affect me and others in the southeast. Hasn't yet, but give it time. And that for coinstar, given that they are doing this over two years, it's a bonus that 20-25% of all their pennies that they don't have to pay the fees to dispose of, so I'm sure it's a positive for them. However, I think they left money on the table - fairly sure they could have gotten more for them.

You are dang right they did!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hags » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:27 pm

$5 million face equals 2.8/10 of 1% of total coppers minted....or a bit over 1/4 of 1% of total coppers ever minted....so the amount is a wee smal dent in the overall total.....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:39 pm

hags wrote:$5 million face equals 2.8/10 of 1% of total coppers minted....or a bit over 1/4 of 1% of total coppers ever minted....so the amount is a wee smal dent in the overall total.....

hags

You are correct but this might be the beginning of a trend. Maybe a millionaire has so much money that $5 million in coins being stored is nothing to them but Kyle Bass has stored some nickels already. Suppose other 1%'ers get intrigued by this and start deciding to hoard the copper and nickel? It will not take long for famines to develop for the copper. I am surprised they have not ordered pallets of halves already. The silver payout on some of those boxes could be a bonanza.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:57 pm

hags wrote:$5 million face equals 2.8/10 of 1% of total coppers minted....or a bit over 1/4 of 1% of total coppers ever minted....so the amount is a wee smal dent in the overall total.....

hags

You can't go off the mintages. There is a certain % that have been destroyed. Certain % that have been lost. Certain % that have gone to other countries. And the most importlant one....a certain % that was melted prior to the melt ban!

Even if the number equals to 1-2% of the coppers that is still a big number overal. Aver number of coppers in circ is around 25%. You take away 1-2% of those and add in a few billion new zincs your precentages will be below 20%. Do that a few times and we will be under 10%.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:04 pm

I thought we were supposed to save the zincs and dump the coppers? I was doing so well at 85%, ughhhhh back to the drawing board
TXBullion

Postby hags » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:56 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

hags

You can't go off the mintages. There is a certain % that have been destroyed. Certain % that have been lost. Certain % that have gone to other countries. And the most importlant one....a certain % that was melted prior to the melt ban!

Even if the number equals to 1-2% of the coppers that is still a big number overal. Aver number of coppers in circ is around 25%. You take away 1-2% of those and add in a few billion new zincs your precentages will be below 20%. Do that a few times and we will be under 10%.

true.....doing quick math is counter productive....a bit more in depth research reveals a much higher percentage is being collected to accomodate the $5 million order....

Total mintage of all lincoln cents equals 449.99 billion coins.....the U.S. Mint estimates that only 140 billion cents are actually in circulation, so only 31.11% of the total cents ever minted are still circulating.
Of the total mintage, 174.51 billion were copper and 275.48 billion were zinc, so at 31.11% in circulation we would have 54.29 billion copper cents and 85.70 billion zinc cents still circulating.
But 54.29 billion copper cents equals 38.78% of the cents in circulation,which is a percentage higer then realized on average. To average 25% copper from circulating coins the 85.70 billion zincs would equate to the other 75% in circulation, so 85.70 billion divided by 75 would mean 1% of the coin population equals 1.143 billion coins, thus the 25% copper in circulation would equal 1.143 times 25 or 28.58 billion coins. So from this we can summize that of the 54.29 billion copper coins in circulation, 25.71 billion have been removed leaving us 28.58 billion copper cents in circulation....The half billion coins needed to fill the $5 million dollar order therefore equals 1.75% of the presently circulating copper cents....but if you consider by removing 25.71 billion coins from circulation we would only have 114.28 billion cents then circulating, which is 22.51% less then the U.S. Mint estimates, we would only have to multiply the estimated coins in circulation by 22.51% to eqaul the 140 billion estimate...so 104.99 billion zinc and 35.01 billion copper cents circulating....and thus the half billion needed to fill the order would equal 1.43% of the presently circulating copper cents.......

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Common Cents » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 pm

I've consistently proclaimed that the 'window' to amass CU penny holdings would shut much quicker than many here can imagine. I've also stated the melt ban will prove to be much more irrelevant than people think. This 'rumor' only confirms my fears that our days our numbered.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 am

hags wrote:...and thus the half billion needed to fill the order would equal 1.43% of the presently circulating copper cents.......
hags

And it would only take a few dozen millionaires that wanted to store a $1 million of Cu pennies to create a Hubbert situation for us sorters. Good god, I hope reality TV does not want to do a series on this. Then its all over in a matter of months.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:41 am

hags wrote:hard math stuffs

Given the volume, about how big of a "site" would one need for that many pennies?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:47 am

cesariojpn wrote:
hags wrote:hard math stuffs

Given the volume, about how big of a "site" would one need for that many pennies?

Multiply times 5 :

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/eight.asp
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

PreviousNext

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing