Is anyone still making money off of copper cents?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Is anyone still making money off of copper cents?

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:02 am

Silver4face wrote:
An ebay seller would go bankrupt trying to ship the 40,920 pounds unless the buyer pays for the shipping which would be very expensive, ESPECIALLY IN TODAYS INFLATION WORLD. The only other option is local delivery/pickup

They're charging an additional $2,000 for freight shipping. Seems about right to me. But freight shippers will only deliver to curbside... You'd have to rent a forklift or something like that for the delivery day.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Catfish4u » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:27 am

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:
Silver4face wrote:
An ebay seller would go bankrupt trying to ship the 40,920 pounds unless the buyer pays for the shipping which would be very expensive, ESPECIALLY IN TODAYS INFLATION WORLD. The only other option is local delivery/pickup

They're charging an additional $2,000 for freight shipping. Seems about right to me. But freight shippers will only deliver to curbside... You'd have to rent a forklift or something like that for the delivery day.

409 ctu's.......... So about $5 per ctu for shipping sounds very cheap!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Silver4face » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:34 am

A CTU weighs roughly 17 pounds. $5.00 does sound very cheap. I will look into it for curiosity reasons.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NiBullionCu » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:31 pm

Silver4face wrote:A CTU weighs roughly 17 pounds. $5.00 does sound very cheap. I will look into it for curiosity reasons.

I thought a copper CTU of US cents was 68 Lbs.

As in you can cram 68 Lbs in an MFRB and with strapping tape come in at just under 70 Lbs (the max allowed in a MFRB)
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:08 pm

That is correct, 68 lbs.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silver4face » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:42 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:
Silver4face wrote:A CTU weighs roughly 17 pounds. $5.00 does sound very cheap. I will look into it for curiosity reasons.

I thought a copper CTU of US cents was 68 Lbs.

As in you can cram 68 Lbs in an MFRB and with strapping tape come in at just under 70 Lbs (the max allowed in a MFRB)

Oops I made a mistake. I forgot that a CTU is a $100 face. I have never packed more than a 40 dollar face in one container. I don't ship; i deliver. The 17 pounds that I mentioned earlier is for a penny box with 50 rolls of copper or simply a 25 dollar face. Anyway, how does a post office charge only 5 dollars for a 68 pound package?
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:59 pm

The ebay seller with the 20 ton listing....has 5 lots of 20 tons available :shock: :shock:

Yikes
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:35 pm

Morsecode wrote:The ebay seller with the 20 ton listing....has 5 lots of 20 tons available :shock: :shock:

Yikes

If I'm mathing right... that dude is sitting on over a quarter million dollars FV in pennies, lol. Great googely-moogely.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Silver4face » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:46 pm

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Morsecode wrote:The ebay seller with the 20 ton listing....has 5 lots of 20 tons available :shock: :shock:

Yikes

If I'm mathing right... that dude is sitting on over a quarter million dollars FV in pennies, lol. Great googely-moogely.

This has to be the greatest hoard ever!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:07 pm

I have let copper pennies and nickel nickels sit out-of-stock on my website for a long time. I have some coins sitting around, but they need to be verified and packaged (and in some cases sorted for condition). Lately I have had some email inquires from old and new customers looking for copper and nickel coins, and did two orders via email. Looks like I need to straighten up the sorting area and package some coins.
natsb88

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:25 pm

I was just looking at my pile of 95% pennies and deciding I can't move them to the next place. I've got several hundred pounds so I guess I will try to sell them through RealCent, but only locally. I can't imagine shipping them through the USPS.

I'm in San Antonio, TX. I'm willing to drive around 100 miles one-way to do a deal. What's a fair asking price these days?

Anybody doing Craigslist or OfferUp to sell pennies?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:10 am

shinnosuke wrote:I was just looking at my pile of 95% pennies and deciding I can't move them to the next place. I've got several hundred pounds so I guess I will try to sell them through RealCent, but only locally. I can't imagine shipping them through the USPS.

I'm in San Antonio, TX. I'm willing to drive around 100 miles one-way to do a deal. What's a fair asking price these days?

As mentioned by me a month ago on this same thread, I was able to pick up a new buyer for copper cents three years ago. Found him on Craigslist as he responded to my ad. My previous buyer (2012-2019) was also from Craigslist.
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:08 am

shinnosuke wrote:I was just looking at my pile of 95% pennies and deciding I can't move them to the next place. I've got several hundred pounds so I guess I will try to sell them through RealCent, but only locally. I can't imagine shipping them through the USPS.

If you try OfferUp, you might want to try to meet at a place like a police or fire station. Don’t just show up there though. Call to coordinate with someone (at the business) and make sure they don’t have a problem with it.

Think about it this way. You give me your home address on OfferUp and we meet. I tell you the coins don’t look good enough and leave. Later, when you are asleep, I come back and take them for free. Another variation- I arrive and rob you in plain daylight. I’ve already swapped out my license plate a few blocks away so you wouldn’t have a very good chance of catching me.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:10 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:

If you try OfferUp, you might want to try to meet at a place like a police or fire station. Don’t just show up there though. Call to coordinate with someone (at the business) and make sure they don’t have a problem with it.

Think about it this way. You give me your home address on OfferUp and we meet. I tell you the coins don’t look good enough and leave. Later, when you are asleep, I come back and take them for free. Another variation- I arrive and rob you in plain daylight. I’ve already swapped out my license plate a few blocks away so you wouldn’t have a very good chance of catching me.

Great point. I used a local police station parking lot last time I bought a bit of Ag.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby horgad » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:10 pm

For the record, 30lbs sold today for $105. $80 after shipping and fees. About $43.50 face value in pennies so $36.50 for my time and labor. In about 10 years, I might actually sell out. :D :D
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing