Deposit Record?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Deposit Record?

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:00 am

I dump my pennies at a credit union with a free coin machine for members. It (the machine) has got capacity to hold $200 in pennies at a time (4x $50 bags), so the bank employees have to empty it out a few times during my visits. They don't seem to mind too much. I only visit once every month or so, and I keep a high balance in my account.

I typically dump between $600 - $800 per visit. I always bring donuts, and my cute kids come along with me, which helps keep the bank folks friendly.

Last week, I dumped $1,100 in one visit, which is the most I've ever done. Didn't have any problems.

I only dump pennies here, never any other denomination.

Questions:

1) How much do you guys usually dump at a time? What's the most you've done at once?
2) How do you keep your dump bank friendly if you're dumping 10's of thousands of zinc pennies at a time?
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Deposit Record?

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:27 am

I usually dump halves and about $400-700 at a time. I do this perhaps every 2-3 months or so. When I dump pennies, it is usually only $20-40 at a time.

The only issues I have are when the machine is broken. It used to be that customers could use the coin counting machine, but the machine was moved to the back room several years ago.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:01 am

I feel like i'm pushing it when I dump more than $50. Inevitably the bag has to be replaced which is a chore and its often on the fritz.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:58 am

My dump credit union now had a $1,000 limit a month.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:47 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I usually dump halves and about $400-700 at a time. I do this perhaps every 2-3 months or so. When I dump pennies, it is usually only $20-40 at a time.

The only issues I have are when the machine is broken. It used to be that customers could use the coin counting machine, but the machine was moved to the back room several years ago.

Yeah, in my experience, half dollars make the machine break down. Those huge buggers, the machine just struggles with them. I used to dump halves at the machine, and more often than not, it'd have a problem during my dump and need to be reset, or cool down, or unclogged, etc. After a while, I just started re-rolling my halves, or spending them on gasoline, groceries, etc.

Pennies, the machine chews through those like they're nothing.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Silver4face » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:37 pm

I mostly dump pennies and nickels. I stop at various dump locations usually twice a week. If I know that I'm going to be near one, I bring what I got and dump WITHOUT ANY FEES. I have topped $200 a few times, but usually it's more like 40-80 dollars. After dumping, I ask for half dollars and Ikes. I do not deposit the money; I usually invest it in more rolls from other nearby banks.
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cwgii » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:26 pm

Tourney64 wrote:My dump credit union now had a $1,000 limit a month.

Ouch
cwgii

Postby cwgii » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:30 pm

My personal records are $1700 One time when I had 3 boxes of halves.second was 1500, a bag of small dollars plus dimes.

I am lucky, there are still 3 credit unions with machines.
cwgii

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:36 am

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:I usually dump halves and about $400-700 at a time. I do this perhaps every 2-3 months or so. When I dump pennies, it is usually only $20-40 at a time.

Yeah, in my experience, half dollars make the machine break down. Those huge buggers, the machine just struggles with them. I used to dump halves at the machine, and more often than not, it'd have a problem during my dump and need to be reset, or cool down, or unclogged, etc. After a while, I just started re-rolling my halves, or spending them on gasoline, groceries, etc.

Pennies, the machine chews through those like they're nothing.

I imagine it probably depends on the brand of machine. Not sure what brand is at my bank as it is in the back room. That said, nobody has ever mentioned halves specifically to me as being a problem. I don't know if they are just being polite or are too clueless to notice tendencies for the machine to get bogged down.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby DC_Penny_Guy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:14 am

I would love to do more frequent deposits and smaller amounts... The problem is that my job makes weekdays impossible. None of the free coin machine locations are anywhere near my office. Saturday mornings are my only option.

Also, someone pointed out to me that driving 30 minutes each way to a dump back effectively means I'm paying $10 in gasoline just to dump coins. So, I try to be more efficient by decreasing the frequency of visits. Once in a blue moon, one of my kids will have an activity on a Saturday morning that's close to a dump bank location, and that's always nice.
DC_Penny_Guy
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cwgii » Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:46 pm

DC_Penny_Guy wrote:I would love to do more frequent deposits and smaller amounts... The problem is that my job makes weekdays impossible. None of the free coin machine locations are anywhere near my office. Saturday mornings are my only option.

Also, someone pointed out to me that driving 30 minutes each way to a dump back effectively means I'm paying $10 in gasoline just to dump coins. So, I try to be more efficient by decreasing the frequency of visits. Once in a blue moon, one of my kids will have an activity on a Saturday morning that's close to a dump bank location, and that's always nice.

Yeah,i used to figure a day of running around would be 75 miles, at 15 mpg...5 gallons...&20. So I would try to go ..all-day. 9--5.

That said, there were times ,1, bank would wipe out my funds. Then it was time for thrift stores or pawn.
cwgii

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing