Buying Gas with Zincs

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Buying Gas with Zincs

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:13 am

Did something today that I hadn't done in a while. I bought my gas with zincs.

Oh the look on their face! You have to prepay in CA.. so you just go up and tell them you would like to buy $50 worth on whatever pump you are parked next to. Then calmly reach into your bag and slide the 2 boxes of pennies across the counter.. like you do it everyday. When he started to to hem and haw... "I'm not sure.." I just said "What, nobody buys their gas with pennies anymore?"

It's fun.. and helps a little with the zinc disposal. As far as I know, Deal and I are the only 2 members of the double box club.. but he cheats.. he doesn't have to prepay.. just pumps the gas and them drops the pennies on them.. not nearly as challenging.

Deal currently holds the all time record for non-prepay at about $62 and I hold the current prepay record at $51. Any other players? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: Buying Gas with Zincs

Postby west77 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:57 am

That would be a bit of a challenge. My truck takes around $120 from empty. I have tossed in a few rolls of nickel in the past, and I have paid for my fast food with zinc... but I have never bought a tank of gas with pennies. I discovered when my bank card stopped working that I could not prepay for gas using that card (for people south of the boarder, most of our transactions are paid by interac machines at businesses- direct transfer of funds.) I only had $$20 in rolled nickels that were kicking around the truck and paid using those.

A friend was discussing the fact that in Canada our businesses are not forced to take more than a certain amount of each denomination per transaction. He wondered what they would do if you pumped your gas and dumped LOOSE coin on them. Would they try to refuse the purchase (just be sure to not have any other method of payment on you to force the issue...)

Anyhow, perhaps one day I will be gutsy enough to try that; for now I have enough fun dropping rolls on unsuspecting businesses for small purchases. It might get even more interesting with machine rolled change that looks like it originated at the bank. Perhaps I will find myself explaining to an officer how I acquired a couple of hundred dollars of machine rolled pennies and why I am in possession of them if it was not from a robbery. :lol:
west77

Postby GTOJohn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:51 am

wow - makes me smile. no, i have never paid paid for gas with zincs. half dollars, yes. even with half dollars you get plenty of looks and comments.
but - you are in a league of your own - spending a couple of boxes of zincs!!!
keep it up!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 am

Then calmly reach into your bag and slide the 2 boxes of pennies across the counter.. like you do it everyday.

I love this part. :)
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:38 am

Thant is great.... I have used maybe 5 dollars at a pop....
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

sounds like a challenge that I accept and I know just the gas station I'm going to go it to!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Wow what kind of bag do yo carry around that can carry two boxes of zincs :)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby harley1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:59 pm

i am glad i dont have to re-roll my zincs. i just dump it ;)
harley1
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm

harley1 wrote:i am glad i dont have to re-roll my zincs. i just dump it ;)

I think Hoard could just dumps his too. He just rerolls them for the heck of it.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:37 pm

I love it.
I always pay for gas with halves. 2 weeks ago I paid my sanitary bill at city hall with halves. I carry a box of halves in the car with me and no matter where I stop if it's for gas or something to eat I use halves, that way I don't have to take so many to the bank. The banks here don't mind all the other coins but they hate halves. I tried to get my wife to use them when she goes food shopping but she won't. You would be surprised at the number of people that never saw halves before. I've had cashiers check with managers to see if they are real. One of the stores here have a small machine that they put the rolls on to make sure they're not short any coins.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 pm

I love using halfs to buy stuff with.....I usually tip with them though. Every one seems to like them
Last edited by AdamsSamoa on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 pm

appjoe wrote:I love it.
I always pay for gas with halves. 2 weeks ago I paid my sanitary bill at city hall with halves. I carry a box of halves in the car with me and no matter where I stop if it's for gas or something to eat I use halves, that way I don't have to take so many to the bank. The banks here don't mind all the other coins but they hate halves. I tried to get my wife to use them when she goes food shopping but she won't. You would be surprised at the number of people that never saw halves before. I've had cashiers check with managers to see if they are real. One of the stores here have a small machine that they put the rolls on to make sure they're not short any coins.

Fantastic Joe. I also pay with halves for these things monthly:

Gasoline
Cell bill
Water bill
Mortgage
Lunch
post office

Feel free to brainstorm any more that I (we) can add.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Your Dentist
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Thogey wrote:Your Dentist

Moreover, If you have the right halves the dentist may help you with the bill a bit. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Corsair » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:Your Dentist

Moreover, If you have the right halves the dentist may help you with the bill a bit. ;)

I'd hate to know what the dentist would do should someone pay with the wrong halves.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I buy scratch off lotto tickets with rolled zincs.... cash in the winners and buy silver from the local coin shop
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby .02FYI » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Ok this group has got me thinking . Increase the unload on the gas attendent. I won't go for any records. However have been paying for fuel with some rolls of pennies and nickel's.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:58 pm

I really like this thread... I bought gas, smokes, coffee, and a doughnut (really healthy I know) with CuNi halfs this AM on the way to work. Not only do I enjoy releasing Kens back into the wild, It is good for the environment / treasury. https://www.msu.edu/~alocilja/undergrad ... s_coin.pdf

just doing my part.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Joogaler » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:10 pm

I should wait till everyone else that I worked with get's fired (2 down already with 1 to go) then dump around $50 in pennies on them... Bagged!
The funny thing is, it's their COMPANY POLICY to take large amounts of change without counting it.

Just to let you know, this is any Murphy USA or Murphy Express gas station. So if you're low on cash and have to use change, just count it, bring it in and tell them how much it is. If they refuse just tell them that you know it's the companies policy.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:48 pm

boy I hope they arent in the northern part of CA or they may be in trouble!
misteroman

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:21 am

Dang, I can't find any Murphy's in Northern CA.

I did do a single box purchase of gas this week at one of my regular gas stations. The guy takes the box into the back room.. presumedly to ask the manager.. and comes out and says.. "That's $25 on number 11 right?" Then I bought a couple of Hoard size sodas with a roll of dimes.

I use halves for gas and things all the time. One gas station guy always cusses me out.. "Vee are not a bank.. take those to the bank!" I bought lunch Friday with halves.. ones I had picked up that afternoon and pulled the one silver one out of.

The bags I use are nice tote bags I got free from work. I use them for smaller quantities of coins when going into or out of the bank.. 3 or 4 boxes of pennies in each bag.. one bag on each side to maintain my balance. Anything bigger than $200 of pennies I have to break the cart out. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Joogaler » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:46 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Dang, I can't find any Murphy's in Northern CA.

I did do a single box purchase of gas this week at one of my regular gas stations. The guy takes the box into the back room.. presumedly to ask the manager.. and comes out and says.. "That's $25 on number 11 right?" Then I bought a couple of Hoard size sodas with a roll of dimes.

I use halves for gas and things all the time. One gas station guy always cusses me out.. "Vee are not a bank.. take those to the bank!" I bought lunch Friday with halves.. ones I had picked up that afternoon and pulled the one silver one out of.

The bags I use are nice tote bags I got free from work. I use them for smaller quantities of coins when going into or out of the bank.. 3 or 4 boxes of pennies in each bag.. one bag on each side to maintain my balance. Anything bigger than $200 of pennies I have to break the cart out. :mrgreen:

To bad you can't find a Murphy... You're a beast to tote $200 in pennies at a time! That's roughly 60 Lb's per arm!

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 am

Nah, it's only 112 pounds total.. 56 pounds per arm.. It is all zincs when I haul in $200 worth. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Joogaler » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Nah, it's only 112 pounds total.. 56 pounds per arm.. It is all zincs when I haul in $200 worth. :mrgreen:

Ok I gotcha. Dumping, not picking up. Still a good amount to carry though.

Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:40 am

I suppose I have picked up that many a few times also.. on drivebys.. but it is much more common for me to be dumping that many.

Friday I picked up $1000 in dimes and $180 in nickels from one of my banks. The bags were kind of heavy.. but I could of hoisted a few more. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing