-UPDATED- Got a $29 dollar widows pre-sort today.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

-UPDATED- Got a $29 dollar widows pre-sort today.

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:34 pm

Today I and my son stopped at a Chase bank in Jacksonville Oregon that we have not been to for a long time and they had new teller there. I ask if they had any CWR and she said some old lady had just dropped off a large amount. We got $29 in old rolls all but five of the rolls that were marked with a count and date and mint mark. Most were marked from the 1940s and the last year was 1968.
IMG_0047 by henrysmedford, on Flickr
Last edited by henrysmedford on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Got a $29 dollar widow pre-sort today.

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Nice find. I'm sure you asked if she happen to drop off any rolls of dimes, quarters, or fifty cent pieces?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Surprise, Surprise!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 pm

NDFarmer wrote:Nice find. I'm sure you asked if she happen to drop off any rolls of dimes, quarters, or fifty cent pieces?

I forgot. And that is the truth Franklin was all worked up and we were running late so if you want to stop by the Chase in Jacksonville Oregon in the AM it all yours if they have any. :D
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm

he shoots...he scores!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:38 pm

bman wrote:he shoots...he scores!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

A true hockey fan????

I'm sure Franklin would love to play hockey!

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Thogey wrote:Surprise, Surprise!

This is great! He doesn't even have to say anything now! I mean... geez, the thread title says it all!
A WIDOW PRESORT! :lol:
uthminsta

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 pm

henrysmedford wrote:
NDFarmer wrote:Nice find. I'm sure you asked if she happen to drop off any rolls of dimes, quarters, or fifty cent pieces?

I forgot. And that is the truth Franklin was all worked up and we were running late so if you want to stop by the Chase in Jacksonville Oregon in the AM it all yours if they have any. :D

Dude, there is no way you can get back there tomorrow? What about calling ahead to ask if there are other denominations from the old lady? That way you can save some gas potentially. I would be all over this. Oh, solid silver rolls, come to daddy!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 pm

I went thru Medford Sun afternoon, I did wave :wave: as I remembered you an Franklin. It was warm an Dry no Chains required thats almost as good as coppers or Silver ;)
:clap: That is a very nice find I will try to see a bank tomorrow with a chance to park the Motor home an pick up within walking distance To ask for Half's or customer Wraps cents. I'M in Mojave high Desert Calif. on High way 58. Doubt the bank will be open when we leave in AM. :( Wife has been more flexible on Auto trips, Parking hooked up at 50 feet+ is a hassle :oops:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:20 am

New rule go through marked rolls 1964 could be a 2 pfennig. We also got a 1925, (2) 1925-S, 1937,1939-S also a large number of 1967 stampped a little off.
Scanned Image 123320000 by henrysmedford, on Flickr
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:21 am

uthminsta wrote:
Thogey wrote:Surprise, Surprise!

This is great! He doesn't even have to say anything now! I mean... geez, the thread title says it all!
A WIDOW PRESORT! :lol:

Yeah! I already knew what was up before I opened the thread! Thogey's widow strikes again! :lol:

Now we have a new term to add to our coin lovers lexicon: The WIDOW'S PRESORT!!

Man, that is an awesome find! Talk about a coin lovers dream come true! WTG!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:23 am

henrysmedford wrote:New rule go through marked rolls 1964 could be a 2 pfennig. We also got a 1925, (2) 1925-S, 1937,1939-S also a large number of 1967 stampped a little off.
Scanned Image 123320000 by henrysmedford, on Flickr

Awww, look at those babies!!! Nice!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

NHsorter wrote:
henrysmedford wrote:

Dude, there is no way you can get back there tomorrow? What about calling ahead to ask if there are other denominations from the old lady? That way you can save some gas potentially. I would be all over this. Oh, solid silver rolls, come to daddy!

I am in Jville at the Chase on my lunch hour and found out the only pennies were brought in. I did get $5 more in CRW not the same batch.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:30 pm

henrysmedford wrote:I am in Jville at the Chase on my lunch hour and found out the only pennies were brought in. I did get $5 more in CRW not the same batch.

Dang. Funny, I get the same "oh, gosh" feeling when I read about you guys missing out on potential awesomeness as I do when it happens to me. I tend to have wishful thinking on a lot of these pick ups. But hey, it's what keeps me going.

Sorry that it was not the silver roll motherlode that we were all hoping you would get. Next time!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: -UPDATED- Got a $29 dollar widows pre-sort today.

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:27 am

I hope Thogey will answer this what would have caused a man over forty years ago to find a bunch of worn wheats and then run them through a rock tumbler. Then took said coins and rolled them mark the rolls with the dates and mints but not having the count not add up to fifty, and then filling the left over space with AU cents from 1960-69. He also did not mark on the rolls any dates pre 1940 but then had twenty pre 1940 coins in the rolls not listed. Then he took most of the S mints pre 1940 coins and ran them through a rock tumbler and then polished them.
I asked my wife her thoughts on why and she said you and your son just spent over two hours looking at his work and re-sorting and re-rolling and you ask why.
Thogey I need your wisdom on why this happened .
Click on photo for larger view.

Click on photo for larger view.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: -UPDATED- Got a $29 dollar widows pre-sort today.

Postby Thogey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:23 am

The first part is easy. The old bat borrowed the wheats and spent them back int the 1960s (when she was young, before she knew EVERYTHING) then she replaced them with new cents.
Kinda like taking a drink of Dad's bourbon and filling the bottle back up with water.

I think the rest of his behaviour was meconing or some kind of psy-op activity to keep her off balance and away from his collection.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing