Just finished another copper bag...

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Just finished another copper bag...

Postby scyther » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:28 am

I don't think I posted about it at the time, but a couple months ago I got 2 bags of pennies with an extremely high percentage of copper and a few other distinctive characteristics. For one thing, there were more Canadian pennies than usual, and from older years than usual (nothing really that old, but a few George VIs). Also, there were a lot of surprisingly shiny pennies from certain years. 68, 70, 72, 73, 74, 89, and 95 come to mind. I got quite a few 68 S's. I usually only get a couple really shiny coppers per bag, and I probably got like 200 between those bags. So I think it was obviously a hoard of pennies that someone had decided to dump for whatever reason (perhaps it was Thogey's widow!). It must have been quite a hoard to fill up at least 2 bags, maybe more. Strangely, there weren't any more wheats than usual, meaning the ratio of wheats to coppers was lower than usual. Total copper percent was maybe 70-75%; I didn't try to count.

That was about 2 months ago. I just finished sorting a similar bag now. A lot of Canadians from older years, and an unnaturally high copper percent (not as high as last time, but probably over 50%) without a significantly higher number of wheats (unfortunately no shiny coppers this time). I wonder if it was the same person that just found another bag in their basement or something. Very strange.

In the end, I got 28 Canadians (27 copper, one zinc/steel) and 29 wheats. Unlike last time, there were actually a few treasures among the wheats: 3 from the 30s (a 34, a 37, and a 39), a 1920, and a 1910- the oldest coin I've found so far!
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Just finished another copper bag...

Postby Numis Pam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:14 am

That ls awesome!!! May the Force continue to be with you!!! :angel:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing