When is enough enough?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: When is enough enough?

Postby Zincanator » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 pm

It is strange how relaxing hand sorting is. Kinda like fishing, I guess. Good chance to be alone with your thoughts, drink a beer or two, and hope you catch a big one (1909 S VDB). Think I'll stop by the bank tomorrow and see if they're feeling generous with their pennies...
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby FatherRosado » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:02 pm

I just don't have the space or patience for the copper cents. I sort pennies for Wheaties and return everything else :0) I prefer silver.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ME Co. » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 am

I started out sorting coppers till my next payday in '07, then I got my first box of halves. By '08 I was sorting 42 boxes a week + whatever else I could scrounge. 2008-2010 I got just under 1000 oz/ year. By 2011 the free silvers were gone from halves but the addiction was still there so I switched to dimes with the same vengeance and in 3 years I scalped over 3000 of the little slivers. Now those are mostly gone as well (last try was 10 boxes/ 1 sliver) and now I been sorting nicks for over a year. Guess when the nicks are gone I may have to do cents again unless I find a life ha. BTW the copper hoard went back to the bank somewhere along the way.
HH all, Mark
"Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want but you can only spend it once."
ME Co.

Postby Shazbot57 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 pm

NEVER!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:17 pm

A few thoughts here...

If you own a Ryedale, you probably need to find at least enough copper to pay for the machine.

If you see someone selling a barely used Ryedale for only $100, you buy it, and then someone else shows up selling one for only $50, that might be a sign that we are near the end with copper.

I like to think about it this way. If I had $600 of copper like mentioned above and it went up 500-1000%, would that change my lifestyle or allow me to retire? Not even close! That would only be a few thousand dollars. If you had, say, $200k in silver and it went up 500-1000%, then I think you'd have a situation where a lot more people who would start thinking about retirement. That would be more like $1-2 million.

I agree with one of the other posters in that one whiff of the U.S. Mint deciding to stop making pennies, and the lines will be long at the banks. If you see a sign at the banks saying "Out of pennies!", that will be a sad day.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:A few thoughts here...

If you had, say, $200k in silver and it went up 500-1000%, then I think you'd have a situation where a lot more people who would start thinking about retirement. That would be more like $1-2 million.

If you had $200,000 in Silver and it goes up 500-1000%, don't let your neighbors know or THEY'LL be thinking about retirement! :lol:
And you're right, that would be a sad day! :o
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 pm

ME Co. wrote:I started out sorting coppers till my next payday in '07, then I got my first box of halves. By '08 I was sorting 42 boxes a week + whatever else I could scrounge. 2008-2010 I got just under 1000 oz/ year. By 2011 the free silvers were gone from halves but the addiction was still there so I switched to dimes with the same vengeance and in 3 years I scalped over 3000 of the little slivers. Now those are mostly gone as well (last try was 10 boxes/ 1 sliver) and now I been sorting nicks for over a year. Guess when the nicks are gone I may have to do cents again unless I find a life ha. BTW the copper hoard went back to the bank somewhere along the way.
HH all, Mark

Wait a minute? Don't I/we know you? Weren't you here before?

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby robroy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Thanks for the replies. Since I started this thread I've added a couple more boxes to my copper stash. Further, I have amassed a total of 1,500 wheat back pennies. I usually find maybe 10 - 12 per box (I gone through what I consider to be a lot of boxes). In addition I became a another year older but my debt is staying as low as possible (contrary to the song).

I've stopped putting the copper into rolls but the same plastic baggies that I get my meds in. I think that that should be safe.

I sort by hand, and am beginning to wonder if I've missed some golden opportunities with my hand searching, but I'm doing the best that I know how to do. At this point I really don't want to go back and resort all those rolls by date.

Any ideas?
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:10 am

This thread started out with the figure of $600. It is interesting that that's roughly the cost of a Ryedale sorter. So if you had one and found $600 in copper, you could say the machine has paid for itself.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:30 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
robroy wrote:I have been roll searching for a few years now and have begun to wonder at what point are people saying enough is enough and stop looking for copper.

I am not reselling (yet), and currently am not thinking about stopping searching. But I do wonder at what point would you stop looking for copper. I'm looking for a face dollar amount that people think is enough to store. I currently have over $600 plus a few folders and albums and am beginning to wonder if I have an obsession.

When it becomes a chore.
When storage becomes an issue.
When the fish are biting. :shh:

Best overall answer...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby frugi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:42 am

i have several+ tons of copper cents in a safe, easily accessible, not in the way storage. So, that leaves me in a position where it is out of sight out of mind. However, in the past couple of years I have amassed quite a bit more that wont fit into the storage area, and instead has found its way into jars, buckets, bags, boxes and whatever I can stick them in that are definitely in the way. Out of laziness this stuff is sitting around in my daily lived in areas, and not stored out of the way.

To answer when enough is enough, I would say when it gets to the point that you have no room to store a sheet of paper anywhere, that is when you probably have enough pennies and nickels.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby robroy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm

frugi wrote:To answer when enough is enough, I would say when it gets to the point that you have no room to store a sheet of paper anywhere, that is when you probably have enough pennies and nickels.

Now that seems to be quite an imposing problem when someone can't even store a piece of paper. I am nowhere near that situation yet. Probably will never be, but it sure would be fun to attempt to reach that status. In the meantime, all my future findings will be placed into a 55 gallon metal drum. When that fills up I'll have to fine another. In the meantime, because I'm retired the problem of disposing of the coins will fall onto my children.

It's going to be sort of Dad's revenge.
Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you.

Neither a penny or a nickel is worth face value anymore.

I'm just a poor wayfaring stranger.
robroy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 am

robroy wrote:
frugi wrote:To answer when enough is enough, I would say when it gets to the point that you have no room to store a sheet of paper anywhere, that is when you probably have enough pennies and nickels.

Now that seems to be quite an imposing problem when someone can't even store a piece of paper. I am nowhere near that situation yet. Probably will never be, but it sure would be fun to attempt to reach that status. In the meantime, all my future findings will be placed into a 55 gallon metal drum. When that fills up I'll have to fine another. In the meantime, because I'm retired the problem of disposing of the coins will fall onto my children.

It's going to be sort of Dad's revenge.

Hopefully that 55 gallon drum won't get too rusty- that could potentially be a problem for pennies (I'm not a scientist- so I am just speculating) if there is rust in the drum. Anyone else agree or disagree with this from a scientific standpoint?

Recyclersteve

Postby coppernickel » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 am

Gobirds66 wrote:I guess there are a few indicators that will tell me when enough is enough....
1.) When there is no more copper left to find in the wild. Then what I have will be enough.
2.) When banks will no longer source my pennies at face value, then I will have enough.
3.) When the wife kills me because she can no longer weave her way through the maze of what I call a hoard in the basement. Then I will have enough.
4.) I just peel off the face of the earth due to my obsession. Then I will have had enough.

The reality is that by the time I get to #4, the other 3 will most likely have happened, and I am going with #3 as the most likely scenario to stop my hoarding since i am still finding Wheats over 100 years old and my copper percentages have not really dropped too much over the years.

:thumbup: That is the best summary.

Just one more won't hurt!
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:22 am

How about a comparison of copper with nickel, silver and gold:

1. $5,000 of copper weighs approx. 1,600 lbs. and would fit in a container approx. 3 ft. W x 3' D x 2 1/2' H (I'm judging this from the appearance of RC members containers used to ship tons- no I haven't bought any- just judging from looking at the photos);
2. $5,000 of nickel should weight approx. 700 lbs. and would (wild guesstimate) fit in a container a bit smaller than half the size of the copper container;
3. $5,000 of silver weighs approx. 20# and would likely fit in a coffee can (actually 3- 100 oz. bars would easily fit in a coffee can with much room to spare); and
4. $5,000 of gold weighs a bit more than 4 ounces and would easily fit in the palm of your hand.

This is not a pitch for gold by any means, just a few facts to show the relative amounts of space taken up by these investments. These were just quick back of the envelope type calculations. I'm open to comments from others with more exacting numbers. I hope this isn't too off topic...

Recyclersteve

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing