First time I have sorted any cents in a while

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

First time I have sorted any cents in a while

Postby BenG76 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Decided to dust off the Ryedale today. I haven't sorted in a good six months or more. Stopped at my bank and got a $50 bag. A little while after I got home the teller that handles the change called me to let me know the bag may be off. They know me well at this bank and my wife's aunt is the manager. She knows I have a counter so I told her I would check it and let them know how much it was off next time I am there. They let me bring my bags back to this bank and swap them out for ones I haven't been through. Its a pretty good arrangement and I haven't been through the same bags as they keep up with which ones I have been through when I am sorting. They typically call me when they get something good in as well.

Any ways here is the breakdown of the bag. I ran zinc accept on the Ryedale with a 2012 penny. I glanced through these and only found 2 90's Canadians and no wheat's as best as I can tell. I then switched back to the coin that came with my Ryedale which I believe is a 73. It rejected a few zincs but nothing else of note.
Got the following:
Searched $44.50
Got 1149 coppers 25.82%
9 Wheat's one was a 1919 rest were 40's and 50's
7 Canadians
2 dimes
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Re: First time I have sorted any cents in a while

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Almost got a bag recently myself....I need a buyer or two to get me rolling again!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby BenG76 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:19 pm

I sold most of my hoard a while back. I may start building it back up now.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 pm

Talk about like minds. I haven't fired up the sorter for a little over a year. Called the bank and ordered $75 worth for next Thursday. Been getting bored after work and if nothing else, would like to start finding wheats again. Not sure if I will even keep the coppers . :oops:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:10 pm

I think we are thinking the same. I think we are all getting the message the economy is starting the down turn.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm

I haven't been able to slow down since I started! :shock:
And you guys call yourselves penny addicts. :roll:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:19 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:I haven't been able to slow down since I started! :shock:
And you guys call yourselves penny addicts. :roll:

I am seeing somebody now...dealing quite well with my addiction now!

BUT posts like these are pushing me over the edge.........!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby NotABigDeal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Been a LONG time since I've fired up the "vintage" Coin Artist or the counter. They would be collecting dust if it wasn't for the sheet over them, hehe. Sold off all my unsorted bank bags several months back and I've even stopped my pickups. Too much brass to deal with and no time for copper. Oh well. One day....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby BenG76 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:52 pm

Did 2 boxes today. One Loomis box I got from Wells Fargo and another unmarked box I got from BOA. Got the following.
$10.69 copper 21.38%
14 Wheat cents oldest 1918
11 Canadians
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby theshoenlebens » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:00 pm

Ran my 3 boxes. Averaged 26% so acceptable and I have another order in for this Thursday. :thumbup:

11 wheats and 5 canadians :thumbup:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 pm

it was fun while it lasted (for me). Back when I started (which lasted about two years), I built up to four ryedales, built a stack of over $10,000 face... and then sold them all (avg $155 per $100 lot) to a steady buyer in Los Angeles.
Dumped the proceeds into more silver and gold and sold the sorters. I read the writing on the wall when the banks wanted to start charging me for supplying boxes and got out. Plus, out here in California,
the percentages were never more than about 18%. Too close to the Portland Mint and HoardCopperByTheTon :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby BenG76 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 am

I went Thursday to return a bag to the bank. I carried the bag back into the room for the lady. I noticed they had a bunch of rolled up cents and each roll was marked by the year. All seemed to be at least pre 82. I got $50 worth of these. There are still around $200 left of them. I plan to go back to get the rest this week. The lady said she would save them for me. No sorting required on these so that will be nice.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mr Paradise » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:57 am

Still been hand sorting $50 a week. The next bubble is on the horizon...
Mr Paradise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I haven't sorted anything for over a year now. I still keep what coppers I find in change, but that's the extent of my "sorting" :lol:

I may have to pick up a box again in the near future, so I can keep my sorting skills sharp! I might even do a box of nickels.....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 pm

So those of you not sorting much, what are you doing instead PM wise, if anything? I've been digging through the garage for tools, hobby toys, etc. I never use anymore, selling it on Craigs for cash, then buy ASEs at the LCS with the $. Garage is organized enough to actually fit vehicles again, and my stack has benefitted for sure :thumbup: .
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:34 am

Zincanator wrote:So those of you not sorting much, what are you doing instead PM wise, if anything? I've been digging through the garage for tools, hobby toys, etc. I never use anymore, selling it on Craigs for cash, then buy ASEs at the LCS with the $. Garage is organized enough to actually fit vehicles again, and my stack has benefitted for sure :thumbup: .

I continue to add to my Ag shiny stash..... ASEs, Silver Rounds and 90%....depending on what I feel like getting that day. Other trips to my LCS, I will get Canadian Ni Nickels and the coppers if I see them.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby storm drifter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:36 am

I usually save the penny sorting for the long cold winter days. Kind of hard to get large quantity at one time, the local bank really frowns upon it. I usually get about $10 or so a week and just save them till the snow flies.

SD
storm drifter

Postby scyther » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:42 am

I haven't sorted copper in almost a year... I still have everything I got back then, and I still keep what I get in change, but that's all. Maybe I'll do a bag soon... or not. I still sort dime bags when they have them, but that's $500 every other week at best. I haven't done nickels since December. My bank cut me off of boxes in March. I haven't bought silver in a little over a year. I have 27 posts in the last 5 months. The good old days of coin sorting are over for now, it seems...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:28 pm

scyther wrote:I haven't sorted copper in almost a year... I still have everything I got back then, and I still keep what I get in change, but that's all. Maybe I'll do a bag soon... or not. I still sort dime bags when they have them, but that's $500 every other week at best. I haven't done nickels since December. My bank cut me off of boxes in March. I haven't bought silver in a little over a year. I have 27 posts in the last 5 months. The good old days of coin sorting are over for now, it seems...

I feel the same way. The bank didn't cut me off, but I was just sick of doing all that work for 10-15% copper/box. Searching and running the Ryedale is fun, but dumping all those zincs was getting very tiresome and annoying.

The more years that pass, billions of zincs are added. Coppers are being seriously diluted as well as being culled.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 am

At least you can still buy pennies guys... Sort while you can because the US penny will go the way of the Canadian penny soon.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby MUTiger » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:49 pm

I still do my normal pick up of a bag or two per week but have not had time to run through the Ryedale. I think last I counted I have about $2,500 - $3,000 in bags and buckets (school penny wars) waiting to be run through the machine. I have been too busy with remodeling projects. Maybe this winter.

MUTiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing