Recyclers try to defraud US Mint with counterfeit coins

Re: Recyclers try to defraud US Mint with counterfeit coins

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:47 pm

knibloe wrote:One last comment, I'm guessing that most of the coins are perfectly fine. It is just easier and cheaper to turn them in under the mutilated coin program than it is to count them and put them back into circulation.

This is actually not the case. They make separate good machine countable coin shipments as well. The coins generally range from very mutilated to only slightly mutilated, but the good machine countable comes get sent it separately.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby knibloe » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:01 am

highroller4321 wrote:
knibloe wrote:One last comment, I'm guessing that most of the coins are perfectly fine. It is just easier and cheaper to turn them in under the mutilated coin program than it is to count them and put them back into circulation.

This is actually not the case. They make separate good machine countable coin shipments as well. The coins generally range from very mutilated to only slightly mutilated, but the good machine countable comes get sent it separately.

Thanks for the feedback.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:30 pm

7/25/16

The Justice Department has quietly settled a lawsuit seeking millions of dollars from companies the agency had accused of importing counterfeit U.S. coins from China and fooling the U.S. Mint into paying nearly full value for them.

A federal district judge in Philadelphia dismissed the case in a July 21 order that said the parties in the case, America Naha Inc. and Wealthy Max Ltd., had reached an agreement with the agency.

Click for more.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:18 pm

natsb88 wrote:

7/25/16

The Justice Department has quietly settled a lawsuit seeking millions of dollars from companies the agency had accused of importing counterfeit U.S. coins from China and fooling the U.S. Mint into paying nearly full value for them.

A federal district judge in Philadelphia dismissed the case in a July 21 order that said the parties in the case, America Naha Inc. and Wealthy Max Ltd., had reached an agreement with the agency.

Click for more.

Truth finally comes out!!!!!!

All the cases aren't over yet though.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:28 am

hobo finds

Postby wolvesdad » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:52 am

Cool read. Aluminum huh? They needed more aluminum and so they hand sorted our zorba(I missed it, is that car trash?)
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:58 am

yep what is left after the shredder, plastic, foam, fabric and some metal. I think they sort thru the fluff and remove all the metal.
hobo finds

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:57 pm

hobo finds wrote:yep what is left after the shredder, plastic, foam, fabric and some metal. I think they sort thru the fluff and remove all the metal.

They crush the material and then have different methods of pulling out all of the different metals. Steel, Aluminum, plastic, ect all get pulled and separated so they can be recycled. As part of this system they also come across a lot of coins that have been left in the cars or other material. These coins get pulled and then separated by country. Once separated they get sold to wholesalers, who through a system of channels and people, return the coins to the country of origin to be redeemed or recycled.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:24 pm

This article mentions the Portland Mint!! http://www.recyclinginternational.com/r ... unked-cars
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:56 am

US Mint damaged coin redemption program coming back! http://www.scrapmonster.com/news/us-min ... am/1/66117 The U.S. Mint announced its intention to resume the mutilated coin redemption program after a three year suspension following concerns of fraud.
hobo finds

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:49 pm

hobo finds wrote:US Mint damaged coin redemption program coming back! http://www.scrapmonster.com/news/us-min ... am/1/66117 The U.S. Mint announced its intention to resume the mutilated coin redemption program after a three year suspension following concerns of fraud.

My comments are the article:

#1: ISRI did very little in helping with anything. They spoke with senators but got nowhere. The program possible reopening had nothing to do with them.

#2: The only updated rates are very pennies and ONLY if you separate out the copper first. The mint has never accepted fused coins.

#3: The new rules suggest nothing about getting law enforcement involved. There never was an issue in the first place. :roll:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:29 pm

hobo finds wrote:This article mentions the Portland Mint!! http://www.recyclinginternational.com/r ... unked-cars

There is something odd about this article that I am questioning...

The photo in this article shows a person's hand full of mutilated coins which supposedly came from one or more cars that were being junked. Yet I don't see a single coin in decent shape in his hand. I would think that some coins that have been sitting in cars (even for years) would still look ok.

So do you think they were purposely hand-picking the ugly ones or was this supposed to be representative of a typical sample of coins pulled from cars near the ends of their lives?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
hobo finds wrote:This article mentions the Portland Mint!! http://www.recyclinginternational.com/r ... unked-cars

There is something odd about this article that I am questioning...

The photo in this article shows a person's hand full of mutilated coins which supposedly came from one or more cars that were being junked. Yet I don't see a single coin in decent shape in his hand. I would think that some coins that have been sitting in cars (even for years) would still look ok.

So do you think they were purposely hand-picking the ugly ones or was this supposed to be representative of a typical sample of coins pulled from cars near the ends of their lives?

The picture is a random picture and not related to the article. :roll:

The cars going through a scrap recycling process that chops up the cars. The coins are usually bent/damaged during this process! A few coins sneak by undamaged.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 am

Gotcha- thx.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 am

I find it amazing that they can even separate out these coins by country. The car shredders here in the United States are they able to sort out this coin? Or is the coin shipped out overseas in the fluff of what's left over from a shredded car that we can not process here?
hobo finds

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:02 pm

How does every scrap car sent to china contain $900 in mutilated coins and no mutilated coins are found in scrap cars sent to india? Why did the mint need to ramp up their melt program? http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/0 ... f_54m.html
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:11 pm

JadeDragon wrote:How does every scrap car sent to china contain $900 in mutilated coins and no mutilated coins are found in scrap cars sent to india? Why did the mint need to ramp up their melt program? http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/0 ... f_54m.html

More false and misleading information and extremely poorly written article that is missing over 75% of the facts that are needed.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:59 pm

Looks like the program is back! http://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/u ... ification/

https://www.usmint.gov/news/consumer-al ... in-program

Looks like you have to jump thru some hoops to get this done, especially if you are a business...
hobo finds

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm

hobo finds wrote:Looks like the program is back! http://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/u ... ification/

Looks like you have to jump thru some hoops to get this done, especially if you are a business...

After 3.5 years of waiting they really didn't make any changes at all. :roll:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:22 pm

knibloe wrote:
beauanderos wrote:they don't have some way of testing them when received from the guys who are sending them? High dollar comparitors?

It wouldn't matter. Lets say I make a "dime" that has the exact same composition. Then I mutilate it beyond good recognition. I could make 88% profit margin because it only costs $.012 to make a "dime".

If you can get 10 cents for a counterfeit (same composition as a normal coin) dime that costs you 1.2 cents to make, your profit is a whopping 733%, not 88%. 100 divided by 12 and then subtract the basis of 1.

Recyclersteve

Postby knibloe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
knibloe wrote:
beauanderos wrote:they don't have some way of testing them when received from the guys who are sending them? High dollar comparitors?

It wouldn't matter. Lets say I make a "dime" that has the exact same composition. Then I mutilate it beyond good recognition. I could make 88% profit margin because it only costs $.012 to make a "dime".

If you can get 10 cents for a counterfeit (same composition as a normal coin) dime that costs you 1.2 cents to make, your profit is a whopping 733%, not 88%. 100 divided by 12 and then subtract the basis of 1.

I didn't say the "profit" was 88%. I said that the "profit margin" was 88%. Please see below.

Profit Margin:
A measure of how well a company controls its costs. It is calculated by dividing a company's profit by its revenues and expressing the result as a percentage. The higher the profit margin is, the better the company is thought to control costs. Investors use the profit margin to compare companies in the same industry and well as between industries to determine which are the most profitable. Farlex Financial Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All Rights Reserved

If the fake dime costs sells for a $.10 than revenue is $.10 It it costs $0.12 to make, the profit is $0.88. .088 (profit) divided by Revenue $.10 = 88% profit margin!!
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
knibloe wrote:

You have to factor in the labor to make the correct alloy, labor and cost to press into a dime shape, labor and cost to press to make like a dime, labor and cost to then mutilated, labor and cost to transport to the foundry, ect

It simply is not economical....hence why there aren't any counterfeit mutilated coins.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby hobo finds » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 am

I can not find there buy back rates for these coins?
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:45 pm

hobo finds wrote:I can not find there buy back rates for these coins?

Hey Hobo:

Check out the posting by AGgressive Metal titled Commonwealth C&C Buy List that was posted on 1/11/18 and is updated periodically. That should have very detailed info. You might want to bookmark that thread because it can be tough to find when the prices haven't been updated recently.

Recyclersteve

Postby hobo finds » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Looks like you now have to sort coins by type. Cents, Nickles, Dimes, Quarters & Half Dollars. Also separate Dollar coins by type.

And program on hold again.
hobo finds

Previous

Return to Counterfeit Detection & Discussion