KSA Discussion Thread

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST TEN POSTS IN OTHER FORUMS BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO POST HERE.

Auctions start the second Friday of every month and end the following Monday at 10 PM Eastern. Please see the "Rules" thread for more information.

All transactions are AT YOUR OWN RISK. Transactions are considered to be private matters between the parties involved and do not involve http://realcent.org or its admins and moderators.

Re: KSA Discussion Thread

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 07, 2014 5:29 pm

uthminsta wrote:Oops. That's the before picture. I will have the "after" picture up on the auction page itself. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Now I gotta figure out what starting price to put on it, and what else to list!!! I don't think I can do 100 auctions like Rob, but I have a few more ideas up my short sleeve.

The way I see it, the more items I post, the more chances everybody will win something.

Lots of single coins geared for the small time investor/collector.
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 07, 2014 5:29 pm

uthminsta wrote:Oops. That's the before picture. I will have the "after" picture up on the auction page itself. Thanks for the vote of confidence! Now I gotta figure out what starting price to put on it, and what else to list!!! I don't think I can do 100 auctions like Rob, but I have a few more ideas up my short sleeve.

The way I see it, the more items I post, the more chances everybody will win something.

Lots of single coins geared for the small time investor/collector.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby fb101 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Next month were calling it the TheJonasCollegeFund monthly fundraiser :-D
fb101

Postby uthminsta » Tue May 20, 2014 8:23 pm

Some possibilities for next month
- a few more notes?
- a silver Washington quarters collection in a Dansco 1932-1998 book?
- a British collection, maybe 100+ different coins?
- a Mexican collection, maybe 100+ different coins?
- another necklace for charity?
- some Australian sterling coins?
- Obama stickers?
- about 50 mint set ENVELOPES?
- a bunch of nickel, quarter and dollar collection inserts like these?

CAST A VOTE! Would you like to see one or two of these show up?
uthminsta

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed May 21, 2014 5:29 pm

fb101 wrote:Next month were calling it the TheJonasCollegeFund monthly fundraiser :-D

As of now, I may be out of town that week.

So, you guys are on your own.
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby uthminsta » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:10 pm

uthminsta wrote:Some possibilities for next month
- a few more notes?
- a silver Washington quarters collection in a Dansco 1932-1998 book?
- a British collection, maybe 100+ different coins?
- a Mexican collection, maybe 100+ different coins?
- another necklace for charity?
- some Australian sterling coins?
- Obama stickers?
- about 50 mint set ENVELOPES?
- a bunch of nickel, quarter and dollar collection inserts like these?
CAST A VOTE! Would you like to see one or two of these show up?

It's almost here... anyone interested?
uthminsta

Postby doug » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:55 am

I am always up for the silver.

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justoneguy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:21 pm

uthminsta wrote:- Obama stickers?

Do these tell the obamanation WHERE to stick it??
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:35 pm

uthminsta wrote:- Obama stickers?
justoneguy wrote:Do these tell the obamanation WHERE to stick it??
No, actually they are PRObama. Yeah, sooooo... :roll:
uthminsta

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:37 pm

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:As of now, I may be out of town that week. So, you guys are on your own.

Umm, if we don't have the volume we had last month, can we please spread the end-times back out to 5 minute intervals?
Rob, are you listing stuff this month, or are you out of the loop for now?
uthminsta

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:01 pm

uthminsta wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:As of now, I may be out of town that week. So, you guys are on your own.

Umm, if we don't have the volume we had last month, can we please spread the end-times back out to 5 minute intervals?
Rob, are you listing stuff this month, or are you out of the loop for now?

My camera broke......no kidding. ....I have a few more......not like the last 2 months......sorry!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:52 am

Only 22 listings this month, 8 of which were mine. I sure hope that's enough to lure people to the site tonight for some bids!!!
uthminsta

Postby silverhead » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:24 pm

uthminsta wrote:Only 22 listings this month, 8 of which were mine. I sure hope that's enough to lure people to the site tonight for some bids!!!

Yeah, pretty slim pickings :lol: I tried adding some items today without reading the "rules", hopefully they get added.
silverhead
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: MAY KSA stuff

Postby ihavecoins » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:15 pm

uthminsta wrote:Agreed. And I think it should be HARD to be a sniper.

Yea. Im done. Nobody bids against me all night and a sniper take the win with a second left. Thats pretty ^&*()_ up. I dont have a chance to reply with hoarse manure like that. Other forums have anti sniping rules. How about the auction has an end time and it ends with no activity for 5 minutes past the last bid. that would give bidders a chance to not get sniped.
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:23 pm

ihavecoins wrote:How about the auction has an end time and it ends with no activity for 5 minutes past the last bid. that would give bidders a chance to not get sniped.

We have those too. They're called rolling stop auctions.

I'm sorry you're so upset. I was pretty upset too, when half of my auctions didn't even get a bid. But hey, it is what it is, you know? The rules are clearly stated, and there's even a link to them at the top of the page during the duration of the auction. Sorry if this offends you - really. But I just wanted to make sure it was clear.
uthminsta

Postby ihavecoins » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:37 pm

That's probably the last time Ill bid in an auction. I think I'm done unless the rules change. The items would get bid up higher if there was more bidding back and forth.

I really am pissed off about loosing. The rules are clear and its legal. I would say not ethical. The people that do that should get warned because they drag down the community. Pretty soon you wont have anyone bidding.

uthminsta wrote:
ihavecoins wrote:How about the auction has an end time and it ends with no activity for 5 minutes past the last bid. that would give bidders a chance to not get sniped.

We have those too. They're called rolling stop auctions.

I'm sorry you're so upset. I was pretty upset too, when half of my auctions didn't even get a bid. But hey, it is what it is, you know? The rules are clearly stated, and there's even a link to them at the top of the page during the duration of the auction. Sorry if this offends you - really. But I just wanted to make sure it was clear.
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:28 am

Sniping has been a part of the KSAs since they started like two years ago. I have won a few and lost many that way. The same can be said for the KSAs over on Bullionstacker, and for that matter, eBay auctions. There's nothing unethical about somebody outbidding you at the last second in an online auction. That's how they work. Blaming the winning bidder for playing the game is just being a sore loser. Now if they outbid you by a penny I can understand being annoyed, but a bid is a bid. I didn't have time to list or bid on anything this month so I don't even know which auction you are referring to.

Members are free to list rolling stop auctions in the general auction forum any time. But rolling stops would make the KSAs completely chaotic. There are too many auctions ending too close together to use rolling stops. This month was very sparse, as typically happens in the summer, but go back a couple months and we had 150+ listings in the KSAs. It would be a nightmare for buyers when rolling stop auctions start overlapping with the next time slot and now you are trying to keep track of 10 auctions at the same time.
natsb88

Postby kiwiman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Sniping in this situation doesn't seem fair. It makes sense of ebay but not here. On ebay I can bid $50 on an item knowing that I will only pay that much if someone else wants it for $49. Although I could get it for $25 when I was willing to pay $50. Here on Realcent your bid is public and if you're the high bidder you cannot win the item for any less even if no one is close to your high bid. This causes the best option to be bidding in small increments against each other. But that doesn't work when someone else doesn't bid on an item until literally the last second and gets it for a dollar more than you.
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 pm

Yeah, sniping isn't the issue. Its part of the process, fair and square. The bigger issue to me is that KSA seems to have lost its luster and there just isn't any activity any more. I am just as guilty as the next person because I haven't been that active in the past several months. I listed something this month and I'm really glad no one bid because the bidder would have had no competition and gotten a great deal because I started the auction a fair bit lower than what I wanted to get. Dodged that bullet! If I list anything again, I'll be starting with a higher starting bid until the KSA activity picks up. Unfortunately, that takes some of the fun out of it for bidders, but I'm not gonna chance selling something under market price again.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:02 pm

I will only auction my stuff rolling stop or on the mini-chat where I gavel at the time of my choosing.
I kinda agree that the hard stop is a tough way to go for everyone.

Kiwiman's post is about right.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:18 pm

If you really want something snipe it yourself or put in a high early bid. I got busy and missed the ending times or I probably would have put in some snipes myself.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:19 pm

The bigger issue is copper and Ni are down and so is silver. So this site just has less activity. Also summer is here.

We don't have software to run ebay style auctions, nor ebay fees!
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rosco » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 pm

The Snipers got me several time but more often I quit at my limit. This is not life or death but a chance to buy from stackers an most stack more than I :wave:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby kiwiman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 am

inflationhawk, if you-re talking about the ryedale auction for $175 then I ALMOST bid on that. I can't believe no one did. I wouldn't have wanted to take it from you for 175 though if you were expecting more (and rightfully so)
You could be sorting right now.
kiwiman
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:21 am

I have a few item ideas. I'll see you guys tonight.

Got too few bids last time. But I don't intend to let the KSA idea fade any further. Who's with me? Who else will step up and offer some fun stuff to get some action around here?
uthminsta

PreviousNext

Return to Monthly Kitchen Sink Auctions