Buy it Now Guidelines

IMPORTANT: YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST TEN POSTS IN OTHER FORUMS BEFORE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO POST HERE.

A place for established members to offer Realcent subject related items for sale at a FIRM (buy it now) price. All transactions here are NOT open to bids or counter-offers. Seller are free to decide to accept or reject any offer regardless of order based on any criteria (including comfort level) they choose.

As with all such transactions at realcent: DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. All such transactions here at Realcent are private matters and do not involve Realcent.org, its management or moderators.

Posts with no activity for 21 days will be deleted automatically.

Buy it Now Guidelines

Postby TXBullion » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:34 pm

To make this an easy and enjoyable experience for the buyers and sellers on this forum, the following guidelines will assist you to help everyone else.

SELLERS:
- A minimum of 10 posts is required before listing items for sale or auction here.
- Clearly state what is for sale, pictures help
- State your desired price for each item listed. If the price is firm, then say so.
- State whether shipping is included in the price, or separate from price.
- Shipping insurance information is important. List whether it is included, or if there is an additional cost.
- If you do not wish to ship to certain countries, then list them. (nearly all members here are from the USA and Canada)
- State the acceptable payment method(s) and any banking delays for checks to clear before shipment.
- State whether there is a return policy, or not.
- If you do not have much feedback yet, then list some trade references or be prepared to ship to established members before getting paid
- Change the thread title by adding *SOLD* but keep the description within the posts.
- Please do not start other threads in other areas on RC to drive traffic to your sale. (signature line links are ok)
- Threads without activity for 21 days will automatically disappear

BUYERS:
- Ask all questions as a reply to the topic, or send a private message (You must have 10 posts to use the Private Message System)
- If you want the item as per the listing, immediately send an offer to the Seller by PM and, if you wish, post to the topic and say you want to buy
- Immediately send all of your shipping information to the seller via PM and advise how you will pay.
- Remember, there is no deal unless the Seller accepts the Buyers offer (on Buy it Now).

General guidelines:

1. Realcent only hosts the market, we do not regulate it in any meaningful way or get involved in transactions. All transactions are private contracts between the parties. We only articulate guidelines developed by our membership as necessary to keep basic order.
2. Realcent thrives because we host a free market that is free of both unnecessary restrictions and fees.
3. As a community we welcome innovation. After all as copper penny collectors we are not what most consider "mainstream".
4. Members should avoid posts that disrupt other people's marketing efforts.
5. Your evaluation of another member's transaction feedback, general reputation on the forum, and your self imposed safeguards are the primary tools to govern your own market activity.

*** If you are referred to this message, then you most likely have made a post that is unclear to some members. It is a learning experience, and we're all sure that you mean the best. And whomever referred you here means the best for you. Thanks for being a contributing member of the greatest forum for bullion coins and metals investing. Just remember that we're all in the same boat here, so be a good viking, and try to row in sync.
Last edited by JadeDragon on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 am, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: made sticky
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Buy it Now Guidelines

Postby centurion » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:13 pm

As this forum expands and new members join in, there are bound to be a few bad seeds to infiltrate the long established sanctity of our well-behaved members that use the Market Area. Please keep on alert for new members and take necessary precautions when dealing with someone who does not have an established transaction history. And even in those cases, you can still find yourself at the end of a dirty stick. The forum membership is a self-policing entity. It is each of ours' responsibility to give proper feedback and to handle our own business in accordance with prudent risk tolerances. Everything that transpires here is your responsibility and only yours.
centurion
Realcent Moderator

Postby Elcid69 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 pm

From the guide line rules, I thought once you posted you could either edit or change the thread title to "Sold" and had to keep the description. Can you totally remove it, if you want to, as if it was never there??
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:47 am

Elcid69 wrote:From the guide line rules, I thought once you posted you could either edit or change the thread title to "Sold" and had to keep the description. Can you totally remove it, if you want to, as if it was never there??

We much prefer you just add SOLD to the title and not remove the title or description. It keeps everyone honest (buyer can compare description to what arrives) and others can see that the listing sold and not waste time looking for it again.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:33 pm

I'd like to propose to The Powers That Be that we establish a guideline that you cannot sell "options" or "derivatives" on this site. I think we've all seen the results of the use of options by the marketplace at large and I for one would prefer we not enter that realm here. I really enjoy the Realcent marketplace as it is and do not think we should allow the sale of derivatives. I think here more than anywhere else on the internet we prefer hard assets as opposed to paper promises.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:50 am

They are not paper promises, I have the silver in hand, these are not derivatives. Saying that they are paper promises is no different than saying everyone on here is simply selling a picture of what they say they have. If you don't like something no one is forcing you to buy it...

I am making it possible for a low price for others to have access to unlimited upside, with a known downside.

If you don't like the model don't buy into it. But, in reality this is no different the selling $100 FV in copper pennies for $150 with the implied hope that one day the purchaser will be able to sell it for more...

New things are scary, but they shouldn't be band if they have not been shown to be harmful.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:31 am

We can let the Realcent admins make the decision. I have a request that we not allow options to be bought/sold on this site. The matter is closed in my opinion once a decision is made.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:36 am

I agree, the members in the market will choose, as it should always be in free markets. Sorry this had such an impact on you emotionally.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:50 am

My interpretation of the current consensus among the volunteer management team is that:

1. Realcent only hosts the market, we do not regulate it in any meaningful way or get involved in transactions. All transactions are private contracts between the parties. We only articulate guidelines developed by our membership as necessary to keep basic order.
2. Realcent thrives because we host a free market that is free of both unnecessary restrictions and fees.
3. As a community we welcome innovation. After all as copper penny collectors we are not what most consider "mainstream".
4. Members should avoid posts that disrupt other people's marketing efforts.
5. Your evaluation of another member's transaction feedback, general reputation on the forum, and your self imposed safeguards are the primary tools to govern your own market activity.

Carry on :)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheba » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Please forgive my ignorance ... I just completed a sale for the first time and had an absolutely wonderful experience. I want to leave great feedback for the seller, can't figure out how to do it. Can someone walk me through leaving feedback (for highroller4321). This is my first experience and it was absolutely great! I couldn't be happier! Thanks for instructions on leaving feedback.
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby Verbane » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Sheba wrote:Please forgive my ignorance ... I just completed a sale for the first time and had an absolutely wonderful experience. I want to leave great feedback for the seller, can't figure out how to do it. Can someone walk me through leaving feedback (for highroller4321). This is my first experience and it was absolutely great! I couldn't be happier! Thanks for instructions on leaving feedback.

The Feedback system is explained in this post:
http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11194

PM if you have additional questions!
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:18 am

Is it ok to list 'wanted to buy' items? If not, would it be an option to have a forum with those items? Thanks!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 am

Catfish4u wrote:Is it ok to list 'wanted to buy' items? If not, would it be an option to have a forum with those items? Thanks!

Want to Buy can be posted here
http://www.realcent.org/viewforum.php?f=30
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:23 am

I just updated the guidelines a little.

The biggest change is the line that says Remember there is no deal until the Seller accepts the Buyers offer. This issue seems to be the main source of friction in the market. This is not a new policy, just stating it in the guidelines clearly.

Also noted to make an offer you should immediately PM the Seller and that posting to the thread is optional. This is the actual practice by most members here.

I also clarified how to mark threads sold and improved other wording a little.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby gmcoin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:57 pm

The guideline requires 10 posts in order to use NEW TOPICS.
Is what I am doing now considered a post ?
Can I get around this if I have references from another board (PCGS) or Heritage auctions ?
gmcoin
Penny Collector Member

Postby gmcoin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:01 pm

The guidelines say I can NOT use the private messaging until I have 10 posts.
The system has been letting me send private message or so I think.
I am wondering if I am sending messages but they are not being delivered because I have less then 10 posts ?
gmcoin
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 am

I believe that the 10 posts rule for Private Messages may be set up in the backend to control SPAM. You are at 10 post now (just under your name) so you are good to go. Welcome to the forum.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby rawteam1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:53 pm

I recommend that no one pay for insurance if you are a buyer,
it is always the sellers responsibility to get the product to the buyer, always ...
rawteam1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby pitw » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:21 pm

rawteam1 wrote:I recommend that no one pay for insurance if you are a buyer,
it is always the sellers responsibility to get the product to the buyer, always ...

I disagree. It is my job as a seller to get the package to the post office or other shipping company in good shape. After that it is outta my hands.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rawteam1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:36 pm

pitw wrote:

I disagree. It is my job as a seller to get the package to the post office or other shipping company in good shape. After that it is outta my hands.

That's why no one should ever do business with anyone like that, refusal to accept responsibility,
I wonder if that's how every successful business runs, Amazon, any bullion company, in fact any company that sells anything, lol
rawteam1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Not true at all. That is an eBay rule. Anywhere else in a peer-to-peer transaction, the terms are whatever both parties agree to. Clear terms and communication are key. If the seller says "insurance optional and extra," then it's pretty clearly the buyer's choice and the buyer's risk. If a seller offers a price "delivered" with no other explanation, then yes I would agree that the seller is responsible. Most sellers here are not large corporations with blanket insurance policies, or a business of any type. So make sure both parties are on the same page at the beginning of the transaction. Don't make assumptions and don't wait until something goes wrong to figure it out.

Regular insurance doesn't cover coins or bullion anyway. Only Registered Mail covers these items, and adds a minimum of $12 (and 1-2 weeks) to the shipping cost (time).
natsb88

Postby rawteam1 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:05 pm

That's why I posted this, don't get suckered into a law someone else created to absolve themselves from a responsibility that is the sellers and is recognized by all legal business's,

Yes, a seller can try to make their own agreement, buyer just don't fall for it

Whether it's an eBay rule or not, I don't know, but it's immaterial ...

Simply if it's my responsibility to get payment to seller, it's sellers responsibility to get product to me...
rawteam1
Penny Sorter Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

rawteam1 wrote:That's why I posted this, don't get suckered into a law someone else created to absolve themselves from a responsibility that is the sellers and is recognized by all legal business's,

Huh? That sentence doesn't make any sense. Individuals do not make their own laws, an eBay rule is not a law, and most sellers on sites like this are not businesses. The responsibility for shipping loss is determined by the terms of the transaction, which both parties agree to by proceeding with the transaction. If you don't like the terms, don't buy. Many businesses offer protection against carrier damage or loss in their terms of sale, and use carrier or private insurance to cover such events. But they can also offer insurance and limit or eliminate their liability if the buyer declines the option. I know businesses big and small that operate this way and it's perfectly legal. Individuals can do it too.

Sounds like you bought something, made an assumption about delivery, it got lost in the mail, and due to a lack of clear terms up front, there is a dispute about who is responsible for the loss. Am I close?
natsb88

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:23 pm

General guideline #5 seems to have been overlooked by you prior to making this post. "Always" "never" are used when you are taking a stand... making a point... assuming you are right on an issue. However, we here at realcent.org don't transact under the same assumptions as each other, therefore terms of a transaction are prescribed and the fulfillment of accepted terms is used to determine satisfaction of each participant.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to Buy It Now