Request for a blog

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

Blog ?

I want it yesterday
No votes
Yes
20%
Maybe in the future
20%
No
40%
No way, too many option or place to read will make it harder to follow
20%
Others (Plz comments)
No votes

Total votes : 5

Request for a blog

Postby didou » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm

I know i ask for a lot of work from the administrator but i think it may become necessary.

I would like to have enough time to read all the post on the forums, because i like this community, it's full of smart and fun people and i enjoy reading it a lot. The sad thing is we all have time constraint and as this forum growing larger it will become harder and harder to read it all and possibly missing some major information.

A blog would fix this (future?) problem. I could subscribe to the blog to receive it by email and all major news could be posted there. That way if i don't have time to read the forum, i check my mail and don't miss time-critical/major even.

The way it could be done is by selecting 2-3 active reliable person on each topic (cooper, nickels, silver, gold, canadian, ...) These 2-3 people for each topic will have authorize access to the blog and can write on it. As soon as they see a major news, they write it on the blog. The need for 2-3 person is whoever is online at the time, redundancy and time zone constraint.

So ya or na ?

edit:fixed typo
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Re: Request for a blog

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:27 am

I think it might be possible to subscribe to forums here. I saw something about that. I personally no longer read everything here but use the filters to see what is new and scan subjects for topics I want to read. Now go back to thinking I see absolutely everything that is typed here :0
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:48 am

We have a section for people to link to their blog or articles, plus an external links section, plus you can put links in your profile signature and profile. I'd say it would just cause consternation to have an "official" blog because who would be the editor? We have a leadership team, but we work more like a council than a top-down organization.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby natsb88 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:20 pm

If you want to get updates on a particular thread, you can check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box when you post.

I think a blog would cause tension, as it would become the "official voice" of Realcent, but there are many topics where members have different views.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby didou » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

I'd say it would just cause consternation to have an "official" blog because who would be the editor?

There will be no editor, only administrator and moderator that can promote (like sticky) a post that they considered important and 'send' it to the blog.

If you want to get updates on a particular thread, you can check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box when you post.

I love this function but unfortunately it does not allow me to subscribe to post who aren't posted yet nor does it filter them to show me only the important even as the blog would do.

I think a blog would cause tension, as it would become the "official voice" of Realcent, but there are many topics where members have different views.

I enjoy having different view from a subject and i don't want to destroy that in any way. But if silver break $25/ounce or Australia left the melting ban on cooper coins isn't a opinion it's a news and i wish to be aware of it quickly even if i don't have time to read the whole forum for a week. Most of these news that interest me aren't available on mass media only here.

I'm more interested in some sort of human filtering and promotion of great, news and big even to a blog. Some sort of sticky, that won't remove the precious comments and various opinions on them. Just a way to receive all the sticky in my mail box when they become sticky. That way i don't loose anything important or time-related.

Thanks for the one who vote and for the comments :)
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:31 pm

In my opinion, it might not hurt to take a breath and make sure the conversion continues smoothly from the old site to the new before launching into more new things...
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts