Brief Board Closings - Improvements & New Features

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

Brief Board Closings - Improvements & New Features

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm

The forums may be closed or unavailable for short periods (hopefully no more than 10 minutes at a time) over the next few days as I do some maintenance and add some new features.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Re: Brief Board Closings

Postby henrysmedford » Fri May 17, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks for keeping this a great place.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm

The result of this first little outage can currently be seen at the top of any page. In the past a significant number of members have noted or complained about missing announcements that were posted through the normal forum software (like this thread, which is actually a "global announcement"). Now anything of significance can be posted in the announcement box, which is pretty hard to miss. When there are no active announcements, the box will disappear, so as not to be obtrusive.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby shinnosuke » Fri May 17, 2013 11:34 pm

Cool. Thanks for being the right kind of TPTB.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Sat May 18, 2013 12:26 am

Carry on Brother
You do Very Well by US

Peace
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat May 18, 2013 4:40 am

Thanks for the updates!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 am

Realcent is my favorite web site. Thank you
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapman1077 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:06 pm

It's to brite !!!
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cecropia_moth » Sat May 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Well I wish I was more active here and I really should be. But this is still one of the greatest spots on the 'net. Thanks TPTB.

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Sun May 19, 2013 11:25 am

The only Global announcement I care about are the ones Obama makes.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Just implemented another minor enhancement. If you subscribe to a thread so you get "Topic Reply" email notifications when somebody makes a new post, those emails now include the content of the post, and "New Private Message" emails now include the content of the private message.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Re: Brief Board Closings - Improvements & New Features

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Mon May 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Check out the new chat feature at the bottom of the index page or by clicking the "Mini-Chat" link in the upper right corner of this page. The chat feature is available to all registered members with more than 10 posts. Remember that anybody (with more than 10 posts) can read what you write, just like posting in the forum, so do not use the chat feature for sending personal information.

NOTE: If you see a blue background instead of a white background in the chat window, please clear your broswer's cache and reload the page. The chat is much easier to read with the white background.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby RichardPenny43 » Tue May 21, 2013 1:15 am

:thumbup:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm

ThePowersThatBe wrote:Check out the new chat feature at the bottom of the index page or by clicking the "Mini-Chat" link in the upper right corner of this page. The chat feature is available to all registered members with more than 10 posts. Remember that anybody (with more than 10 posts) can read what you write, just like posting in the forum, so do not use the chat feature for sending personal information.

NOTE: If you see a blue background instead of a white background in the chat window, please clear your broswer's cache and reload the page. The chat is much easier to read with the white background.

I know I'm weird, but I kind of liked the privacy of PM email notifications not including the body of the message. It seemed less likely to me that Google or Yahoo would be scanning the content of PM's on the site. But, I am somewhat sure that my emails are scanned.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:
ThePowersThatBe wrote:Check out the new chat feature at the bottom of the index page or by clicking the "Mini-Chat" link in the upper right corner of this page. The chat feature is available to all registered members with more than 10 posts. Remember that anybody (with more than 10 posts) can read what you write, just like posting in the forum, so do not use the chat feature for sending personal information.

I know I'm weird, but I kind of liked the privacy of PM email notifications not including the body of the message. It seemed less likely to me that Google or Yahoo would be scanning the content of PM's on the site. But, I am somewhat sure that my emails are scanned.

If you visit the board regularly you can turn off email notifications and turn on "pop-up" notifications instead (a message will pop up the next time you load a Realcent page to tell you there is a new PM). I don't recommend this unless you visit the forum at least once a day, otherwise there could be a delay in discovering that you have a new message.

User Control Panel -> Board Preferences
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Fri May 31, 2013 8:51 pm

Like the email notifications TPTB, just have to reconcile myself to the new features. I think you guys do a bang up job here. Love this place.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts