Realcent and open membship.

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

Realcent and open membship.

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 am

I am a member over at BullionStacker.com and they no longer have and open membership.You can still get in with a invite. I like the new members that come to this group. I have learned so much from new members and new members reinforce why I and my son loves coins. I also like how this group is self policing. I think with out new members this group will go the way of the Odd Fellows and The Improved Order of Red Men. Also a big thanks to all of Administrators and Moderators who keep this such a great place. I hope this group is always open to new members.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Realcent and open membship.

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 am

BS is only closed for a temporary time due to all the spammer attacks. That has happened her before as well.... We are lucky enough to not have had to do that in awhile.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:12 am

highroller4321 wrote:BS is only closed for a temporary time due to all the spammer attacks. That has happened her before as well.... We are lucky enough to not have had to do that in awhile.

That may be true but if you read the posts on the thread over there http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12750&p=225970&hilit=membership#p225970 it looks to me that they would be happy if it was closed for good.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 pm

We were getting hammered with 20-30+ spammer sign-ups daily as well, until I added a new layer of defense that blocks most overseas traffic from accessing Realcent. The admins over at BullionStacker do not have the level of access needed to implement that, as the site owner is not active and did not provide anybody else with access to the hosting account. So their solution for the time being is just to limit new memberships to referrals. While it does slow growth, the alternative would be spending a lot of time filtering out spammer accounts, and inevitably a few would sneak through and leave a mess for the mods to clean up. Remember that the staff there (and here) is all volunteer, nobody gets paid to deal with spammers.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts