"View New Posts" function

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

"View New Posts" function

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:59 am

I use the subject function a lot to keep up with the latest posts. I haven't sorted out the rules by which it operates, but the function periodically resets and trims off the older posts. It seems to do it by time, and when it trims it doesn't just keep the last 6 hours, or last 20 posts, it trims back a LOT. Just a few minutes ago it trimmed back to just one post, and I see this similar effect a lot. Does this function have some control parameters by which it can be set to perform this trimming operation so that there are at least x number of the most recent posts shown?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: "View New Posts" function

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:24 am

I like to use the "View unread posts" you get there by clicking on the pile of coins on the top left of the page and then clicking on the "View unread posts". From what I can tell is that it show all posts that you have not seen.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:32 am

henrysmedford wrote:I like to use the "View unread posts" you get there by clicking on the pile of coins on the top left of the page and then clicking on the "View unread posts". From what I can tell is that it show all posts that you have not seen.

Which is helpful, but results in a different set of posts. If there is a thread I'm following which I've "read" and is active, but I've not posted to, I need "view new" as it won't show up in either "view unread" or "view your"...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby natsb88 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:40 am

68Camaro wrote:I use the subject function a lot to keep up with the latest posts. I haven't sorted out the rules by which it operates, but the function periodically resets and trims off the older posts. It seems to do it by time, and when it trims it doesn't just keep the last 6 hours, or last 20 posts, it trims back a LOT. Just a few minutes ago it trimmed back to just one post, and I see this similar effect a lot. Does this function have some control parameters by which it can be set to perform this trimming operation so that there are at least x number of the most recent posts shown?

I only notice that behavior if I log out and then log back in (or close the browser and open it again). "View New Posts" is based on logins, not time. "View Active Topics" is based on time (a week I believe).
natsb88

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Interesting ... thanks. Not sure what to do with it but at least the behavior is explained.
68Camaro

Postby RTPMarine » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Would subscribing to topics/threads fit your need?
"Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were headed for shore."
RTPMarine
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts