Is anyone else having trouble with Realcent

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

Is anyone else having trouble with Realcent

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm

It's acting squirelly:

Loading slowly or not at all. Kicking me of when I jump posts.

Telling me I timed out when doing posts or PMs

My machine is old but the rest of the internet seems to be working
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Is anyone else having trouble with Realcent

Postby Country » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Me too. And I've got a fast computer. There's something wrong with the server the past couple days. I can barely access RealCent. :(
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Country wrote:Me too. And I've got a fast computer. There's something wrong with the server the past couple days. I can barely access RealCent. :(

yes.....took me 2 times to get this posted.

time to summon TPTB
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:03 pm

I notified the other Mods with an alert message. :o

Network Errors all over the place... :shock:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby fb101 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

I havent seen errors, but long waits.
time for a reboot!
fb101

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Been searching around... something fishy going on today.. My guess is that it goes beyound the service provider at this point.
I'm having cell issues, cable tv issues, etc.... might not be related but it sure seems fishy.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Looking into it...
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Any better?

I have a slow internet connection at the moment, difficult to judge the speed of the site. Firefox seems to be loading significantly faster than Internet Explorer though.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:59 pm

I had to reboot my phone. And on my work computer it came up as domain not recognized by some supposed hosting service. Makes me wonder if the site has been hacked...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Thogey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm still having problems.

When I try to post a new thread is says I'm timed out and kicks me off.

Maybe that's not a malfunction. Ha ha chortle giggle.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Me too
hobo finds

Postby hobo finds » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

If I enter stuff again then it seems ok...
hobo finds

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:02 pm

I am still working with the hosting company. They replied fairly quickly with a list of things to check, but I can't find anything on our end that would cause a sudden drop in performance like this. I replied back with the results of my "investigation" and the ball is back in their court.

To be perfectly blunt in the meantime, Internet Explorer is a terrible browser. Even ignoring the clunky esthetics, it's an extremely bloated program with very poor performance and security holes you could drive a truck through. Not as big of a truck as you could in past versions, but still a truck. Firefox isn't as streamlined as it used to be, but with the current problems it's still loading Realcent 3-4 times faster for me than Internet Explorer is. I am also getting numerous timeouts in IE, and only a couple in Firefox. If you find yourself frustrated by the forum right now, it might be a good time to take a break and download Firefox.

Google Chrome is another option. Personally I don't have much experience with it, as I'm not inclined to bring additional Google into my life, but anything is better than Internet Explorer. Apple's Safari browser is also available free for Windows.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby Engineer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:08 pm

ThePowersThatBe wrote:I am still working with the hosting company. They replied fairly quickly with a list of things to check, but I can't find anything on our end that would cause a sudden drop in performance like this. I replied back with the results of my "investigation" and the ball is back in their court.

To be perfectly blunt in the meantime, Internet Explorer is a terrible browser.....If you find yourself frustrated by the forum right now, it might be a good time to take a break and download Firefox.

I thought downloading Firefox was the primary use of Explorer. :lol:

Installing Ghostery also helps out quite a bit with a slower connection. It does a good job of keeping bandwidth-sucking ads from loading.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 am

It was fine earlier from work (sshhhh don't tell my boss), slow earlier when I got home from work, and quicker now before bed. Sounds like your nearing the threshold of capacity, getting bogged down at peak times.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:17 am

3rd try for this post.

Still having various problems at this hour.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:31 am

I'm on the Left coast in OR with Few RC users in this area :(

Using Fire Fox an still getting knocked off just trying to switch to new topic :o

Less problems after the Witching Hour ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby db23 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am

Interesting, I wonder if this has anything to do with the news articles about IPv6 going live?

I'm getting lots and lots of timeouts. Even got a Blue Host error msg mixed in there.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Induz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 am

It was slow for my yesterday and today early morning also. I tried to reply to this thread but I wasn't able to. I hope this message goes through.
Induz
Penny Sorter Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 am

Not as bad today. It was bad yesterday.

people still use IE? Are they still using AOL too?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 am

All kidding aside, despite any perceived shortcomings of IE, if a site can't display properly and in a timely manner using a modern version of IE, it's a 99.99% chance its the site or hosting service that's f-d up, not the browser.

I'm still getting sporadic hosting service 404 file not found errors from bluehost.com on both IE and my droid built-in browser.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Country » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 am

Also me. Google Chrome hangs instead of giving me the 404 Errors. The host server site is hosed. :(
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Bluehost wrote:I have been going over the server notes that your account is on. It looks like our admins over the past week have upgraded the version of cpanel that your account uses, and there have been some overall server performance issues that have been an on going investigation.

A lot of these types of investigations are done over time and through monitoring the server as deep intensive or more aggressive means require taking some services offline to do so. Instead of causing actual site downtime or interruption to services, this is the route the admins take and can be a little time consuming as they go through this. However, in all cases they do get to the bottom of it and get it resolved. I am just sorry that it is causing an inconvenience to you, and for your visitors.

If this isn't resolved by the end of Thursday, we may need to push the KSAs back a week.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby Thogey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:11 pm

Totally aggravating this evening :twisted:

I really appreciate you guys in charge who handle this stuff.

Thanks.
Thogey

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Hmmm. My replies were getting timed out yesterday. A post to another thread made it okay today. I'm going to wait a minute and see if this times out.

Worked.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts