not receiving emails alerting me to private messages

All posts by members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.org are for your edification and amusement only. It is NOT the intent of realcent.org or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.

not receiving emails alerting me to private messages

Postby uthminsta » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 am

In the past, I received emails alerting me when someone sent me a private message. This hasn't happened for the last few weeks. Did something change here? I checked all the settings I could figure out, and didn't see anything I could fix.
(And no, it's not in my email junk folder.) :)
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: not receiving emails alerting me to private messages

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:55 am

Mine is working just fine......gotta be YOU! :wave:
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Had sporadic problems myself
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:33 pm

uthminsta wrote:In the past, I received emails alerting me when someone sent me a private message. This hasn't happened for the last few weeks. Did something change here? I checked all the settings I could figure out, and didn't see anything I could fix.
(And no, it's not in my email junk folder.) :)

Are you using hotmail? Mine stopped working a few weeks ago.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby uthminsta » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:35 pm

highroller4321 wrote:Are you using hotmail? Mine stopped working a few weeks ago.

I am, but I can switch email addresses if necessary. I just don't know where to change that setting on RealCent's site.
uthminsta

Postby Copper Catcher » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:01 pm

I looked at the settings and can't see anything unusual that stuck out to me but forwarded this to ThePowersThatBe
Copper Catcher

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 am

I'm on gmail and in addition to the above my thread notifications have - by and large - also stopped coming.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby nero12345 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 am

I'm also not getting notification when a PM is in my inbox.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 am

No settings were changed.

nero12345 wrote:I'm also not getting notification when a PM is in my inbox.

You are also on Hotmail. My gut feeling is that our server somehow wound up on Hotmail's blacklist. Could have had something to do with the accidental mass PMs that were sent out to the new users group. Typically those blacklists are on something like a rolling 30-day period.

uthminsta wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:Are you using hotmail? Mine stopped working a few weeks ago.

I am, but I can switch email addresses if necessary. I just don't know where to change that setting on RealCent's site.

User Control Panel -> Profile -> Edit Account Settings

Be aware that when you change your email address, your account will require manual re-activation by me (or another admin) before you can log in again.

If somebody with a Hotmail address that is having these issues wants to change their email address to something non-Hotmail and then send me a PM, I'll send one back and you can see if you get a notification. We can post the outcome here for the benefit of others with Hotmail addresses.

68Camaro wrote:I'm on gmail and in addition to the above my thread notifications have - by and large - also stopped coming.

Odd that you would get some but not others. All indications are that the emails are going out, but some are being blocked.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Just checked the spam folder and they're being diverted there for some reason; never happened before. I can fix that (I think).
68Camaro

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:29 pm

PM sent to TPTB. Switched from Hotmail to Gmail to see if that's the problem. If that test fails, I have a Yahoo email address too...
uthminsta

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Gmail didn't work either. Switched to my Yahoo email address and testing again. TPTB, fire away!
uthminsta

Postby uthminsta » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:01 pm

FIXED! Gmail and Hotmail must currently have RealCent on their blacklist. So my Yahoo address will work to circumvent them. My private messages are now being forwarded to me... which means they are on my phone... which means I don't feel entirely out of the loop. Ahh... sweet resolution. Thanks TPTB.
uthminsta

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 pm

I think Gmail didn't work because it was being forwarded to Hotmail. Others are using Gmail and still getting emails (but they may go to the spam folder). Hotmail seems to be the issue here.
ThePowersThatBe
Realcent Admin

Postby Morsecode » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:22 pm

I have a messenger pigeon that alerts me to pm's...

(i know, that probably didn't help anyone)

:lol:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Return to Realcent.org Operations and Policy Stmts