TSHTF comes to Costco

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

TSHTF comes to Costco

Postby beauanderos » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:02 pm

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: TSHTF comes to Costco

Postby Nickelless » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:20 am

There's a similar thread or two on GIM as well. Here's one of them:

http://goldismoney2.com/showthread.php? ... ood-Supply

I think there's a dominant sentiment among the ardent preppers (including me) that while it may be easier to buy all of your food preps already freeze-dried or dehydrated, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to dehydrate your own or buy your prep items from big-box stores rather than pay out the nose on a per-serving basis. And the serving sizes and total number of servings per package on the prepackaged stuff are pretty skimpy compared to what most of us will need in a more labor-intensive environment.

One guy on GIM posted this, then I replied:

I got the 6 month supply a while back. I supplemented the purchase with a meat variety pack, and tropical fruit. I've opened the pancake mix which was good. You just add water and cook. I've also opened a can of strawberries and they were good. Those are the only food preps I've ever bought, so I have no other experience with freeze dried food to compare it to.

My reply:What's stopping you from buying more food preps or, better yet, making your own for a lot less money?

I'm trying to consolidate some of my more space-intensive items at the moment since I'm moving in a few weeks, and right now I have 16 lbs. (four 4-lb. jars) of jalapenos that had been sitting in the closet for the past year that in about 12 hours will fit into probably two quart-sized mason jars after they're finished dehydrating. Then there are a few other items:

Nickelless
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About