Antibiotics

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Antibiotics

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:53 am

As an RN, watching med after med get tossed out due to exceeding "expiration" dates, I started doing some research. If you check the Internet, you'll learn that almost ALL recommended expiration dates are more marketing techniques to get you to unnecessarily replace them, than anything else. Do your own due diligence... but the upshot is, if you have access to expired meds, take them home (with permission) and save them for your emergency supplies. They're still good for YEARS! Check out the studies the FDA performed for the Armed Services and the multiple extensions they have permitted.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/460159
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Antibiotics

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:06 am

That is correct, Meds don't necessarily "go bad" They just loose potency and effectiveness...... often Much slower than one thinks.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby abe » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm allegic to Cipro. Found out the hard way, hallucinated for 4 straight days.
If I need to escape from reality I know how to do it now.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:04 pm

I think that's right for most meds specially if they are stored in a cold, dry place.

But i think antibiotics are the only exception, they do have a real expiration date, lot quicker than others meds.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:13 pm

Self medicating with antibiotics is a huge no no. You can breed antiboitic resistant bacteria real quick if you do not dose properly. Some of these infections will kill you really fast.

Ray, have you been noticing more of this in recent years?

My wife sure has. She is amazed how common these infections are nowdays.

It seems like the hospital germs will kill you faster than the original issue you are there to have have treated.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby WizardTN » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Annnnnnnd... Do you know the "secret" to buying some antibiotics legally without a prescription?
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby narragansett » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:17 pm

I am an RPH and it is easier to get narcotics from an MD than it is to get antibiotics. As far as the expiration date goes what was said above is true. The insulin analog Lantus says to discard any unused portions after 28 days. One of my customers was using it until she ran out. I called the manufacturer about the practice & how they came up with 28 days because on day 28 you can use it but day 29 you cannot because it was no good. I was told that they did not test the potency after 28 days.
In a pharmacy the drugs usually have an exp. date of the month & year. It is legal to dispense the drug up to & including the last day of that month. Some companies will actually have a day on it, say 7/15/2011. Why not the 14th or 16th?
We are also getting a lot of drugs or at least the raw materials from India, China, Israel Etc. ( Etc is not a country. LOL).
When we would run into a shortage of a particular drug the private joke was that China had run out of one of the fillers that they put into the pill and that filler being LEAD.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:34 pm

narragansett wrote:I am an RPH and it is easier to get narcotics from an MD than it is to get antibiotics. As far as the expiration date goes what was said above is true. The insulin analog Lantus says to discard any unused portions after 28 days. One of my customers was using it until she ran out. I called the manufacturer about the practice & how they came up with 28 days because on day 28 you can use it but day 29 you cannot because it was no good. I was told that they did not test the potency after 28 days.
In a pharmacy the drugs usually have an exp. date of the month & year. It is legal to dispense the drug up to & including the last day of that month. Some companies will actually have a day on it, say 7/15/2011. Why not the 14th or 16th?
We are also getting a lot of drugs or at least the raw materials from India, China, Israel Etc. ( Etc is not a country. LOL).
When we would run into a shortage of a particular drug the private joke was that China had run out of one of the fillers that they put into the pill and that filler being LEAD.

Since you're a RPH let me ask you (and I wouldn't expect you to know this - but maybe you can find out). If push came to shove in a severe emergency, how much damage could result from human use of similar vet products, if they were available, but the human product wasn't?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 pm

68Camaro wrote:
narragansett wrote:I am an RPH and it is easier to get narcotics from an MD than it is to get antibiotics. As far as the expiration date goes what was said above is true. The insulin analog Lantus says to discard any unused portions after 28 days. One of my customers was using it until she ran out. I called the manufacturer about the practice & how they came up with 28 days because on day 28 you can use it but day 29 you cannot because it was no good. I was told that they did not test the potency after 28 days.

Since you're a RPH let me ask you (and I wouldn't expect you to know this - but maybe you can find out). If push came to shove in a severe emergency, how much damage could result from human use of similar vet products, if they were available, but the human product wasn't?

Looking for some doggy ropinirole?
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Hmmm - had no idea what that was, had to look it up, and the regular use is for Parkinson's, so if there is another street use for it, I haven't heard of it, and the reference just flew right over my head! ;)

No, my wife is going to have to start on some meds that she will not be able to be without, and I have a concern about what our options are if times get too difficult and the factories close or the distribution system shuts down. Doesn't make me feel any better that many others will also be up a creek - I'm just trying to think a bit ahead.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:07 pm

68Camaro wrote:Hmmm - had no idea what that was, had to look it up, and the regular use is for Parkinson's, so if there is another street use for it, I haven't heard of it, and the reference just flew right over my head! ;)

No, my wife is going to have to start on some meds that she will not be able to be without, and I have a concern about what our options are if times get too difficult and the factories close or the distribution system shuts down. Doesn't make me feel any better that many others will also be up a creek - I'm just trying to think a bit ahead.

It's newest use is RLS....restless leg syndrome...... for dogs........ now that’s humor.

Sorry Rich, Leave it to me to turn a good question into a joke. :oops:
Last edited by Rodebaugh on Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:It's newest use is RLS....restless leg syndrome...... for dogs........ now that’s humor.

Ha! Now that *is* funny! :lol:
68Camaro

Postby narragansett » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:50 am

I do not deal with Vet drugs in the regular day. We do use "human" meds for pets all the time. Because pets are smaller a lot of vet drugs are the same as human except in lesser strengths. Some vet drugs are the same chemical name but will have a different trade name so that you HAVE to get them from the vet. There are some pharmacies that found a little niche in vet products. These are mostly in metro areas or ranching areas.
Vet drugs may have some ingredients or lack other ingredients compared to human drugs because of the different physiology of animals vs humans. Just try drinking out of a puddle when you are thirsty.
Usually, there are alternatives when one drug is not available. The manufacturers will have some available for emergency purposes. In other cases, the finished product ( say a tablet form) may not be available but the raw material ( powder) may be and a compounding pharmacy can make it up in a capsule form.
Gosh, all of this off the top of my head on my day off even before my 1st cup of coffee. BTW, I did not wake up grumpy. She is still sleeping.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby WizardTN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:52 am

WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby narragansett » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:55 am

WIzardTN, are they for you or your fish? What kind of comment are you looking for?
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby WizardTN » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 am

NM
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:09 am

narragansett wrote: She is still sleeping.

Ooooo, you braver than me.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About