man fined for growing garden

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

man fined for growing garden

Postby alpacafarmer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:35 am

alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Re: man fined for growing garden

Postby Neckro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 am

This person sums it up

Renee Wilson says:
September 24, 2010 at 3:21 am

It’s called a zoning law, and he certainly knew what his property was zoned when he purchased it. I live in the suburbs, and I can’t go get a dozen cattle and park them in my backyard for milking just because I want to. The man had 2-acres under production, hired workers, and was selling vegetables at the farmers market. This isn’t a little grandma garden. The laws apply to everyone, and it’s rather sad to hear yet one more person failing to take responsibility for his actions and instead wanting to blame the mysterious “big government”. We vote for things like zoning laws. This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby alpacafarmer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 am

There is the law and then there is right and wrong. He had been growing a garden for over 10 years on the property and none of the neighbors complained. ( he shared his produce with them) When he was told about the zoning violation he went and had the property rezoned. He is now able to grow his garden but is still getting fined $5000. If he had a back yard full of goats and chickens he would have been fine but not the dreaded foul tomato. But you are right I do have a problem with big government as I would rather take care of myself. Land of the free and all of that.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby Neckro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:19 am

Then make sure to turn away unemployment, SSI, Social security or any other state or federal benefit If any of that ever comes up. Don't want to be supported by Big Government either.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:33 pm

I don't see where anyone gets off fining somebody for having a garden ON THEIR OWN LAND. Is it some kind of nuisance that he has tomatoes instead of rose bushes?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:10 pm

I could have been charged with a felony for some of my gardens.

Those days are over now.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:07 pm

Thogey wrote:I could have been charged with a felony for some of my gardens.

Those days are over now.

:lol:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:51 am

Neckro wrote:Then make sure to turn away unemployment, SSI, Social security or any other state or federal benefit If any of that ever comes up. Don't want to be supported by Big Government either.

Wait is that an option?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About