When You Find Something Other Than Coins, Post It Here

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

When You Find Something Other Than Coins, Post It Here

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:36 am

I thought it would be interesting to start a new thread for when we find things other than coins and currency.

If you find a tool or piece of furniture, post it here.

If you find something that appears broken and you are able to fix it, brag about it here!

This can include stuff by the side of the road if your city does brush pickups. Also, it could include something you find in a dumpster (assuming you can do that safely in your area). I’ve found ALL KINDS OF STUFF worth many thousands of dollars over the years.

Did you ever have any close calls with critters such as skunks, snakes or raccoons? Were you ever in a dumpster as a garbage truck was approaching?

Remember, we are not including coins found in rolls, Coinstar machines, etc. That topic is COVERED VERY HEAVILY elsewhere on this site.

I’ll post a partial list of what I have found sometime soon as I have company in town right now. I thought this could be an interesting thread with some very interesting war stories! Even if you have an interesting story about a friend of yours, please feel free to post it here!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: When You Find Something Other Than Coins, Post It Here

Postby thecrazyone » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:03 pm

In 1998, my grandmother passed away, and a less than respected family relative took it upon themselves to liquidate many of my grandmother's things. It was rumored that many items went to an antique store in PA.

Yesterday, my wife and I were in that store, and I noticed a portrait on the wall for sale. I have not seen the portrait since my grandmother passed away. I snapped a photo of it and sent it to my sister, but didn't hear back..

Today, my phone starts blowing up, it's my sister. She wants to know where I took the pic, and, if the portrait was for sale. I told her yes and I was already out and could pick it up today. She asked me to please get it.

It's now in my hands, and she will be getting it tomorrow. We both believe that it's about 75% probable that it came from my grandmother's house. Nothing like something back in the family in 2023 that was lost in 1998!
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:26 pm

Very interesting story!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:28 am

Interesting thread.

The only interesting thing I've come across was an autographed football at a garage sale. I didn't think it was authentic so haggled them down to $5.

The autographs were obtained at Superbowl XXV and were the starting QBs from many of the prior superbowls:

Bart Starr (I, II)
Daryle Lamoninca (II)
Earl Morrall (III)
Johnnie Unitas (V)
Craig Morton (V, XII)
Bill Kilmer (VII)
Vince Ferragamo (XIV)
Doug Williams (XXII)

I posted about it before but here is the original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=23902&p=222627&hilit=superbowl+lemon#p222627
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Here is another past find.

I love to read. Mostly nonfiction. I love used bookstores and used book sales.

A lot of libraries have support groups called the Friends of the Library, and they usually collect used books as a fundraiser for the library.

In my county, all the libraries pool together and have a giant sale twice a year.

Looking through the business books, I came across an old copy of Benjamin Graham's book The Intelligent Investor. This is the book that Warren Buffett often cites. I looked at the title page and it was the second edition, printed in 1937 I think. I seemed to recall that Buffett preferred the second edition because Graham had supplmented it, so I plunked down 2 bucks for it. Sure enough, this was a highly collectible book and was able to sell it for $400.

Now, I have probably made hundreds of trips to bookstores and book sales, and this was the best thing I ever came across, well almost. I did find the 20 volume set of the Oxford English Dictionary on Craigslist twice and managed to flip them on eBay twice for at least $1000. Bigger profit but a less interesting story.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Silver4face » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:30 pm

Steve, your idea is great, but there's one small problem: you already created this thread 4 years ago. It is called "what did you find" and was created on Dec 14th of 2019. It has around 35 responses. Therefore, which thread do I report my findings?
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:56 am

Silver4face wrote:Steve, your idea is great, but there's one small problem: you already created this thread 4 years ago. It is called "what did you find" and was created on Dec 14th of 2019. It has around 35 responses. Therefore, which thread do I report my findings?

Please report findings to the OTHER thread. (I totally forgot about the old one. If someone can add the link to the old thread in this one, that would be nice.)

More to follow…on “What Did You Find?” created 12/14/19 by yours truly.

Recyclersteve

Postby Silver4face » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:27 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Silver4face wrote:Steve, your idea is great, but there's one small problem: you already created this thread 4 years ago. It is called "what did you find" and was created on Dec 14th of 2019. It has around 35 responses. Therefore, which thread do I report my findings?

Please report findings to the OTHER thread. (I totally forgot about the old one. If someone can add the link to the old thread in this one, that would be nice.)

More to follow…on “What Did You Find?” created 12/14/19 by yours truly.

Yes, it was created by YOU truly, but resurrected by ME truly. LOL
Buy rolls NOW while you still can!
Silver4face
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:24 pm

Great teamwork- thx for the assist!

Recyclersteve

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About