Just in case

A forum for the discussion of stocking up on non-coin or non-metals survival and comfort items, skills, ideas and anything else that might help if things get bad. Post item lists, where to find bargains, storage ideas and security issues/ideas, and other relevant topics.

Just in case

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 am

Today might be a good day to fill the tanks in all your vehicles.

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Just in case

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:54 am

Old Joe was just sworn in, how long before fracking is banned and we are buying oil from Iran.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Today will probably be the lowest you will see gas prices in the next 4 years and maybe the rest of your life if him and the people surrounding him get their way.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:53 pm

hirbonzig wrote:Old Joe was just sworn in, how long before fracking is banned and we are buying oil from Iran.

I’ll correct myself, no need for oil at all. We will meet our growing energy needs with wind and solar. :roll:
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:26 pm

Told my wife that I was going to start signing Executive Orders around the house. Other people in White Houses who haven't a clue about real life seem to be issuing them by the stack. Why not me??

My plan wasn't received well. My wife told me she was working on an Executive Order...for me. My diet has been officially changed to half rations of dust, spiders and newspaper.

What next?????
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Changechecker » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:02 pm

A storage tank would have been good to have. Average price this weekend $2.59 up thirty five cents since inauguration day
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:32 am

I got a 1,000 liter tote (265 gal). It was free. It was clean, no nasty chemicals were in it. I spent about $80 to make a connector, fuel hose, filter, valve and end cap. I also got a jug of diesel treatment so the fuel will store a long time.

The tote is hidden in the tin shed on stilts, so I can flow the fuel into carry jugs to take where it is needed.

If nothing goes south, that is over 2 years of fuel the way I'm using it now. The plan is to fill it with diesel, hopefully just before the SHTF.

I have a diesel backup generator for the house, a diesel Ford 4x4 F250, and a diesel Mercedes. Thinking about selling the gas Mercedes and getting a diesel VW Sportwagen.

- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:50 am

Well done! I think that's awesome! I think fossil fuel prices are going up, so worst case (as far as the decision) is you have invested in fuel and hedged against future price increases. If SHTF, diesel is a great fuel to be using. I'm a bit exposed in regard to fuel selection, at the moment. Considering a move to diesel in the future but haven't executed yet.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:35 am

Back during Y2K I had filled a few 55 gallon drums with Kerosene. Long since used up but it was a great investment at the time. I was ahead of the curve having bought at $1.10 per gallon right before the price tripled. I think commodities are/will be good investments in the years ahead.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Why kero? Fueling your jet?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:26 pm

Generally kerosene can be swapped with diesel for vehicle fuel, but kero makes for better stove or lighting fuel. So it can be more versatile than diesel. There isn't a specific fixed chemical formula for either, just performance specs on how they are supposed to behave.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Changechecker » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:44 pm

I used kerosene for heaters. My garage when I worked on vehicles. I also had a 50 x 60 shop I sometimes heated with kerosene as a supplement to the woodstove.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Return to Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About